mcndev21's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 9:37 PM

Unresponsive or slow Motorola receiver

Hello,

Anyone else have the problem where the IR remote that comes with the Motorola receiver is very slow to operate the Motorola unit?  Channel change is slow, selecting Guide is slow, etc.  Even going right up to the receiver with the remote, it can be slow to respond.  I understand the IR remote requires line of sight, how much closer does it have to be if I am inches away from the unit with the remote?  I am not sure that going with the RF remote would alleviate this, surely other folks have this problem?

Thanks,

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I just turned the cable and tv on and pressed the cable box Menu.  Then went to Options and pressed "Restart".   System asked me to confirm I wanted to restart and I did.  The system rebooted ( or something) and the system came back on and said that there was an update for my TV service.  It loaded and a few minutes after the TV and system came back on (and I did wait a couple of minutes so all the info including dvr'd programs could reload), I used my remote and it was acting just fine.  Response time back to normal.  I'm in Northeastern Ohio, so don't know whether it is a nationwide fix.....surprised me.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Sometimes it takes many tries to get it to stay on the screen meaning be patient and keep trying the button every several seconds.  I have had to try for several minutes in some cases.  The reason it does not show up is because the service menu is displayed in the format you are trying to change.  What is the model number of the cable box you have?  The newer motorolas with a -2 or P2 at the end of the model have the setting in the regular cable box menu and is called SD format (or SD...something) and will give you the same options allthough what I have found is that those new ones are beiing delivered with the HD mode in 720p (change that to 1080i) and the SD format is in the "off" position.  change it to 480p.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

jlfonz,

I believe you are talking about different Motorola boxes. These are not cable boxes that U-Verse uses, these are IPTV receivers. They do not have this service menu that you speak of, to my knowledge, and definitely do not have a 480p output mode.

The resolution settings are available in the user-accessible menu under Menu -> Options -> System Options -> Aspect Ratio. The choices are 480i standard, 480i widescreen, 720p, and 1080i.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

What is the model number?  It should be right on the front of the box.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

For a fix to the slow remote responce or slowness in general see this thread.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

That thread shows nothing other than screenshots of memory usage.

My box has been slow for the past two weeks or so. Was sent a new box, but of course that didn't help. Tried different remote, and new batteries.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I only had only rebooted the affected receiver previously. Rebooted all 4 at once tonight and so far so good. Lets see how it goes after 24 hours.

Interestingly enough, during times when it was unresponsive to the remote, the remote feature within the iPad app worked perfectly.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Glad it helped you out!!  As I mentioned in the other thread, it appears that the amount of memory load seems to cause the boxes to start slowing down.  Once past about 85% things slow down.  This happened before around the 2010 time frame.  The same type of memory allocation was introduced and solved it then too. 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

So the slowness came back a couple of times this weekend.  Both times, I noticed that it started about 10 minutes after I turned on the tv with the wireless receiver in the kitchen.  Within a minute of turning off the wireless tv, the family rooom box started acting normal again.

At first, it makes me think that the wireless receiver is somehow increasing the resource load on the DVR box, which in turn slows down the others. (memory around 80% or so).  That may be possible, but the strange thing is that the slow box acts fine if I used the iPad App as a remote.  I would think that a slow box would be slow, regardless of how it interfaces with the remote control.

Anyone have an issue with the wireless receiver causing slow response on another box???

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

I used to have a wireless receiver in my living room but it kept losing signal so I requested a wired receiver and a tech came out and swapped it out. This receiver, looks like an old Motorola, is very, very slow. I have a wired receiver in my bedroom, newer one, and it ia quick. And before everyone says it's my connection you should know that the wired receiver in the bedroom used to be in the livng room and there wasn't a problem.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.