Posted Jan 3, 2010
Vizio Soundbar Compatibility with U-Verse Remote Control

I have the Vizio VSB210WS Sound Bar and I was hoping to sync the remotes, so I don't have to use the Vizio remote just for the volume, but I haven't been able to do so.

Has anyone else had success doing this with a Vizio soundbar????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
11-10-2012 3:19:13 AM
(0)
dragunsfyre -
I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F).

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. No ability to sequence devices or introduce delay.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Vizio Soundbar Compatibility with U-Verse Remote Control

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2010
(0)

The following remote codes are for Vizio TVs, but one of them may work with your Sound Bar:

1343, 1018, 1004, 0178, 0502, 0627, 1756, 1758, 0128, 0117, 1017, 1078, 0030, 0056

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Vizio Soundbar Compatibility with U-Verse Remote Control

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2010
(0)
What do I need to do on the UV remote to enter these codes?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2010
(0)

The instructions are available in the U-Verse Remote Control User Guide.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 18, 2010
(0)

Did you ever find a code that works?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 15, 2010
(0)

I am not the original poster, but I have the Vizio VSB210WS sound bar and I was able to get my U-verse remote to control the sound bar using the remote's "automatic search" facility described in the following document:

http://alanweinkrantz.typepad.com/3screens/files/remote_control_user_guide.pdf

I used the "home theater in a box" option in step 6.

If I knew how to interrogate the remote to tell you what code the search facility selected, I would.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 21, 2010
(0)

Yes, this works! Open the PDF link and  follow the steps in Section B - Using the Automatic Search. It took a little bit  before it found the code but  I had TV on so I could tell when the sound went off. I kept pushing the Play button instead of holding it down not sure if that matters.  Thanks anotherlogin! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2011
(0)

the code is 4062

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2011
(0)

Hey, this code wont work with my VHT210 sound bar.  According to manuel, the 4 digit code is 1517.
Auto find wont work either.  Anyone have any suggestions? Need help despartely !

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2011
(0)

after lots of research this is what I found, and it worked for me. 

Enter the code 4020 Manually. Now after doing this you cannot control the volume, but if you do the step for always sending volume or channel commands to one device then it will work when you select aux. 

Hope that helps.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2012
(0)

We've tried all of the codes in this post so far and can't get the Vizio MODEL NUMBER: VSB210WS to power on or off.

We did however get the volume control to work by setting the default audio level from the U-verse box by programming ATT key. Anyone have an additional key?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2012
(0)
sammitch - Someone reported code 4020 worked for a different model sound bar.

If you have the STB varying the volume when in the att mode, that is a good work around when watching U-verse, but is no good for watching DVD or OTA.

If you need more flexibility get a Logitech Harmony model 300 from Radio Shack for $30 or search for deals.

If you want different activities, Like watch TV with TV sound vs watch TV with sound bar sound vs watch DVD etc. then go for a model 650n or higher. Just saw the 650 at costco for $60.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 4, 2012
(0)

After google'ing and following all of these steps - TO NO AVAIL - I finally figured it out!  

Here is what I did, step by step, and it worked... I almost fell to the floor in disbelief :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

• Step 1 - Turn on the Vizio Soundbar
  • Step 2 - Point the remote control at the Sound bar.
  • Step 3 - Press and hold the AUX along with the ENTER key (bottom right key on remote, NOT the OK key). Hold both keys for one second, then release. The four mode keys on the Remote Control flash twice to indicate you are in search mode.
  • Step 4 - Repeatedly press the SCAN\FF key until the device turns OFF (the selected mode key will flash once for each press of the SCAN\FF key). Pause briefly between each key press to allow your device enough time to respond.
  • Step 5 - Press the POWER button on the Remote to turn the equipment back on.
  • Step 6 - Check VOLUME and MUTE. Do not test using REW\SCAN, SCAN\FF, FWD, EXIT. If there is any problem with any of the keys, press the SCAN\FF button and search until you find a code which will operate all the function properly.
  • Step 7 - Press the ENTER key to save the programming. The appropriate mode key will give a long flash indicating successful programming.

Then, after  you get the remote to recognize the sound bar you will then have to program the remote to use the AUX (Soundbar) as the main volume control for all of your devises (TV, DVD, Etc.).  Here is how I did that:

* Step 1: Press and hold down the "AT&T" button on the U-verse remote. As you are doing this, press the "OK" button. (Yes, the OK button, NOT the Enter button!)  Release both buttons at the same time. The remote is ready when the mode buttons flash twice.

*  Step 2: Press 955 within 10 seconds. The AT&T mode button will flash twice to indicate that the code has been recognized.

*  Step 3:  Press the "AUX" button. Watch for the mode button to flash three times confirming volume control assignment.

That's it!  Super excited to finally have ONE remote :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012
(0)
There is an easier way to program the remote if anyone is still trying to figure it out. I finally got it and am so happy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2012
(0)

Thanks, Livesublime! Your solution worked perfectly for me. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012
(0)

Care to share that with the rest of us? :smileyhappy:

Bobuis14 wrote:
There is an easier way to program the remote if anyone is still trying to figure it out. I finally got it and am so happy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012
(0)
They also spammed the Vizio Soundbar forum at avsforum.com. I am guessing that they did a quick search and spammed every forum that mentioned about using a third party remote with the vizio soundbar.

I found a way to make a third party remote work with the Vizio, and that was by purchasing a Logitech Harmony 300 remote.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012
(0)

Thanks for the info.  If you see them again, do an abuse report to the mods.

gregzoll_1 wrote:
They also spammed the Vizio Soundbar forum at avsforum.com. I am guessing that they did a quick search and spammed every forum that mentioned about using a third party remote with the vizio soundbar.

I found a way to make a third party remote work with the Vizio, and that was by purchasing a Logitech Harmony 300 remote.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012
(0)
Livesublime is spot on. In the auto search directions in the remote manual from at&t it says to hit aux and ok at same time. It is aux and ENTER at same time for 1 second. Follow livesublimes outline and you will get it going correctly. Be patient...it took 236 scan clicks to find my vizio device. But it is worth it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)
saga192003, it only works with the Black, not Silver remote. This is a dead subject at this point. Time for everyone to move on.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012
(0)

Which Uverse remote do you have?   I have the S10-S3 and a Vizio VSB207 SoundBar and I can't get the auto-search to find the code.  I've gone through the sequence twice, attempting to assign the SoundBar control to the AUX button.  I went through about 200+ clicks of hte Scan/FF key with no success.    Anybody else have any tips?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Nov 10, 2012
(0)
dragunsfyre -
I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20). These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending $$ for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) -

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300 advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years).

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2...

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote.

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input. Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity .

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement. If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. No ability to sequence devices or introduce delay.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 17, 2012
(0)
Thank you, Aviewer. This is the first post I've seen which adequately describes the problem and offers a valid solution. Advice taken and Kudos your way for taking the time to respond.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 17, 2012
(0)
dragunsfyre - YW - TY for the recognition.
By advice taken do you wean you bought a Harmony. which one did you get? If you did not get one yet I just checked newegg.com & they have model 700 refurb for $55.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2013
(0)

Oops!  Seems like someone else had already posted the directions! 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2013
(0)

SUCCESS !!!   -  Thanks to Livesublime's suggestion, I have a fully functioning U-Verse RF Remote that works with my VIZIO VSB210WS Sound Bar.

IMPORTANT - BE PATIEINT (and persistent) when using the SCAN/FF key to advance through the codes (Step 4 in the Livesublime suggestions) - I pressed the button around 200 times until it found the right code and shut off the power. 

Very excited to have one remote that works with all the TV components. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013
(0)

Thank you so much!!   These instructions worked flawlessly for my Sony Sound Bar (and I'm certain it will work with any other Sound Bars).

One quick note:   if you happen to pass the code that worked while pressing "SCAN->\FF",  I pressed "REW\<-SCAN" to go back a couple of codes and found the one that did work for turning off my sound bar.  After which point, you press the "Power" button along with the Volume buttons and "Mute" button to ensure it works well with your sound bar.

I had to press the "SCAN->\FF" for a long while before reaching the proper code for Sony.

Thanks again for posting the solution to my headache of having multiple remotes!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2014
(0)

When you now start your equipment with the UVerse remote, does it power on the UVerse DVR/receiver, the TV and the sound bar but there is no sound from the TV's speakers but just the sound bar?  And the volume buttons on the UVerse remote only control the sound bar volume?