NateGrey626's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 3:41 AM

New To UVerse - Questions/Pixelation Problems

Hello, hope someone can provide me with more information.

Recently switched to AT&T UVerse after having Comcast for 8 years.

I am a big sports fan and have found the basketball and football games to be heavily pixelated especially for wide shots where the faces can not even be made out. I have downloaded the Real Time UVerse application to check if anything stood out and was wondering if someone wiser could take a look and see if there is anything that stands out, if I should have a tech come out to take a look, or if this is something to expect. I have a 100in 1080 projection screen so the pixelation is highly distracting. Comcast rarely had pixelation, and definitely not at this level, I have to believe that the picture can be better than what I currently get. As I understand I am pretty close to the VRAD so maybe noise is a problem?

Posted below are screen shots.

Edit: Wanted to add I did schedule to have a tech come out and was told they would arrive from 12-4 Saturday. Waited the entire day, no one showed up, received a call at 6 as I was leaving for dinner that the tech was running late and would be there in a half hour. Had to cancel the appointment, this is my second resort at some more information. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

I would switch the 1216 to the office & bring that one to where the 1216 is now as the first try.

If all the connections are tight, that may be enough to do the job.

The wireless should not be affecting it, but anything is possible. With the whole house DVR, the coax HPNA network is possibly overloaded. More TV usage at night may impact it.
If that first swap does not work then you would have to troubleshoot by elimination & isolation as you list in your steps.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

13 years ago

I'm certainly no expert.  But, WOW, there are a lot of us who would love to have stats that good.  Because of this it is my guess that the problem is occurring between your DVR/STB and your RG (residential gateway).  Perhaps a loose connection or bad crimp, etc.  It's possible that there is a problem with the DVR also.  Either way  I would definitely get a tech out to your home.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with your line.

To verify you are receiving an error-free stream at your U-Verse box, you can use the Stream Analyzer that is built into U-Verse Realtime.  This requires a specific network hookup.  Please review pages 21-23 of the ReadMe file that accompanies U-Verse Realtime (Start Menu -> Programs -> U-Verse Realtime -> ReadMe) for diagrams of the required hookup.

If the stream analyzer reveals that you don't have any problems, then what you are seeing are compression artifacts, and nothing can be done about it.  On a 100" screen, the quality degradation will be very apparent.

If the stream analyzer reveals problems, then you may have issues on the coax network.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you very much for the reply. The Stream Analyzer functions looks to be what I was thinking of/looking for.

I will check later and report my results.

I did have one other question, the ethernet line coming out of the STB boxes, is that a 10/100 Mbps capable line? Not gigabit? I did refer to the documentation, but wanted to make sure, I do have a PS3 that could utilize that line.

Has anyone had good results using it in this way (Streaming/Multiplayer COD etc... )?

Thanks

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, the Ethernet cable is 10/100, and yes, you can use a switch there so that multiple devices can be plugged into the network, including the PS3.

When this type of hookup is used, some devices are bothered by the multicast traffic that the U-Verse boxes use, others are not.  Your PS3 will probably be OK.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Checked the line to the box, looks like everything is ok.

Might be the compression artifacts like suggested, thanks for the replies

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I had same problem - turned out the Uverse router was plugged into a socket that was not grounded (we live in a 100+ year old house and this is not uncommon in older homes.

But - I still get 'shadows' on fast moving scenes such as football.  I did some research - turns out the Uverse Motorola boxes only transmit at 60 GHZ, for fast action viewing you need at least 120.

Does anyone know when Uverse will be upgrading to 120 Ghz???

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@uverseuser10050 wrote:

But - I still get 'shadows' on fast moving scenes such as football.  I did some research - turns out the Uverse Motorola boxes only transmit at 60 GHZ, for fast action viewing you need at least 120.

Does anyone know when Uverse will be upgrading to 120 Ghz???

1. The frequencies you're speaking of are Hertz (Hz), not Gigahertz (GHz).

2. ALL broadcast or provider-transmitted TV content in the USA has a 60 Hz field rate maximum.  Period, end of story.  There is no such thing as "120 Hz" content.

3. The frequency that is marketed on modern TVs is a screen refresh rate and/or motion interpolation rate.  It's original intent was to make motion smoother for film-based content, which has a 24 Hz frame rate.  Motion interpolation was never intended to further smooth content that already has a 60 Hz field rate.

4. The human eye loses any sense of motion judder at frequencies beyond 55-60 Hz.  The human eye loses any sense of field flicker at frequencies beyond 72 Hz.  Any motion interpolation at any higher frequency than this is a complete waste of time and effort, because no human can perceive it.

5. The "shadows" you are talking about on fast moving scenes are compression artifacts caused by the aggressive H.264 video compression used by AT&T.  It has nothing to do with the screen refresh rate, motion interpolation rate, or content temporal resolution.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I'm a guest in my elderly parent's house. They have 6 TVs on att U-verse. 5 are working fine. The main one in the family room is horribly pixellated and skippy. Makes watching bowl games almost impossible. It can miss entire plays at times. I don't think realtime will give me data on one particular set or box. They've had a tech out several times and that didn't do it. Its a reasonably new Sony HD TV. Problem has to be in the specific box or the box->TV configuration. (although I don't know why a tech wouldn't deduce that too). Any suggestions on issues that would be specific to a single node?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Seems like they should have replaced the box (STB). Is it the DVR (bigger than the the others 1216 or 1225)?

Is it next to the RG (modem) connected cat5?

If so, it must be the box.

If it is connected coax - could be a bad connection between box & splitter. You could swap connections on the splitter with another.
You could swap the box to another location.

The coax needs to be in good shape, no barrel connection splices & compression ends on the cable.

Can you connect RG- STB cat5 even temporarily to rule out a coax problem?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.