Don_H's profile

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

Thursday, July 4th, 2013 3:33 AM

Apple TV Remote Code

I have Apple TV (3rd gen) and want to be able to control it with my U-verse remote. My remote is the black S10-S3 model.

I programmed the U-Verse remote AUX button with code 5028. Can turn the Apple TV on, all functions work, UP Down Left Right OK Menu Pause-Forward, but cannot turn the Apple TV off.

Using the Apple remote pressing the Pause-Forward button for a few seconds shuts the Apple TV off, but no combo I can find on the U-Verse romote will accomplish this. I've set the Apple TV to auto shutoff after 15 minites of inactivity so the answer isn't critical as the Apple TV will turn off on its own but I'd just like to have control of the situation.

Does anyone use a key combo or a different code to accomplish the shuttofff ?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Don_H - You are on the cutting edge of this application. You are way ahead of any other post I have seen on applying Apple TV to the U-verse remote. Most cannot seem to get it to work at all.

Also, I am confused what the sequence is - I first thought there are two buttons = Pause & forward. If pressed in order they will shut down the Apple TV. If the two buttons work individually the sequence should also work. That would be a function of the receiver, not the remote.

But, if you mean simultaneous press, I would not expect that to work on any remote except Apple. That requires a stretch in basic function.

In the buttons supported you list you list pause-forward as working. Is it one button & just holding it longer initiates shut down. Sounds like the shutdown on the wireless keyboard - hold down the power button. Again, this is a function of the receiver, not the remote.

If you are missing an IR function, you could try point anywhere remote and teach it the button press.

Another alternative is a Logitech Harmony, They just came out with a step into wi-fi on IOS devices(including a regular remote) for $100.

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
Also, I am confused what the sequence is - I first thought there are two buttons = Pause & forward. If pressed in order they will shut down the Apple TV. If the two buttons work individually the sequence should also work. That would be a function of the receiver, not the remote.

But, if you mean simultaneous press, I would not expect that to work on any remote except Apple. That requires a stretch in basic function.

Apple  always has to be different LOL.

There is no Power button, simply press any key and Apple TV turns on.

The Pause-Forward is one key, same as when watching live U-Verse TV, press Pause once to stop, press Pause again to resume.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

11 years ago

I either just leave it on (goes to sleep based on sleep time setting), or use the sleep now selection in menu.

Dlck

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Don_H - Re: The Pause-Forward is one key, same as when watching live U-Verse TV, press Pause once to stop, press Pause again to resume.

OK, so that works?? But, you think it should somehow turn it off. What are you trying to do to turn it off?

Or

Is it as dgoddard1 says - There is no off button. It would not surprise me. I believe I read Steve Jobs did not like off buttons.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

11 years ago

There is no Off. It is either active or sleeping (standby) like almost all electronics today.

Dlck

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks for posting the code (5028) with your question, it helped me get my remote to work with my Apple TV. As the others have pointed out, navigate to Settings > Sleep Now to shut it down. With a standard Apple remote, holding down the play button while on the home screen will put it to sleep but it doesn't work with the AT&T remote because the play button sends the same signal as the Ok button. This will let you rearrange your icons though.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

5028 no longer works with Apple TV 3rd Gen. 5170 seems to work with U-verse remote S10-S4.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

So, I reread this discussion on the pause-forward button. I see that I got it that it is the pause button and toggles on off with multiple presses. The sleep mode is activated by holding gown the pause button. It would seem that if the "long hold" is detected in the apple TV that any other remote, including U-verse, should be able to replicate it. But, if the circuit is in the remote to send a different IR signal after being depressed for a few seconds, it can be replicated only with a learning remote.

Logitech does seem to look into this level of detail. It might be interesting to see if they can shed any light on how this works.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, I used code 1028 today and it worked on my S10-S4 remote.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you all, this string of posts was very helpful and will drive my neighbor insane as he tries to figure out how I got the uverse remote to work the Apple TV.

I will share this after a little bit of fun though.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.