For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
blazerdogs's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 9:50 PM

Closed

Proper Connection of DVR to DVD-recorder and TV for recording

I will be getting a new DVR b/c of pixelation issues so I am trying to save some of my shows.

I have the DVD-rec connected by red/white/yellow av to Uverse DVR and HDMI to tv

I get audio from dvr to dvd-rec but no video.

What am I doing wrong?  HELP PLEASE!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

RCSMG wrote: 03-16-2008 07:56:15 PM

If you are using the hdmi output on the dvr it will deactivate the component, composite, and svhs outputs on the dvr.  If you want to use the dvd recorder then either connect the rca outputs into the rca inputs on the dvd recorder, and you can connect the svhs, or the component out to the video input on your television.  Or you can reverse it and run the rca outs into the rca ins on the tv.  Another way you can do it is run the rca outs to the rca ins on the dvd recorder and then run the rca outs of the dvd recorder into inputs 1 or 2 to the tv.  Of course then you might have to have the dvd recorder on in order to see the video from the dvr.  You have several choices to chose from.
THIS worked for me...The HDMI was overriding.  Thanks.

Mentor

• 

97 Messages

14 years ago

If you switched the video cable with an audio cable, one of the audio channels will still work so you'll hear audio. Check.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

nope, red white yellow in proper places

still getting audio, no video  😞

Mentor

• 

97 Messages

14 years ago

Maybe recorder is set for video input from component or DVI, but sound through the red/white RCAs. This would be in the recorder's setup.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

14 years ago

All outputs are all active at the same time, this was fixed in a firmware update almost 2 years ago.

Any problems you have with a DVD recorder are from Macrovision copy protection on the analog outputs (composite and S-Video).  By the way, the correct term for the 4-pin black round connector is "S-Video".  "S-VHS" is a type of videotape recording system.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

My problem is a little different.   I used RCA from DVR out to DVD in, then HDMI out to TV.   I can view the TV as well via this connection, but the probem is with this connection, when I hit MENU on the uverse remote, RECORDINGS are not an option.  Without the DVD connected, meaning DVR to TV via HDMI (normal connection w/o the DVD recorder), the MENU button will give RECORDINGS as on option. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Copyright protection does strange things, especially with HDMI. I think you win top prize. Three things for you to try.

Instead of the recordings button enter 9999. If you get the DVR screen press OK.

You could try one of these splitters to see if it hides the HDMI. - http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307119901&sr=8-4

Connect DVD to TV with any other interface available. The connecttion DVR to DVD kills HD. So, it does not need to be HDMI, unless you do not have any other input avail on the TV.

Do you have any HDMI features, such as ARC or CEC on the TV? Make sure they are turned off.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

hey my community just switched from comcast where i had there legacy box to use with my dvd recorder using the red white and yellow cables now we have blue stream fiber and their dvr only has hdmi i need help so i can use my dvd recorder to record to disc

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

2 years ago

Thread created 11 years ago.  Please start a new thread in the correct forum.

Closed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.