seapickle's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, April 20th, 2014 12:13 AM

SlingBox Pro and setup with 2Wire HomePortal 3801HGV Gateway

Hello all...

I'm a new Uverse customer with a support question concerning setting up my SlingBox Pro with the 2Wire HomePortal 3801HGV Gateway and the Uverse VIP2250 TV box.

The SlingBox will not receive video on my iPhone 5 or computer unless the TV is turned on or I pull out the HDMI cable going into the VIP2250. Rather, I get the blue screen below on my IPhone or computer.

There is another thread on here that refers to using a Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitter but I cannot understand where the splitter fits in to solve the issue. The SlingBox Pro does not have an HDMI connection. I'm using component RGB cables from the VIP2250 to the SlingBox Pro.

I was with Verizon FiOS and the SlingBox Pro worked fine with their router and TV box. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!

Chris

ATTUverse_SlingBoxPro.jpg

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

seapickle - It is complicated. HDCP is used to block copying. When the HDMI is connected it must communicate to the 2250 that it is not connected to a copying device. U-verse may be more aggressive in this respect or it could be a fault with the 2250.

It seems like the 2250 should know that the TV is not on & does not need to see the non-recording device tag.
You are in uncharted territory.
Have you tried changing the input jack on the TV? Also, try selecting a different input on the TV when using the SB.
How about a real short HDMI cable?
Anything to isolate the TV - The sewell splitter, a passive splitter, a converter HDMI to component. Could get expensive.

How about a component splitter & connect both the TV & the SB component?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks aviewer for the quick reply.

I'm going to try the component splitter and report back, that should work.

I'm disappointed in HDCP and believe the 2250 should be able to support the SlingBox Pro with component cables while the HDMI is plugged in. Would be interesting to know if this blocking is done by ATT or the 2250.

Chris

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@seapickle 

I'm running my Slingbox off the Moto1200 STB and not the DVR, but it should be the same setup regardless.  I'm running HDMI to the TV and component to the Slingbox and do not have any issues with it. 

Have you tried swapping HDMI inputs on your TV or tried a different HDMI cable? Have you tried it from an STB instead of the DVR?  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Yes outanindallas, I have tried different HDMI cables as well as different HDMI connections on the TV.

I have a VIP2250 DVR box that sits by my router and receives the TV feed directly. The other 2 rooms have the wireless ISB7005 boxes. The SlingBox requires a cable connection to the router so I'm tied to the VIP2250 DVR box. I believe SlingBox does have a wireless box that I could buy so I wouldn't need the direct router connection but who knows if that would work with the ISB7005 box.

I'm looking at the 1x2 component splitter idea. I have my eyes on the $90 piece of equipment. I'm also waiting to see if any other ideas pop up here.

http://www.vpi.us/vsplt-hdtv.html

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your replies and help. I was ready to buy a 1x2 component splitter but got the SlingBox Pro to work with Uverse and the VIP2250 box and 3801 gateway.

I'm not exactly sure what did the fix but at least I know that ATT and/or the VIP2250 are not running HDCP. I did replace the HMDI cable with the one that ATT brought out originally. I was using another cable that I had avaialble and didn't want to open the new one from ATT. I also changed the connection on the TV to HDMI 3. 

Whatever, it's working now and I'm happy. Thanks again aviewer and oufanindallas for your input and encouragement to not give up! 🙂

Chris

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi aviewer,

I'm new on the forum and just start with Uverse two weeks ago.I'm trying to setup my old SlingBox Pro with the wireless ISB7005 cable box. When  I run the setup, the Slingbox Application don't see the slingbox. I'm stuck in the very first step of the set up.

Thank You in advance.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Sith - You are talking about an app for a portable device to access the sling box. I think there are a couple of steps before that.

You must be able to find the slingbox on the web, Connect it to a u-verse network jack & do whatever steps that makes it accessible from other web connected devices. The app would then be one of those devices.

Of course the slingbox is connected to the STB to receive the signal & the IR blaster is set up to control the STB.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Sith 

How are you connecting your Slingbox to your network?  You're not trying to run it off the back of the STB are you?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Yes,

I'm run it off the back of the STB. The guy who did the Uverse installation told me the use of that port was if I need to connect a DVD to the network. I'm assuming the port it's going to supply Internet to the slingbox. Planning to leave that box dedicate with the slingbox.

Thank You.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.