gbelous's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, October 11th, 2013 1:30 AM

My DVR keeps rebooting, need help

I have been with att uverse for a few months now. Power went out 4 days ago and since then our bedroom wireless dvr has been constantly rebooting. Lights randomly flash, it cycles thru and sometimes I even get to see 15 seconds of tv before it says no signal and starts over again. Att support didn't find any problem so they sent another receiver and the second i get it connected to the network it starts rebooting too. A second call to customer support results in them wanting to send a technician so before they do I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any tips or advice before I get charged $99 for them to come out and tell me its something my fault.

There has been no issue at all with our living room tv and dvr or internet and wireless access. I have rebooted the modem and wap and even plugged the dvr into another outlet. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Mountain1225,

I apologize for the inconveniences you are also having with your wireless receiver. One thing you may also want to try to do is rebooting the U-verse router and all your receivers by just unplugging the power from them, waiting a few seconds, and then plugging it back.

Also, the information that gbelous provided is very helpful. If you notice that it works a lot better after removing the main DVR, that could be the issue.

If so, let us know by  clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you, and we would be glad to help in replacing your DVR.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I had the same issue (wireless receiver reboots after showing approx. 25 secs of TV and continuously repeats the cycle). However, after reading the postings here, I unplugged the power supply of all the AT&T devices (wireless receiver, access point, gateway, and #2 wired receivers for about a minute). I reconnected/ restarted the gateway first and then the access point, then the wireless receiver. Whola!!! it is now normally working. Then reconnected/ restarted the #2 wired receivers. Every device is now functioning properly. Hope this will be helpful.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I started having the same rebooting problems with my ISB7005 last night. My main set top unit with built-in DVR was working fine (was able to record, play back, etc), so for my situation I couldn't help to think it was related to the Wireless Access Point (WAP) and wireless set top box (ISB7005) connection.

Attempt #1. Turned off / unplugged the Residential Gateway (RG), WAP, and ISB7500 and started each one up one by one (in that order), but the problem still occurred.  

Attempt #2.  Then I unplugged both the WAP and ISB7500, and then turned on the ISB7005 (with WAP still unplugged).  Doing so then made the ISB7005 display the prompts on the TV to try to pair the ISB7005 with the WAP.  I then plugged in the WAP and followed the prompts from the TV.  Still had the rebooting occurred.

Attempt #3.  I then started the same steps from "Attempt #2, but after plugging in the WAP, I then used the tip of a pen to push the RESET button on the back of the WAP (not the RG) for about 15-30 seconds until the one of the indicators on the WAP turned red (can't remember which one).  After both indicators on the front of the WAP went back to green, then I followed the prompts on the TV to pair the ISB7005 to the WAP.  SUCCESS!

If you're not familiar with the device names, please see the hyperlink below: http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/TV_Wireless_Receiver_Self_Installation_Guide_ATT110900769.pdf

The instructions from the link doesn't mention about resetting / returning the WAP back to factory setting by pushing the red button, but that's what I did in trying to pair the devices together again.  

To make a long story short, from either rebooting the isb7005 too many times or from moving the ISB7005 around, etc, I think there was a pairing problem between devices that needed me to reset the WAP back to factory settings, to do a clean "re"-pairing.  For those not familiar, "pairing" means to establish data link between devices (like pairing your bluetooth headset to your cell phone).

Now, my original setup had a netgear switch connected between the RG and the WAP (to allow for better placement within the house).  To troubleshoot, I connected the WAP directly to the RG, where I was successful in the steps stated above.  When moving the WAP back to its proper location, I went ahead and unplugged and replugged the netgear switch before connecting the WAP.  I don't believe the switch had anything to do the problem (but I did it anyway).  So in the event your setup included a switch, you may want to try unplugging and replugging the switch as part of your troublshooting.

Hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I had to take back my successful outcome. Several minutes after, one of the wired receiver and the wireless receiver started and continued the rebooting cycle after approx. 20 seconds of connected/ normal status. After reviewing again the threads above, I unplugged the power supply for the wired receiver that was not rebooting (I'm assuming it is the receiver with the DVR), the rebooting issue for the two other receivers stopped. When I reconnected the power supply for the receiver with DVR, the rebooting issue for the two other receivers started again --- same as gbelous.

I got a technician scheduled today, but, the technician never showed up. The only call that I received about it is 30 mins before the last hour of the supposed arrival time (830 PM), somebody from AT&T called and asked me if I wanted to wait for the technician beyond the arrival time or reschedule. I chose to wait but no technical support. I'm hoping somebody from AT&T can prioritize my 'new' service request - ASAP.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi searcher75,

I apologize for all the inconveniences. I will be glad to look into your account and ensure someone goes out there. I will have our team send you a private message to get your contact information, so be on the lookout for one.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I began having this exact issue today.  I unplugged my DVR and both wireless receivers work correctly.  How do I get my DVR replaced?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

My dvr keeps rebooting as well. I believe it's a VIP2250. We had a short power outage. Internet and wifi work great - just can't access my dvr. TV plays for about 15 seconds before it reboots. Can anyone help? We've rebooted everything, but no luck.  Smiley Sad

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Correct - no wireless receiver. I'll try that first option (disaster recovery) when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I'm now having this issue as well. Wireless receiver keeps rebooting. Unplugged the power on the DVR upstairs that is wired to the gateway, and the wireless receiver hasn't rebooted yet. 

The wired DVR does have full functionality itself. Very annoying.  Not sure what the best thing to do is...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I was having the same problem with my isb7005: it would play for 10 - 15 seconds then reboot. I tried to reboot the WAP and the receiver and it didn't help. I chatted with a representative and they sent me a new receiver (no WAP). Same cycling happened. Chatted again and they sent me a new WAP. Set it up and the same thing happened (on, reboot, on reboot, etc.)

But I found a kind of weird way around it: if I was recording on my wired DVR the wireless receiver would stay on and not cycle. I have no idea why that worked, but it did. Well, that stopped working yesterday after I had moved the receiver to another TV. Now it won't even get to the 10 seconds of tv time; it shows the three dots, all three lights on the front of the box light up (the signal strength bar shows three bars in orange. This hadn't happened previously) and the screen goes back to the 'no signal' display. If i let it go, it just repeats this process.

I've tried everything in this thread: rebooting everything. Rebooting without the wired receiver plugged in. Rebooting while pushing the 'reset' button on the WAP. So I have no idea what to do. Any other ideas outside of a tech visit? This is getting pretty frustrating. AND to make it worse the wireless receiver is for my 'big' TV. And it stopped working the day before the Super Bowl? Awesome.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.