MCinKC's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 5:09 PM

Two identical TV's with Two Different Uverse boxes

I recently finished my basement 'man cave' complete with two identical 42" Vizio (Model E422VLE) LCD's. I have ATT Uverse, but am working with two different boxes: a Motorola VIP1200 DVR box and the other is one of ATT's newer Cisco wirelss boxes.

I programmed one ATT remote to work the TV volume and other functions, and both TV's also respond to that remote. The ATT remotes look identical and sure enough, when I change the channel, both TV's channel changes.

I don't mind having two remotes, but am open to purchasing a universal remote as well. Is there a way to change the code on one remote, so that each works its Uverse box independantly? What other remote options do I have?

Thanks in advance!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

MCinKC - It really is pretty complicated -

Normal control is separated by two different IR formats. Both the TV and the remote have the same format. Universal remotes are coded to the specific format. Use TVs with different formats to keep them separate & universally controllable.

In theory, there could be another level of separation by a pairing code. But, as JefferMC says, there is no known product that does this & a universal remote probably would not. U-verse remote definitely not.

If you want to keep the TVs the same you can seamlessly control the volume on one in the STB. I have done this & recommended it to others to solve various problems.

But, you will still have conflict on any other TV controls unless you use two TVs with different IR formats.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

MCinKC - I think I finally understand your last question - Can programming the two U-verse remotes with different codes make them control different TVs.

The answer is no because the TV you want to not change can see an IR signal that it recognizes and will change. That is where I went wrong (oops) in my recommendation.

Each TV needs something unique to tell it the IR signal is intended for it. Right now that is the same for each TV you have.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have two different TVs in living room, one is using the point anywhere remote and the other a standard remote.  When I use the standard remote to change the channel it changes on both TVs.  When I use the point anywhere remote it only changes the TV it's setup for.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.