Maddog8759's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 9:26 PM

Samsung HW-E450 remote codes.

Hello all.

I have the above mentioned sound bar. I have been unable to get my uverse remote to work with the sound bar. I have tried all the codes listed on the manual to no such luck.

Does anybody know of a specific code that works? I would hate to spend more money on a different remote.

Thanks

Todd

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Maddog8759 - Codes for you to try 2191-4, 2294,5, 2299 2314, 4002, 4032,3 4036, 4042, 4047, 5139

Test codes for on/off. When TV is programmed, volume control is ALWAYS TV. You need to change that for soundbar volume control. Do you always want soundbar or just sometimes??

You need to program to include it in one button turn on/off.
If you find the right code, it still may not be friendly to use.

How much would you be willing to spend on another remote?? Least expensive is newegg.com has Logitech Harmony refurb model 300 for $17 including shipping.
Better is models 600, 650 or 700 with multiple activities - you can turn it on with or without soundbar & have seamless remote function (TV volume or soundbar volume - same buttons).
I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides more efficient control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F).

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. No ability to sequence devices or introduce delay.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the same issue!! Have you found any solutions yet?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I, too, am looking for an answer. I have tried all the codes I have been able to find online to no avail.  Using the search method does not work either (after 400+ button presses).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have programmed my remote to control the volume with the auxiliary, but none of the codes I can find work for this soundbar!  I REALLY hate having to use more than one remote on a daily basis!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

cmcpherson68 - If you REALLY do hate using more than one remote the solution is easy - See post 2 above.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hope that I am not too late for some here, but for anyone else that does not feel like buying a new remote control I found that you can indeed control the volume to the Samsung HW-E450 via the supplied U-Verse remote control.  It is kind of a hack solution, but it works

I have the U-Verse cable signal sent to the TV via HDMI and the TV sound going out to the Samsung HW-E450 via Optical Cable.

Turn the volume of your TV speakers down to 0.

Set your Samsung HW-E450 to power on / off when it receives a digital signal.  Do this by pushing the Auto Power button on your Samsung HW-E450 remote control.   A message will display on the soundbar letting you know wether this feature is on or off.  Your soundbar will now power on when the TV is turned on.  Remember this is only when your Samsung HW-E450 is connected to via the Optical Input, not HDMI. The Samsung HW-E450 will shut itself off after a short time of not receiving any digital signals. 

The AT&T U-Verse cable box can control the volume output on it's own.  But the TV codes control the volume buttons on the remote control.  That needs to be changed.

Assign the volume controls to the AT&T U-Verse cable box. You do this by pressing (and hold) the AT&T button and the "OK" button simultaneously for a second or two .  The top lights will flash twice.  Enter in the code "955" on the keypad and then the AT&T button again.  The AT&T button light will flash twice to confirm.  Press the AT&T button one more time.  The AT&T button will do one long flash to confirm the command.

Use your Samsung HW-E450 remote set the sound bar's volume at a decent listening level (use volume level in the soundbar's display, I used 20 myself).  

You should now be able control the volume from the AT&T U-Verse remote.  Volume up / down / mute are all done by the U-Verse box and not the sound bar. There will be an on screen display to give up a visual indictor of the volume level.

It might not help anyone that has already had this issue but it might help someone that Googles for solutions like I was this week. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Hi,

I read your post and tried the suggestions you made. The hack one for the volume control on the remote worked, but I am still unable to get the remote to control the soundbar as far as getting it to go on and off.

I understand the unit will turn on on it's on, but when I turn on the cable box and tv, I would love for the sound bar to turn on also. When it doesn't that's when that second remote comes in. . Do you have anymore suggestions for that issue?

I do have the tv connected with an optical cable. I also have the sound bar on the auto power selection. The Uverse remote will not turn it off. I have even tried programming the aux button, the codes will do the flashing as if it is taking, but the remote will not turn off the soundbar. At this point it will only control the volume on the soundbar.

Thanks.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

It sounds like the auto on is dependent on the "seeing the light" over the optical cable.

Or, does it require a sound signal riding the light?

For off, it says it will turn off after some period of time when there is no sound. Maybe you could find out how long that is supposed to be.

Is the optical to soundbar connected to the TV or the U-verse STB? If the TV, try the STB as a test. It can be permanent if you do not need it for something else.

I can see where you want to connect to the TV to take advantage of all sources, but some TVs will not pass the surround signal through.

So, you need to be sure the light is on & there is sound signal can be decoded as either stereo or surround. You can see light in the cable - from the side - do not look directly in.

Aftter that all you can do is try swapping sources and checking with the mfgr. If the TV and the soundbar are the same mfgr they may have auto on via HDMI, as well.

Post your TV & SB models & I will look up the manuals.

I looked up the manual for HW-E450 & it says that it may take a few seconds for sound to com on automatically & 20 minutes to turn off automatically.

Since autopower is a toggle, be sure it is on. It also says CEC must be off. This is the HDMI version of auto on that I said you may be able to apply, if your TV has it.

If you have or will be adding any sources other than U-verse, you should consider a more robust remote.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Ace for your reply. I appreciate your input. I did follow your directions and here is what I found.

I have the Samsung HW-F355 soundbar and UN55D6000 Samsung TV. I was able to use the U-verse remote to control the volume on the SB by using the code 955. So, I can control the volume.

I removed the digital cord and placed it in the AT&T cable box. I was still able to control the sound, but what I found is that the soundbar wouldn't shut down even when I used the remote for it. It would shutdown and then come right back on. I waited to see if it would shutdown by itself, but it would not. 

One other thing I found out is that the soundbar resets to 20 every time it is shut down. The U-verse remote will only increase the volume to a level of 25, but you don't see this on the soundbar, it doesn't correspond to the soundbar, but still increases the volume somehow.

The tv volume is down to 0, auto power on, smart volume on. The tv sound cannot be controlled by the u-verse remote, tv remote and even the SB remote. The tv volume doesn't work since I did the 955 code on the U-verse remote for it to control the volume on the SB. 

When the cable is plugged into the tv, the soundbar does not shutdown when the tv and cable box are turned off. It will shutdown with it's remote and will turn on with the U-verse remote.  It has a delayed power on which is about 5-10 seconds.

It comes on at a low level, but still acceptable. It resets to the sound level of 20, so if you want it any louder you will have to use the SB remote to increase the volume and then the tv will go louder but only if the volume is increased on the SB, if that makes sense. I

f the smart volume is on, the bass is louder and the sound level is lower. In my opinion the sound is clearer with it off, but I like more treble in my sound anyway. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

I wanted to ask why is it important for the light to be on with the digital cable? It was at first, but the light doesn't come on at either end now. Is that going to be an issue? Do I need to purchase another one? I can say, it is difficult to connect them. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.