Posted Jan 5, 2014
7:48:05 AM
VIZIO S3820w-C0 Soundbar- Impossible to set up?

I have been through 5 pages of Google and many more searches on here and I had no luck.  I've tried nearly very "this worked for me" guide on the forums to no avail.  I have the S10-S4 remote if that helps.

Looking forward to any replies, thanks!

VIZIO S3820w-C0 Soundbar- Impossible to set up?

[ Edited ]
13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 7:58:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If your trying to find a code for your remote that will control the soundbar go to menu on the remote the the help section, then set up remote.  You can find your remote then it will have a list of codes by device.

These would be the most recent AT&T has.  You could also purchase another remote such as a Harmony that will do what you want.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: VIZIO S3820w-C0 Soundbar- Impossible to set up?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 7:58:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
reinert012 - If you cannot find a code for the Vizio (many have had the same problem), you can control volume on the STB with the following programming -

att/OK - 955- enter
The volume control will then follow the mode button.
In att mode set the volume so that 15 appears on the screen.
In the TV mode, set the TV to a comfortable level.
In the AUX mode, set the Vizio to a comfortable level.

While watching in the att mode, the volume control will transparently vary the STB volume to your desired volume for the TV or the Vizio, whichever you are using for audio. .

Or, you can get the following remote - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 8:03:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately under the help section in the menu it does not have any codes for sound bars, just DVDs and TVs.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 8:10:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

@aviewer 

how do I undo what you just told me to do?

EDIT- FIgured it out.  Looks like I will have to explor the other you linked above.

thanks for all the help.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 9:15:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
@reinert012 - Was there a problem varying the STB sound? I would like to know, so that I can add more or stop recommending it. Please let me know.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 10:07:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

@aviewer 

Yes, it mute button on the remote would freeze my tv, umuting it would resume play and catch up to live tv.  It wasn't acting like a pause.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 5, 2014 10:38:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
@reinert012 - Well that stinks. That is either IR corruption or overload. You can determine if it is IR corruption by building a tent with a pole & blanket from your wrist to the STB & pressing the mute button while the remote, STB and path between them are blocked from any outside light. If the problem persists, it is caused by IR overload. The solution for that is to cover the IR sensor on the STB with something that barely lets light pass. A perfect tape for the job has a link below.

The following has more insights on the various problems with the remotes -

IR Issues

Going back 5-6 years there are many posts about IR interference. Remedies included taping over the IR sensor, hiding the STB, turning off auto brightness on the TV.

A common fault was the info button press corrupting to an STB mute action. The number of reports of this have totally fallen away. My personal initial primary problem was getting the zero to register. But, one day long ago that just went away.

Niles Audio Corp. makes IR repeaters & has a video on their web site showing the fragility of the IR coding that is used for U-verse & other boxes. They said their new line of repeaters could handle it. Oddly, a U-verse customer posted in this community that they had a NIles install that was not working & after they contacted Niles they did not get any satisfactory resolution.

I came to believe that the IR sensor is too sensitive, That the DVR is worse than other STBs. That command type buttons are worse than the number buttons. That, somehow software updates can make it better or worse, So, it is a moving target. Hard to pin down.

I noticed that the U-verse remote does work better than my Logitech Harmony model 700. I looked at the IR signal through a digital camera. It appeared to me that the Harmony IR signal is stronger than the U-verse remote. This reinforces my theory that the IR sensor is too sensitive.

Recently, my most common problem was FF and Play Buttons often corrupted to chan up and chan down more than six times a night while watching recorded shows, exclusively.

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

This tape has a degree of transparency. I thought I would use it to cover the IR sensor. The remote has never worked better. In over 100 evenings since I applied the tape - watching recordings while FF through the ads - I have not had one chan up - chan down corruption . Previously, there would have been at least 6x100=600 occurrences.

Almost all button presses are accepted & none are changed to a different action.

RF Issues

It should not be a surprise, but it is, that half the problems with the RF remote are IR. I run an STB well hidden for a second TV. I had the IR sensor covered with black tape. I replaced the black tape with the "duct tape" & saw an immediate improvement in response to menu buttons. The number buttons were already good - see below for that solution.

The STB using RF must be hidden due to the dongle conversion of RF to IR. If it is not hidden it is subject to the following problems:

IR corruption - Ironically, the RF remote was often offered as a resolution for IR problems. But, if the STB is not hidden nothing has changed to eliminate theI IR corruption problem. If the corrupting light can be seen by the STB IR sensor it will continue to corrupt the IR signal.

If the STB IR sensor can see IR from another remote, it will respond to it.

If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it.

Note that hidden means the IR does not see outside light - If you have an optical repeater(like the Niles mentioned above) it is IR subject to corruption. If you have an IR receiver that produces RF to go through a wall, it is still IR subject to corruption. Any optical link open to the room is still open to IR corruption.

Only if the remote is RF (like the point anywhere remote) transmitted to a well hidden device will it ward off IR corruption. The ultimate solution is a wireless remote app. These are available, but incomplete & other devices do not yet support wireless remote. But, the Buddy TV remote can be used for a u-verse STB.

Previously, I found the RF remote lacking in RF power - in the same room, twelve feet away, hidden only by a thin sheet of cardboard. One method to increase RF power is to hold the remote under your chin while pressing a button - using your head as an antenna.

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=U...

With this antenna, the channel numbers are almost always accepted. With the "duct tape" in place, the other buttons work almost every time. The remote now works better than ever.

But, recently, I discovered that weakened batteries triggers poor results due to low power. If the remote starts acting up go for fresh batteries. Before I realized the batteries were low I was getting better RF by holding it against a metal arm of a reading light.

To increase RF sensitivity - Cut off the base and one leg of a wire coat hanger (one piece). Hold the short leg perpendicular to the dongle and wrap the longer end around the dongle a few turns until the two perpendicular ends are about the same length (about 3”). Cut the longer one to the same length as the shorter one.

STB Issues

Once IR and RF issues are resolved, there are timing issues with the STB to contend with. Numbers process fast and Menu items process slow. You need quick, light touch on some numbers to avoid duplicates and a slow, strong press on menu activities. Effort is required to suppress the urge to press again while waiting for a response. It takes concentration to get effective results. Frequently a second press immediately cancels a slow responding first press. Current IR and RF issues amplify the effect of the timing issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2014 5:16:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

im having the same problem with the same remote (S10-S4) and the same sound bar (vizio S3820w-CO)

auto set up doesnt find a code for it and the manual set up only has codes for tv and dvd players from vizio

the answers given in here dont make any sense to me?  ive been through the help menu in the box and tried entering manually but nothing seems to be working...

help please? :smileyhappy:

(first things first... i dont even know what remote to tell the tv im using... it looks like a simple black remote but the S4 isnt listed there... it doesnt seem to be any of the others tho)

thank you in advance!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2014 6:16:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
vallonzek - There is not necessarily a code for every device.
You can use the vizio without programming for it if you are willing to turn it on/off with the vizio remote.
You can program the U-verse remote to control the sound level on the STB as follows -
att/ok (simultaneously - 955 - enter will cause the volume control to follow the mode button.
press att - press volume down to 15 on the TV screen
press TV - press volume up/down for comfortable volume from TV
Using visio remote set visio volume to comfortable level.

While watching in att mode with either TV audio or visio audio the U-verse remote volume up/down will vary your listening level.

Or, you can get this remote - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2014 10:32:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

bleh... ok... when i called for the remote i asked specifically if it would control it and was told yes... really really really glad i didnt buy the $60 one they tried to sell me first! heh...

i do more with my tv that just the cable box, i have 2 pc's and a bluray player that hook to it too, so, your suggestion wont work very well for that

this remote here, the cheap one:  http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-Device-Replacement-Universal/dp/B0028IKXLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

are you saying this remote will control all of the cable box's features?  if you dont want to say that, thats fine, but i dont think i'll buy it if it wont... if i have to have 2 remotes, i may as well go with the 2 i already have, instead of spending more money

for some reason, it wont let me zoom in on the pic to see if it has on demand buttons and guide and etc

also, for future refference... when programming it, im supposed to be using 'standard black remote'... right? 

and lastly, i would greatly appreciate it if you would send a note to update the codes and devices... its been kinda a while since they came out :smileyhappy:

thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014 6:56:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You cover a lot of ground here. I will try to answer -

bleh... ok... when i called for the remote i asked specifically if it would control it and was told yes... really really really glad i didnt buy the $60 one they tried to sell me first! heh...

Most universal remotes cannot cover everything. The U-verse remote is particularly weak because there is no business driver to justify the cost of building a robust one. The remote  you were offered may support the Vizio because it is a learning remote & can learn buttons from the Vizio remote. But, it is a lot of work. And, there are better alternatives.

i do more with my tv that just the cable box, i have 2 pc's and a bluray player that hook to it too, so, your suggestion wont work very well for that

Yes, I agree. That was the minimal/frugal suggestion. The robust/extravagant  suggestion is that if you have a setup deserving of a full function remote, such as a Logitech Harmony.

this remote here, the cheap one:  http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-Device-Replacement-Universal/dp/B0028IKXLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

are you saying this remote will control all of the cable box's features?  if you dont want to say that, thats fine, but i dont think i'll buy it if it wont... if i have to have 2 remotes, i may as well go with the 2 i already have, instead of spending more money

I do not have personal experience with this remote. I am going by what I can see and the reviews. A code should handle all the cable box features. If it does not it has learning from the U-verse and Vizio remote to capture any missing function. Since they are physical buttons you may have to compromise on button labels. The Logitech Harmony goes beyond this in two ways - Logitech can update the remote specifically for you, if needed & they have an LCD display so you can label the buttons as you like.

for some reason, it wont let me zoom in on the pic to see if it has on demand buttons and guide and etc

Click to get one offering page & click a display box & it has a (+) zoom then zoom the computer. Also, Google the model number for more images. I did the same when I was trying to find a remote. I bought the Logitech Harmony 700.

I found a manual to show details - http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/OARP05S/OARP05S_OM.pdf

also, for future refference... when programming it, im supposed to be using 'standard black remote'... right? 

U-verse  has a couple of versions (silver &black) that seem to have subtle programming differences to consider when programming. As far as use - any remote that generates the correct IR will work.

and lastly, i would greatly appreciate it if you would send a note to update the codes and devices... its been kinda a while since they came out 

I am not at&t. Also, I doubt the remote can be updated because it is a physical device that cannot be changed. For an update capability you need a Logitech Harmony. Unfortunately the inexpensive model 300 has been discontinued. Here is more background on the subject - 

I have recommended to many people that were unable to find codes to support their devices with the U-verse remote that they get a Logitech Harmony remote.

Many of those people feel they do not want to, or should not have to, spend their own money for a remote.

Others, have a very complex setup and are willing to spend their money to maximize their viewing experience.

The U-verse remote is effective for some subset of basic control functions on the most popular equipment, The Harmony provides full control of complex setups across a broader range of equipment.

Until sometime in 2011 the Harmony only offered expensive models (over $100). In 2011 they introduced the model 300 ($30) followed by the model 200 ($20).  These only support one activity (Not many for a Harmony, but same as U-verse) - Watch TV.

This writeup shows that, even though the basic descriptions sound the same, there are functional advantages to the Harmony. The question is - Is it worth spending  $$  for the Harmony.

Basic Similarity (Logitech Harmony Model 300 vs. U-verse remote) - 

Both can control four devices (STB, TV, DVD, Aux) under one activity - Watch TV.

Logitech Harmony Model 300  advantages -

Must be able to do something no other remote can do to convince you to spend $30 to buy it so Logitech can make a profit.

Monster library of supported devices built on budget for expensive remotes (amazing how libraries grow over the years). 

You can predetermine support of make & model via web site (http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2...

Since device support is defined in detail, a Logitech customer service rep (CSR) can help with any problems. When anything new comes out it can be added to your existing remote via download.

To program - Enter device make model in computer  based wizard. When device is supported, all functions are supported. IR signals can be learned from device remote. 

IR/function/button  map - You can map any button to any function. You can pick buttons based on your preference, instead of someone else's. Logitech can add any new IR code format to function mapping via download. CSR can download changes that affect only you,

Watch TV button - Turns on/off programmed devices. Sets correct input.  Ability to sequence devices and introduce delay between devices.

Change from Watch TV mode to individual device control with one button push and vice-versa. Same volume/mute buttons will affect different devices (STB, TV, HT) depending on device selected and the one user selected for the Watch TV activity. Note that the U-verse phantom mute can be un-muted with four logical button pushes - device mode, STB, mute, return to watch TV mode.

Supports some functions not available on standard remote - e.g. direct change of TV input - Instead of menu-navigate-select, Have a single button  for HDMI 1 & another for HDMI2 - change inputs with one button push.

Able to buy more advanced remotes for more money - Each step up adds more devices, more activities(e.g. Watch OTA, Watch DVD, Watch TV with HT sound), more display (LCD screen) of functions & recharge-ablity . 

Multiple activities appears to be a concept unique to the Logitech Harmony. It allows the same buttons to be programmed to different sets of inputs/functions/devices based on what the viewer is watching (i.e. an activity). The button map is unique to the activity. It can be as similar or different between activities/devices as you need it to be. Each activity has its own start up sequence to power up the selected devices & set inputs needed for continuity. It is especially valuable for complex setups and/or people with only basic knowledge of the operation of the remote.

*****************************************************************************************************

U-verse remote limitations -

U-verse  remote is provided free to watch U-verse TV. Support for some functions on some other devices is included so that it can be called "universal". But there is no business driver to spend money to assure full support of all functions on all possible devices .

Limited library of supported devices. Vague lists by type/mfgr. No model detail. No definitive/comprehensive list of codes. No "not supported" statement.  If support is not accomplished, there is no way to find out if it should be supported until you find that the remote works for you. Since device support is not defined in detail, customer service rep cannot help with problems.

To program- Enter an arbitrary code that may be difficult (or impossible) to determine or step through every possible entry using the search method. Possibly finding some partially supported sets along the way.  No IR learning.

IR/function/button  map - Button/IR map cannot change (need new physical remote). IR/function map can only change if U-verse globally changes STB software. No ability to provide individual tuning.

Watch TV (ATT/power) -  Turns on/off programmed devices. Does not set input. Devices can be sequenced but cannot introduce delay. sequence program - att/ok-977-mode buttons pressed in desired sequence-  enter.

Default mode of operation is Watch TV (Channel change on STB, Volume on TV, Power up STB/TV). To vary operation requires reprogramming with more arbitrary codes applied to individual functions. No clear distinction between Watch TV and individual device control (i.e. It is difficult to change operation between Watch TV and controlling individual devices by programming with codes.)

To clear phantom mute - att/ok - 955 - att - enter - mute - att/ok - 955 - tv - enter. 12 button pushes, where two are two finger. If you can remember how to do it.

Point anywhere remote is the only extra cost upgrade - provides RF (with STB pairing) and learning IR.

*************************************************************************************

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014 1:17:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

so... what youre saying is 'logitech harmony'?

lol

thank you, that was a ton of info and answered all my questions :smileyhappy:

didnt realize you werent with AT&T, sorry bout that :smileyhappy:

ok, i'll definitely look into the logitech harmony... its what a friend told me to do in the first place... but im cheap, so i had to try the free first :smileyhappy:

thanks again, you rock!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014 2:08:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
vallonzek - Thanks for closing the loop. I always appreciate it.