mcndev21's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, January 31st, 2013 9:37 PM

Unresponsive or slow Motorola receiver

Hello,

Anyone else have the problem where the IR remote that comes with the Motorola receiver is very slow to operate the Motorola unit?  Channel change is slow, selecting Guide is slow, etc.  Even going right up to the receiver with the remote, it can be slow to respond.  I understand the IR remote requires line of sight, how much closer does it have to be if I am inches away from the unit with the remote?  I am not sure that going with the RF remote would alleviate this, surely other folks have this problem?

Thanks,

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Have you RESET/RE-BOOTED all of your boxes including the DVR?  This will cause the boxes to update the memory allocation on each box and your problems will be solved.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mcndev21 - When you press function or number buttons on the remote - Watch the green oval light on the STB - It blinks when it receives the IR signal from the remote.

If it blinks immediately - then there is a delay - then it completes the function/number you pressed - It is not the remote - It is the STB processing your request taking too long.

If the light does not blink or blinks & then does the wrong function - The STB is not seeing a good IR signal - It is being corrupted by another source such as the TV screen or lighting.

You could test for this by hiding the remote and STB under a tent to see if it works better.

If it did the RF remote would solve the problem. But, the STB needs to be hidden in a cabinet so that the IR sensor does not still see the ambient light that is causing the problem.

If your problem is delay & not "the wrong result" it is probably just a slow processor. There seems to be a lot of that. Whole house DVR is probably too much work for the STB processor.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

Whenever I have real slow remote response I install new batteries and it works a whole lot faster.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Mine just started acting up in the last couple weeks too.  I have a Harmony 900 that I have been using since we got Uverse a couple years ago (cause we initially had problems with the slowness with the original remote signal, probably due to the TV) and put the box in our A/V cabinet with a RF blaster.  It had been working great until late last week when all of a sudden it started responding REALLY slow.  Like hold down the key I wanted for 2-4 seconds for it to register slow.  I tried rebooting the STB and the Router, but it didn't help.  My wife unplugged & replugged in the STB and it seemed to work okay again until this last Saturday where it started acting up again...

Not sure what is going on, but it's getting very annoying...

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Also: IF it seems to happen on most / all of your STBs, then check the capacity of your DVR's hard drive. IF the drive is full, or near full, the DVR cannot respond to the request as reliably, because it's very busy trying to buffer the streams to whichever TBs are active.

If there's also an active recording session, that may add to the issue.

For all but the 100 level subs (that don't have a DVR), the DVR is an active device ... since it has to do the buffering for "trick" features of whole home DVR (RT pause, etc), it has to coordinate with the STB regarding channel changes.  If the DVR is swamped, the whole system tends to respond more slowly.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

I know our DVR is about a little less then half full.  And we only use the one STB.  We have a second one in our guest room, but it really never gets used.  And our slowness happens during recording and non-recording times.  Right now it is all the time.  

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I'm having the same problem.  It started about a week ago.  The green button responds immediately to my press of the remote button, but the action on the screen is very delayed.  My batteries are  new and I don't have a heavy load of DVR programs.  

I also noticed that my incoming phone calls don't appear on my TV screen anymore, which caused me to look at the menu options - in addition to no longer having the option to route incoming calls through TV screen, there seem to be other changes to some of the menu options.  I wonder if there has been a software update that is causing the problems.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Change the 4:3 over-ride in the cable box service menu from 480i to 480p.  To access the menu leave the tv on and turn off the cable box.  hit the menu button on the cable box or cable box remote.  Use the arrow keys to navigate and change the setting, hit power twice to save and turn it back to it. While in there make sure the tv type is 16:9 and hdmi.yprpb output is on 1080i

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jlfonz - I hit menu on the box & menu on the remote & did not get a menu on my Motorola box.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Me, too.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.