For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
kmerenda's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Monday, January 28th, 2013 2:13 PM

Wireless Receiver Brings Down Network When Plugged Into Ethernet

I have a 2-wire 802.11b/g gateway connected to a wired u-verse DVR and a u-verse WAP for the wireless receivers.  I then have 2 wireless receivers.  One of the receivers I use wirelessly, but the other is connected via ethernet because its primary location is very far from the WAP.  Both receivers are paired with the WAP, but only one is actually running wirelessly.

This setup worked fine until this weekend, when the wireless receiver that was connected via ethernet started acting up.  I rebooted that receiver, and it booted back up into update mode (gear with progress bar, then 2 gears with progress bar, then a few more reboots. then back up).  Now, when I plug ethernet into that wireless receiver, it causing packet loss across my entire WAN.  When I plug that receiver into the LAN, my other two receivers will start to show really gittery picture/audio, and a ping to Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) will start to have 50-60% packet loss.  The second I unplug the ethernet from the wireless receiver, the problem stops. 

I called tech support and the said they found a problem outside and were going to send an outside tech, but my service works fine as long as this one receiver isn't connected to ethernet.  I've only seen packet loss like this before when two devices on the same LAN have the same MAC address. 

Is it possible this could be because the wireless receiver is paired with the WAP and connected to the LAN at the same time?  Doesn't seem likely, but the only other thing I can come up with is that the NIC on the receiver is shot.  Either way, it feels like AT&T may be wasting my time investigating outside, unless there is actually another problem in addition to this one.

Employee

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

Is the wireless receiver paired with the cisco WAP at the same time?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I have tried several different switches, all with the same result.  I tried a netgear 5-port gigabit switch, a 3Com 2900 serials 24-port gigabit switch, and an Apple time capsule set in bridge mode with all devices and RG connected to the LAN ports.

In my living room, where everything is working fine (as long as the wireless receiver is not plugged into ethernet), I have the drop from the RG plugged into a LAN port on a cisco 802.11 AC smart wifi router, with the router configured to bridge mode so it servers as a switch and wireless AP.  My u-verse DVR and a few game consoles also connect to the smart wifi router LAN ports.  This setup has been working for well over a month without issue.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I assume the wireless receiver is paired with the WAP at the same time it is plugged into ethernet.  When I reboot the receiver it never asks me to pair, and it works when I disconnect the ethernet.  I don't know if the WAP connection stays active when the ethernet connection is established.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Do you have details on how to do the disaster recovery?  That is information I've been looking for.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Disaster recovery can only be done on a DVR as far as I know.  Here is a link to how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQq0OjqVUGU

Employee

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

You can disaster recover any of the recievers, press and hold OK and Down arrow on the box, keeping them held presse and hold Power till it turns off, still holding OK and Down, press power to turn it back on, when you see the spinning wheel, release Power and OK. It should go through a software update

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

11 years ago

You may plug a reciever into a switch.  You can plug multiple recievers into a switch.

You may not plug a wireless access point (other than the one that broadcasts to wireless recievers, that one is special in that it handles the multicast IPTV traffic better) into the same switch as an STB/DVR.

I'm making the assumption that the Wireless Receiver is smart enough not to attempt to broadcast the traffic it gets on its wired port out on the wireless antenna (i.e. itself act as an access point), but I do not know this for a fact.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just wanted to add to this. I was having the exact same issue. As soon as I plug in the VAP that att provides, my entire network experiences high ping times and lots of packet loss. Un-plug it, and the network instantly goes back to normal. When the VAP is plugged in, it kills internet and all tv's go out and will not reconnect. I just hardwired all my receivers last night and am now working normally again thanks to this thread. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.