Posted Oct 10, 2013
6:30:47 PM
View profile
My DVR keeps rebooting, need help
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Aug 27, 2014 at 11:45:33 AM

I have been with att uverse for a few months now. Power went out 4 days ago and since then our bedroom wireless dvr has been constantly rebooting. Lights randomly flash, it cycles thru and sometimes I even get to see 15 seconds of tv before it says no signal and starts over again. Att support didn't find any problem so they sent another receiver and the second i get it connected to the network it starts rebooting too. A second call to customer support results in them wanting to send a technician so before they do I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any tips or advice before I get charged $99 for them to come out and tell me its something my fault.

There has been no issue at all with our living room tv and dvr or internet and wireless access. I have rebooted the modem and wap and even plugged the dvr into another outlet. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 27, 2014 11:12:18 AM
(1)
Community Support
Edited by ATTU-verseCare on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:40:50 PM

­

HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT YOUR DVR

In this example, we will show you how to properly check connections and troubleshoot a VIP 2250 Model DVR connected to either a High Definition Television (HDTV) or a Standard Definition Television (SDTV). NOTE: If you have a different model DVR you can still follow along.The instructions to connect any U-verse DVR model will remain the same.

Video Connections

Alternative 1 of 3 | How To Check Your DVR & HDTV Are Connected Correctly Using An HDMI Cable

1of3.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure all Audio/Video cables are fully inserted into both DVR and HDTV ports.

Alternative 2 of 3 | How To Check Your DVR & HDTV Are Connected Correctly Using A Component Cable + Audio

2of3.png

Alternative 3 of 3 | How To Check Your DVR & SDTV Connections Using A Composite (Audio/Video) Cable

3of3.png

Signal Connections | How To Check Signal Connections To Your DVR

• If your DVR is connected to the network using a Coaxial connection you will have a cable with a threaded metal fitting at the end that screws to the back of the DVR. Make sure there is no damage to the connection at the wall and at the DVR. Tighten both ends and inspect for any loose fit between the metal fitting and the cable. If defective cable or connections are noticed please contact the ATTU-verseCare team to schedule an appointment with a technician to resolve.
  • If your DVR is connected to the network using an Ethernet connection you will have a Cat-5 cable with RJ-45 ends which typically look like a phone cable with wider ends. Make sure the cable is not damaged or crimped and inspect the connector ends for damage as well. Insert the connector in the Ethernet input until you hear a clicking sound letting you know the connection locked. If the Ethernet cable is damaged it is recommend to purchase a replacement cable. These can be obtained from your nearest electronics store or at att.com/equipment
  • Although a WAP or Wireless Access Point does not provide the signal to the DVR, it provides the signal to other TV receivers on your network which access your DVR. Make sure the Ethernet connection is not damaged and fully inserted into the Ethernet input on both the WAP and the gateway. It is recommended to replace the Ethernet cable before proceeding with the replacement of any equipment. For best performance, locate the WAP in an open space and away from obstructions or high power equipment.

Power Connections | How To Check Your Power Source Connections

• If you use a power strip or surge protector and experience interruptions with your DVR it is recommended to use an alternate power source such as exchanging the power strip, surge protector or plug the power cable directly to the wall outlet.

• Check the power connection input on the back of the DVR to ensure it is fully inserted.

• Check the power cable and power input on the DVR for any damage.

HOW TO POWER CYCLE YOUR DVR:

• Unplug the power cord from the power outlet and plug it back in after 10 seconds. NOTE: Make sure the power cable is plugged firmly into the connection behind the DVR and the outlet.

HOW TO PERFORM A DISASTER RECOVERY:

If power cycling is unsuccessful use the steps below to perform a Disaster Recovery. WARNING!: Disaster Recovery steps will cause your DVR to lose all pre-existing data such as:

• Recordings
  • Parental control settings 
  • Aspect ratio settings

DVRwithArrows.png

to perform Disaster Recovery: 

• Using the above image as guidance, hold down the Down arrow key + OK key + Power key outlined in red at the same time to power down the DVR.
  • Continue pressing these keys until a gear appears on the screen and release the Down + OK keys.
  • If the gear on the TV screen appears, wait until completion.
  • If the gear on the TV screen does not appear, repeat the disaster recovery process.
  • If the previous steps have been exhausted and the TV receiver continues to malfunction please send a private message with your account number and contact details to ATTU-verseCare for further assistance. If you are not a member of the U-verse community forums, we welcome you to register and reach out to us.
If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, we recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

My DVR keeps rebooting, need help

[ Edited ]
60 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(60)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 8:34:11 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:36:35 PM

Sorry to hear of your unusual issue.
Which RG do you currently have ? ( 3890, 3801, inid with i38hg or 589?
Please note there is only one DVR, the wireless set top box is just a receiver.

This started after power outage, 
Your issue sounds like a problem with the power supply (PS), or power at that receptacle,
The wireless use a smaller power supply than a hardwired box.
When you received the new wireless box, did you also replace the power supply?
Have you tried the wireless box connected to TV with DVR, be sure to use wireless PS not DVR PS.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: My isb7005 dvr keeps rebooting, need help

[ Edited ]
2 of 61 (24,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 5:06:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

What's an RG? I'm not home right now so I don't know what number it is. Sorry, yea the reciever isn't working, not the DVR (thank god).

I did replace the power cord that has that little box and even plugged it into a different outlet. I didn't put it on another tv though. 

3 of 61 (23,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 6:05:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
Could there be an issue with the access point or modem...whichever the wireless receiver connects to to get it's signal? Or does it only talk to the main DVR in the other room?

4 of 61 (23,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:33:36 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi gbelous,

I apologize for the issues you are having. RG stands for Residential Gateway or U-verse modem/router. But there is definitely a possibility that the wireless access point is having issues. When you notice the box reboot, does the power light go out also? If so, then it may not be an issue with the Wireless Access Point. Let us know how it goes, and if you need the wireless access point replaced, I would be more than glad to help with that.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

5 of 61 (23,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:38:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by gbelous on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:39:37 AM

Thanks, I am on the "chat" now to schedule a technician to come out and handle it. I tried calling 3 times and each time while I was on hold it hung up on me after 7 minutes. I am not home at the moment so I am not sure what the lights are doing. I believe the power light just constantly blinks randomly as it cycles through. If the box is plugged in there is no way to turn it off, it just keeps going and going until it is unplugged.

[ Edited ]
6 of 61 (23,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:46:08 AM
(0)
Community Support

That is definitely a unique situation. I am so sorry for all of this and the issues even trying to get it fixed. If you are still running into any issues getting a technician, feel free to reach out to me and I will gladly get you setup.

Just send me a message by clicking here

Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

7 of 61 (23,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:51:21 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by gbelous on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:51:59 AM

Thanks. I just pray that the technician can figure it out. Hopefully not costing me $99 in the process. I am on my third remote and second reciever in 3 months. Not very promising consindering I have used TIVO and Comcast the past 10 years and never once had any issue with any hardware.

(sorry, just venting, have had a very rough day)

[ Edited ]
8 of 61 (23,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:55:40 AM
(0)
Community Support

Definitely understandable, and I hope your day gets a lot better with the weekend coming up. If you do run into any further issues, any with any questionable charges, feel free to reach out, and I will be sure to direct it to the right people.

-David T

9 of 61 (23,923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:57:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. I always appreciate the forum's help, so definitely not knocking that. I will update here when/if we figure out the problem just in case anyone else ever experiences it.

Have a great day/weekend!

10 of 61 (23,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 5:08:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
The tech was here for about 3 hours Saturday and after trying many things...2 more receivers both wired and wireless, replacing the wap, calling a few people and finally someone suggested it was the dvr causing the receiver to reboot. Sure enough that was the problem. If the dvr was unplugged, the receiver would work fine. As soon as it was plugged back in the receiver would start rebooting. Solution is to replace the dvr but we have soooo many shows saved we have to watch them before we can do that. But at least we know the solution.

11 of 61 (23,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 8:11:34 AM
(0)
Community Support

Thank you for keeping us posted! It is sad that it was the DVR, but it's always a huge relief when you know what is causing your problems. Whenever you need the DVR replaced, just reach out to me, and I would be glad to get that done for you.

-David T

12 of 61 (23,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 1:20:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

My wireless box started doing this same thing this morning.  Will boot all of the way up, play tv for a few seconds, and then power itself off, and start rebooting..........

13 of 61 (23,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 2:56:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Sounds familiar. All it does when plugged in is keep rebooting over and over? Try unplugging the main dvr and see if the receiver stays on or not. If it stays on then my guess is the dvr is bad. I just finished installing the replacement dvr and so far *knock on wood* the bedroom receiver hasn't rebooted. No one at att knows why or how or ever heard of this but have them send a new dvr.

14 of 61 (23,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 3:21:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

iamthesimple1 wrote:

My wireless box started doing this same thing this morning.  Will boot all of the way up, play tv for a few seconds, and then power itself off, and start rebooting..........

Try plugging it directly into the power outlet, not on a power strip or UPC, this has sometimes helped.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 61 (23,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 4:12:43 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi iamthesimple1,

Just wanted to check in with you to see if the information that gbelous or mibrnsurg helped with your intermittent TV picture. If you tried what gbelous suggested, and it is working fine without the DVR, we may need to replace it. If so, let me know and I will be glad to take care of that for you.

-David T

16 of 61 (23,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 7:10:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same exact issue... anything I can do myself? As long as the main DVR is unplugged, my wireless receiver works fine... I've had to have several units replaced over the past few months. Do I have to wait for a tech to come out and replace it again? And risk the $99 charge...

17 of 61 (23,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 5:34:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Cmon_U_verse - Is the DVR connected to the RG cat5? If not can you do it?

When the DVR is not connected the STB works in a stand alone mode. When the DVR is connected the whole house DVR & trick play kick in. In this mode the DVR, RG and STB must all work to together. This background activity is most susceptible to defects in wiring & electronics.

Make sure all COAX connections are tight & the WAP is well positioned. Try whole house reboot - Pull power on all U-verse components. Replug RG. Wait for all green. Replug DVR. Wait for viewing. Replug addl STBs/WAPs.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 61 (23,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 12:02:15 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Cmon_U_verse,

Hopefully, the information that aviewer provided you got everything working the way it should be. If not, you may have the same issue as gbelous. If so, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. I would be glad to assist with this and make sure it gets handled appropriately.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

-David T

19 of 61 (23,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2013 7:06:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm having the same problem. Just had a new wireless receiver sent then read this post. Do I need a new main box? I unplugged that box and now have tv on the wireless.

20 of 61 (23,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 5:08:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

I would definitely make sure you rule everything else out that it could be, before requesting a new dvr. I think the way the tech finally determined it was the main dvr was that he had both units plugged in so the reciever was rebooting, then he unplugged the power on the main dvr and that made the other one stop cycling thru. He waited a few minutes to be sure then plugged the main back in, then shortly after the receiver started skipping, pausing and finally began rebooting again.

Anyone I had talked to when calling techincal support never heard of this issue. Perhaps it's just too new of a box and hasn't been field tested properly.

21 of 61 (23,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 10:09:32 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Mountain1225,

I apologize for the inconveniences you are also having with your wireless receiver. One thing you may also want to try to do is rebooting the U-verse router and all your receivers by just unplugging the power from them, waiting a few seconds, and then plugging it back.

Also, the information that gbelous provided is very helpful. If you notice that it works a lot better after removing the main DVR, that could be the issue.

If so, let us know by  clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you, and we would be glad to help in replacing your DVR.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

-David T

22 of 61 (23,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 8:50:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had the same issue (wireless receiver reboots after showing approx. 25 secs of TV and continuously repeats the cycle). However, after reading the postings here, I unplugged the power supply of all the AT&T devices (wireless receiver, access point, gateway, and #2 wired receivers for about a minute). I reconnected/ restarted the gateway first and then the access point, then the wireless receiver. Whola!!! it is now normally working. Then reconnected/ restarted the #2 wired receivers. Every device is now functioning properly. Hope this will be helpful.

23 of 61 (22,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 1:01:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

I started having the same rebooting problems with my ISB7005 last night. My main set top unit with built-in DVR was working fine (was able to record, play back, etc), so for my situation I couldn't help to think it was related to the Wireless Access Point (WAP) and wireless set top box (ISB7005) connection.

Attempt #1. Turned off / unplugged the Residential Gateway (RG), WAP, and ISB7500 and started each one up one by one (in that order), but the problem still occurred.  

Attempt #2.  Then I unplugged both the WAP and ISB7500, and then turned on the ISB7005 (with WAP still unplugged).  Doing so then made the ISB7005 display the prompts on the TV to try to pair the ISB7005 with the WAP.  I then plugged in the WAP and followed the prompts from the TV.  Still had the rebooting occurred.

Attempt #3.  I then started the same steps from "Attempt #2, but after plugging in the WAP, I then used the tip of a pen to push the RESET button on the back of the WAP (not the RG) for about 15-30 seconds until the one of the indicators on the WAP turned red (can't remember which one).  After both indicators on the front of the WAP went back to green, then I followed the prompts on the TV to pair the ISB7005 to the WAP.  SUCCESS!

If you're not familiar with the device names, please see the hyperlink below: http://www.att.com/support_media/images/pdf/uverse/TV_Wireless_Receiver_Self_Installation_Guide_ATT1...

The instructions from the link doesn't mention about resetting / returning the WAP back to factory setting by pushing the red button, but that's what I did in trying to pair the devices together again.  

To make a long story short, from either rebooting the isb7005 too many times or from moving the ISB7005 around, etc, I think there was a pairing problem between devices that needed me to reset the WAP back to factory settings, to do a clean "re"-pairing.  For those not familiar, "pairing" means to establish data link between devices (like pairing your bluetooth headset to your cell phone).

Now, my original setup had a netgear switch connected between the RG and the WAP (to allow for better placement within the house).  To troubleshoot, I connected the WAP directly to the RG, where I was successful in the steps stated above.  When moving the WAP back to its proper location, I went ahead and unplugged and replugged the netgear switch before connecting the WAP.  I don't believe the switch had anything to do the problem (but I did it anyway).  So in the event your setup included a switch, you may want to try unplugging and replugging the switch as part of your troublshooting.

Hope this helps.

24 of 61 (22,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 11:35:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had to take back my successful outcome. Several minutes after, one of the wired receiver and the wireless receiver started and continued the rebooting cycle after approx. 20 seconds of connected/ normal status. After reviewing again the threads above, I unplugged the power supply for the wired receiver that was not rebooting (I'm assuming it is the receiver with the DVR), the rebooting issue for the two other receivers stopped. When I reconnected the power supply for the receiver with DVR, the rebooting issue for the two other receivers started again --- same as gbelous.

I got a technician scheduled today, but, the technician never showed up. The only call that I received about it is 30 mins before the last hour of the supposed arrival time (830 PM), somebody from AT&T called and asked me if I wanted to wait for the technician beyond the arrival time or reschedule. I chose to wait but no technical support. I'm hoping somebody from AT&T can prioritize my 'new' service request - ASAP.

25 of 61 (22,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 8:37:33 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi searcher75,

I apologize for all the inconveniences. I will be glad to look into your account and ensure someone goes out there. I will have our team send you a private message to get your contact information, so be on the lookout for one.

-David T

26 of 61 (22,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2014 5:05:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

I began having this exact issue today.  I unplugged my DVR and both wireless receivers work correctly.  How do I get my DVR replaced?

27 of 61 (20,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2014 9:33:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

My dvr keeps rebooting as well. I believe it's a VIP2250. We had a short power outage. Internet and wifi work great - just can't access my dvr. TV plays for about 15 seconds before it reboots. Can anyone help? We've rebooted everything, but no luck.  :smileysad:

28 of 61 (19,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 3:10:25 AM
(0)
Employee
No wireless receiver(s)?

Sounds as if corrupt program?
May try disaster recovery, unplug dvr, plug in, get three dots unplug...do this three times will get single gear allow time to do its thing.

If still issue then need to perform factory reset, will lose all recordings....
Factory reset for boxes...depress power, ok, down arrow 10~15 seconds, release power continue to hold ok, down till front panel lights flash three times..release buttons...single gear two gears, will auto reboot come back in 15 minutes see if can record, pause playback...NOTE on DVR this will reformat HD loss all recordings.

29 of 61 (19,422 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 6:45:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Correct - no wireless receiver. I'll try that first option (disaster recovery) when I get home tonight. Thanks!

30 of 61 (19,406 Views)