Posted Jun 18, 2013
No Signal on TV

Last week we turned the TV as normal and got a No Signal message. I checked the box and everything looked fine (correct input, lights on, no loose connections, etc.). I had to unplug the HDMI cable or switch inputs back and forth in order to get a signal. In the past few days I've switched HDMI cables, switched to a another input and reset the box. Nothing has worked. I don't have this problem with the DVD player or game system (both are connected with HDMI). The only thing I noticed that's odd is when the box is off the HDMI light is not on. It is on the box in the back. Also, the screen which says "press ok to watch" is different. Is it possible the box updated and that's causing a problem? I don't know what else to do at this point and I'm tired of calling AT&T about issues. This is the third box we've had in less than a year.

Sorry for the long post!

No Signal on TV

18 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2013
(0)

So I contacted AT&T and their solution was to send me a new box.  The 1225 box arrived today and the problem is gone. However they said they were going to send me the same receiver and this one is older, larger, and smaller capacity.  I'm about to get mad at them.

Re: No Signal on TV

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2013
(0)

ssmith124 wrote:

Last week we turned the TV as normal and got a No Signal message. I checked the box and everything looked fine (correct input, lights on, no loose connections, etc.). I had to unplug the HDMI cable or switch inputs back and forth in order to get a signal. In the past few days I've switched HDMI cables, switched to a another input and reset the box. Nothing has worked. I don't have this problem with the DVD player or game system (both are connected with HDMI). The only thing I noticed that's odd is when the box is off the HDMI light is not on. It is on the box in the back. Also, the screen which says "press ok to watch" is different. Is it possible the box updated and that's causing a problem? I don't know what else to do at this point and I'm tired of calling AT&T about issues. This is the third box we've had in less than a year.

Sorry for the long post!

The blue lite used to go on/off w/HDMI use, but an update about something else turned on the blue lite all the time.  Might try this, turn on the TV first by pushing the TV button on the ATT remote, then Power.  Let the TV start sending the HDMI signals first.

Now you might be causing the problem by not being on Uverse input when you shut everything down, maybe on game or DVD inputs.  This causes the Uverse DVR/STB to freak out as it didn't get the 'see you later' signal from the TV and does not know what to do.   Then you get the results you probably have been having.

You did get the download that changed the TV2 client here: menu>options>system options>system info

New one is 2.2.28163.20. and UI is 5.5.5-nt :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 19, 2013
(0)
ssmith124, jamesacomb, As mibrnsurg suggests, you can try turning on the TV first by pressing the TV button - power- att - OK.

If this is a solution, you can make it permanent by programming - att/ok-977-tv-att-enter.

If HDMI will not work for you switch to component cables. Then you can keep the DVR you want & return the one you do not want.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 19, 2013
(0)

Technician was out today.  We solved the problem by switching from a 12' HDMI cable to a 6' HDMI cable.  Weird!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2013
(0)

jamesacomb - Perhaps a new 12' cable would have solved the problem. Perhaps the old cable was kinked at some point & had a bad point in the wiring. Glad to hear it is solved.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2013
(0)

We tried 3 different 12' cables.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2013
(0)
jamesacomb- Now you tell me. LOL

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2013
(0)

jamesacomb wrote:

We tried 3 different 12' cables.  

I have a 12' cat5e patch cable and it works flawlessly to my Panasonic plasma. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 22, 2013
(0)

You didn't mention what TV you have, but I had a similar intermittent problem with a Sony HDTV.  With the STB connected via HDMI, I would sometimes get a no signal on the TV when turned on via the U-verse remote.  Turning the TV off and on with the Sony remote would sometimes fix it, but it might take three or four times.  Different HDMI cables made no difference.  I finally tried connecting the TV via component AV cable and the problem was solved.  I still don't know what caused it, but it works fine with component cable.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 22, 2013
(0)

FormerWillyb wrote:

You didn't mention what TV you have, but I had a similar intermittent problem with a Sony HDTV.  With the STB connected via HDMI, I would sometimes get a no signal on the TV when turned on via the U-verse remote.  Turning the TV off and on with the Sony remote would sometimes fix it, but it might take three or four times.  Different HDMI cables made no difference.  I finally tried connecting the TV via component AV cable and the problem was solved.  I still don't know what caused it, but it works fine with component cable.

Sometimes if/when there are more than 1 HDMI inputs you have to try them all, as another user had to use the 4th of 4 to get his Uverse working on HDMI. 

It works on component as it's dumb, no signals going back to the DVR/STB like HDMI (constantly signaling, security and content).   Personally I like HDMI better due to slightly better PQ (component has a slightly softer look) and the digital sound, better and louder than component's analog audio. :smileywink:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013
(0)

I just experienced the same problem on my plasma tv. It worked fine for a year and 1/2 then no picture from uverse box on the HDMI. The DVD played through same HDMI.  Same box played fine on other tvs in house. AT&T guy was just here tried two different new boxes and could not get it to work and ended up leaving it on component.  When I re power box when going into HDMI I get the three dots for 30 secs, a message flashes saying your connected then a blue screen for 20 seconds then black. Changed cables, long and short; no difference. any ideas since AT&T has none!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013
(0)
SteelMarine - You can try changing the order of powering.

The default is STB - TV. It is the same for on & off.

The remote code to change it is 977 - Press att/ok together - 977 - TV - att - enter. This will cause the TV to come on first & turn off first.

If you do the same programming , but leave out TV -att - the power button will only send the mode selected. In this mode you can try TV on first & off last & you can add delay between TV & att.

Good luck.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2013
(0)

I tried everything on my Sony Bravia as well. The tech that installed my U-verse said that just happens on some brands and I should try component. Also unwilling to sacrifice quality, I switched from HDMI port 1 to HDMI port 4 and viola! So far so good...thanks mibrnsurg!!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 11, 2013
(0)

Thanks for posting your successful outcome, this will be important for other subs with the same issue.  Would you mark your post as "solved"?  If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns feel free to come here and post them.  There are plenty of people here who are ready, willing,and able to offer help in the form of information, suggestions, and resources.  Enjoy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 9, 2014
(0)

I too tried all the suggestions and still got the no signal - UGH....Finally I changed to HDMI 4 and that seems to have worked, so far so good!

No Signal on TV

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 13, 2014
(0)

:smileysad:Well, I spoke too soon, back to No Signal. Something must have changed with ATT Uverse, as it has been fine for years. Any new options let me know.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2014
(0)

SOLUTION (for me, anyway). Hope this works for you.

I've had this randomly happen to me, too, and it just happened again. I was trying to lower the volume just now, and suddenly I got "no signal". There's no button anywhere near the volume control that should have done anything like this, so I was stumped for a while.

So, for the heck of it, I found the manual controls on the TV (the buttons on the side of the telvision in my case), and adjusted the channels. This did it! Whatever I pressed in trying to lower the volume maybe accidentally changed the channel on the TV to something other than "3", and that somehow changed the Input from Cable to "no signal". If you haven't already done this, give that a try. I hope this helps!

Rob

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2014
(0)

My no signal problem was fixed with a new STB which they were able to confirm from their end it also had other issues but it was the original box I had since install.