Posted Jun 1, 2011
9:15:38 AM
Last night's software update

Anyone know what it was for? All 3 of my receivers had to go through the process of downloading software update, installed, rebooting, etc. I can't see anything different. Anyone know what it's about?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jun 1, 2011 11:39:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

IAmTheJody wrote:

Anyone know what it was for? All 3 of my receivers had to go through the process of downloading software update, installed, rebooting, etc. I can't see anything different. Anyone know what it's about?

Read about Phase 3:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/Phase-3/td-p/2276349

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Last night's software update

31 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2011 10:33:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
You might want to see if Phase 3 has rolled out to your area. If so, you should be able to pause live TV fram any reciever.
-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Last night's software update

2 of 32 (4,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Jun 1, 2011 11:39:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

IAmTheJody wrote:

Read about Phase 3:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/Phase-3/td-p/2276349

3 of 32 (4,051 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2011 5:16:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks to you both. I rarely use that feature which is why I didn't notice the change but it's working so I guess that was it. Thanks again.

4 of 32 (4,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2011 3:00:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Enjoy.

5 of 32 (3,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2011 8:44:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

Phase 3 is to make everything respond slower and add features that will never be used (in my case).

I wish the time and development was used to FIX a poor UI - menu wrap, 1- button CC, go directly to channel in hide/add channels, ect.

6 of 32 (3,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2011 12:43:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The_Tango wrote:

Phase 3 is to make everything respond slower and add features that will never be used (in my case).

I wish the time and development was used to FIX a poor UI - menu wrap, 1- button CC, go directly to channel in hide/add channels, ect.

Unfortunately for you, most customers are excited about the Phase 3 Update and have been waiting patiently for it to arrive for some time.

7 of 32 (3,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 6:02:17 AM
(0)
Teacher
So what is everyone so excited about - I don't see any changes that are of use. Granted all I ever do is watch live/recorded TV. I am not being sarcastic - What does this give/do that is any different or better.

8 of 32 (3,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 10:03:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The_Tango wrote:
So what is everyone so excited about - I don't see any changes that are of use. Granted all I ever do is watch live/recorded TV. I am not being sarcastic - What does this give/do that is any different or better.

The biggest thing that most people are excited about is being able rew and ff live tv on the nondvr stbs.  It was announced years ago, and people got restless.  Many people left other service providers where they had multiple dvrs and Uverse only offers one per home.  So they were experiencing withdrawal from that ability on more than one television.  That is basically what the biggest deal is about phase 3.  It also offers lots of other features which have been posted about already. 

9 of 32 (3,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 11:33:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

So I just got the update as well (and haven't hard-reset) but when I fast forward on the DVR, the HDMI connection from the DVR loses sync with the TV...is this a known defect? Will a hard reset fix this? Pretty annoying which I'm hoping is fixed by a hard-reset...

10 of 32 (3,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 11:55:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That should resolve the issue but if it doesn't do the following.  While the tv and stb are turned on disconnect the hdmi cable from the stb and press and hold the power button until the lights flash.  After 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable.

11 of 32 (2,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 3:51:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by lax01 on Jun 11, 2011 at 4:17:54 PM

nope...didn't fix it....still losing HDMI sync during fast forward...any other ideas?

also loses HDMI HDCP sync when trying to rewind live tv...

[ Edited ]
12 of 32 (2,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 4:36:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

This is a long shot but have you tried a different hdmi cable?

13 of 32 (2,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2011 4:39:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Its obviously not the HDMI cable since it has been working perfectly (well relatively) since January until this software update...

Either way, I don't have another HDMI to test with...so unless the 3 foot HDMI cable mysteriously broke on the same night as the update, I'm going to assume its not the HDMI cable...

14 of 32 (2,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2011 6:10:47 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by flhthemi on Jun 12, 2011 at 6:17:28 AM

lax01 wrote:

Its obviously not the HDMI cable since it has been working perfectly (well relatively) since January until this software update...

Either way, I don't have another HDMI to test with...so unless the 3 foot HDMI cable mysteriously broke on the same night as the update, I'm going to assume its not the HDMI cable...

Wellll...I'm probably wrong but, could it be that the cable you have is not certified for the version of HDMI the STB is now using since it got updated maybe AT&T updated the HDMI and your old cable might not be up to date???

Take a peek here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

So I would be buying a new cable and making sure that it was 1.4 compliant. You don't need to spend 40+ bucks for a HDMI cable either. I don't care what anyone says, wire is wire, if the cable meets the specs a 15 dollar cable is as good as a 50 dollar cable. All my HDMI cables cam from Big Lots and I have no problems on either of the three STBs, laptops or PC's that are using them.

[ Edited ]
15 of 32 (2,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2011 5:18:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can try a new cable.  Also, you can try using a component cable (red, green, and blue) rca cables, along with a red and white audio cable.  You will still be able to view hd programming.

16 of 32 (2,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 13, 2011 4:32:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wonderful

Now I can pause live TV in the bedroom.

Thoughful upgrade.

17 of 32 (2,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 14, 2011 11:50:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having issues with no sound watching HD channels. When I called Uverse, the technician told me not to use the HDMI cable as their receivers didn't work well with them.

18 of 32 (2,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 15, 2011 11:45:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That csr was really wrong.  Many subs you hdmi cables with UV stbs with no problems.  It is possible you have a bad hdmi cable or there is an issue between the stb and your television.  There are other alternatives you can use other than hdmi cables, such as component cables (red, green, and blue rca cables).  Then you would also have to use the red and white rca cables for audio.

19 of 32 (2,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 16, 2011 12:15:14 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Mikro on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:17:17 AM

Fell A sleep watching tv woke up by the relay in the STB rebooting after update I missed the process but I got the updated tv receiver 2.0 now all 4 boxes now updated sneaky Uverse now I know why my mom was screaming her head off when it interrupted her playing Yahoo games

[ Edited ]
20 of 32 (2,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2011 10:58:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

The cable obviously isn't the issue and I'd REALLY rather not go component considering HDMI was working 100% fine before the Phase 3 release. Any other ideas to troubleshoot?

This is still occuring. I'm going to try resetting the gateway and the STB overnight...anyway to revert back to the previous firmware (which had zero issues? Doubt it)....

21 of 32 (2,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 21, 2011 4:28:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
My Panasonic has the ability to use HDMI for picture and analog (red/white RCA) for sound - look for HDMI audio/sound options in TV menu.

Did your u-verse audio option get changed to surround?

22 of 32 (2,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 21, 2011 8:19:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Audio was changed to Surround...don't think I've ever played with that option. Changed it to stereo and it works again.

Thank you so much!

23 of 32 (2,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 13, 2011 3:31:39 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Enduro on Jul 13, 2011 at 3:33:05 PM

Okay, so switching to stereo on the box that goes to my digital PDIF connection surround sound unit corrected the HDMI sync but I now have no surround sound.  Is this going to be corrected in a future update or am I missing something?  This is hardly a fix as-is.  

[ Edited ]
24 of 32 (2,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2011 8:58:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

After having U-verse installed two days ago and immediately noticing that non-DVR receivers (am I required to know what a 'stbs' is?) could not pause live TV I was appalled.  After that niight's software update with the announcement that non-DVR recievers could now pause live TV, I was even more appalled that the feature didn't work when a program was being recorded!  A non-DVR receiver TV viewer can't rely on being able to pause live TV if anyone is recording a program?!?  What good is a function that is unreliable?

25 of 32 (2,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2011 9:20:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mainframe wrote:

After having U-verse installed two days ago and immediately noticing that non-DVR receivers (am I required to know what a 'stbs' is?) could not pause live TV I was appalled.  After that niight's software update with the announcement that non-DVR recievers could now pause live TV, I was even more appalled that the feature didn't work when a program was being recorded!  A non-DVR receiver TV viewer can't rely on being able to pause live TV if anyone is recording a program?!?  What good is a function that is unreliable?

That statement is not correct.  Live TV can be paused on the TV's connected to the non-DVR STB's when a program is being recorded on the DVR.

By the way, other than U-verse, what other TV service allows live TV to be paused on a TV connected to a non-DVR receiver?

26 of 32 (2,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2011 9:10:59 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jimgfitzgerald on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:12:12 AM

You seem to have nothing positive to say about U-Verse.  Maybe you should switch to cable or Direct TV.

[ Edited ]
27 of 32 (2,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2011 9:13:30 AM
(0)
Guru

mainframe wrote:

I was responding to this person.

28 of 32 (2,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2011 11:33:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

To the OP, have you tried doing a soft reboot of the non dvr stbs (set top boxes)?  Some people have posted that the feature worked after they did that.

29 of 32 (2,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2011 12:56:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

texasguy37 - I stand corrected to the extent that the non-DVR can pause live TV while recording, but there is at least some condition we've encountered that prevented use of the pause function.  I'm sorry I don't have the specific message or condition - I'll let you know what they are if/when the reoccur.  In the meantime, does U-verse claim that there is no condition that prevents a non-DVR TV viewer from pausing live TV?

texasguy37 wrote:

"...other than U-verse, what other TV service allows live TV to be paused on a TV connected to a non-DVR receiver?"

The issue at my house is that I'm considering replacement of a two DVR configuration with the U-verse shared DVR configuration.  To my knowledge, no other cable provider prevents multiple DVR configurations, allowing full DVR functions on any DVR equipped TV, including dedicated, private and secure recording ca[abilities allowing concurrent recording two programs on each.

In my short evaluation of U-verse (once I solved some continuous DVR halting problems), the increased number of HD channels, slick interface and generally smooth operation are improvements over the local competitor.  The ability to move to another room and continue watching a program or watch a recording in any room offer no benefit for me.  My son's inadvertent deletion of scheduled recordings, our being required to cooperatively manage disk space and having to view all recordings in order to select one to watch are distinct disadvantages.  Now only on day 3, I've already had to resolve a conflict attempting to record 5 programs at the same time.  'Being able' to record 4 programs concurrently is only and advantage over single TV DVR configurations - it's a distinct disadvantage for more than two TVs that could employ a DVR for each TV.

The fundamental idea that sharing a single disk drive offers any economic advantage is invalid, since the one time cost of acquiring a disk drive for each TV would be minimal.  Is there any real advantage to sharing a single recording server other than being able to watch any recording on any TV?  Again that's no useful benefit for me - it definitely does not offset the many disadvantages.

If a single recording server is crucial, U-verse needs to step up to providing at the very least the ability for each TV user to manage his own resources.  Personally, I'd just like to have two U-verse DVRs in my home, but then, this would not be cost competitive with alternative cable providers...

30 of 32 (2,042 Views)