Mitch397's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 5:38 PM

Intermittant Recording Misses

On an intermittant basis some scheduled recordings are missed and some only record partially.  Most get recorded properly.

I tried a disaster recovery for my DVR (formatting).  My scheduled recordings look correct on the DVR and on the internet.

Is this normal for most Uverse users?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

14 years ago

Another thing that can cause a scheduled recording to not take place is the guide info could be incorrect.  If a program is new or a first run, but the guide info gives it an older date then the dvr will consider it a repeat.  As stated in an earlier post, I also check my recordings on a daily basis to make sure they are set to record.  I do this mainly because of the guide inconsistencies.  I have caught incidents where new programs were airing and the guide info said they were repeats.  It is a workaround to get your selected programs recorded.  I hope this and all of the other info you have been given helps.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

14 years ago

No, mine has never missed a setup recording in 2+ yrs on the same DVR.  Key word, one that was setup, I watch the scheduled recordings like a hawk and catch any missing or conflicted recordings before they happen.

A while ago I had some series setups that were corrupted that had to be deleted and setup again and were then good to go.

It all depends on which profile (32/5, 25/2 or 19/2) how many HD channels you have to record, etc.

Didn't you lose all your recordings after doing the disaster recovery? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

I have a 25/2 setup with 3 HD channels allowed to record.  When I re-formatted (disaster recovery) the DVR, I did lose all recordings there but the Internet setups continued to record.  I am 2,900 feet from my VRad.

Should I delete and reschedule any series which fail to record?  Its possible those specific ones are corrupted.  However, their misses are only intermittant and the vast majority of episodes do record.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

14 years ago

@Mitch397 wrote:

I have a 25/2 setup with 3 HD channels allowed to record.  When I re-formatted (disaster recovery) the DVR, I did lose all recordings there but the Internet setups continued to record.  I am 2,900 feet from my VRad.

Should I delete and reschedule any series which fail to record?  Its possible those specific ones are corrupted.  However, their misses are only intermittant and the vast majority of episodes do record.

From what i have been told (by someone who told me he was slightly above a Tier 2 tech support staff) is that there seems to be a communication issue between the RG/DVR and a remote AT&T server.  Apparently the RG and DVR phone home to AT&T before a show is recorded.  Don't know why.  The fix is 1) reboot the DVR (press and hold the power button until thescreen comes up with three dots.  It will reboot in less than 5 minutes) OR delete and reestablish the series recordings.  I think that they do the same thing.  If the "missing" show is still on, the DVR should start recording after the reboot is done.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

I did the reboot at least six times in the past and I did the formatting just once.  The problem is still the same.

ATT offered to send me a new DVR but I doubt that is really the problem.

I suspect there is no solution especially since it is intermittent.  If the same series is affected twice in a row, then I will delete that series and then reinstate it.  Miburnsurg said that is what he did when he sensed the series instructions were corrupt.

Guru

• 

497 Messages

14 years ago

Did you try from the Internet also?  

Does it show future recording and then not record them?

Guru

• 

497 Messages

14 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@Mitch397 wrote:

From what i have been told (by someone who told me he was slightly above a Tier 2 tech support staff) is that there seems to be a communication issue between the RG/DVR and a remote AT&T server.  Apparently the RG and DVR phone home to AT&T before a show is recorded.  Don't know why.  The fix is 1) reboot the DVR (press and hold the power button until thescreen comes up with three dots.  It will reboot in less than 5 minutes) OR delete and reestablish the series recordings.  I think that they do the same thing.  If the "missing" show is still on, the DVR should start recording after the reboot is done.

I was told the reason they do that is to basically store your recordings in the cloud.  That way they are available on the Web and the DVR can be replaced without rescheduling shows. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

Web remote on the internet shows the recordings properly.  Just some are missed by the DVR.  I deleted all the problem series and reinstated them.  I'll see if that solves things.

I did notice that the DVR did NOT show all of the series episodes to be recorded but web remote did.  After deletion and reinstatement they show scheduled on both the DVR and Web Remote now.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

14 years ago

@Mitch397 wrote:

Web remote on the internet shows the recordings properly.  Just some are missed by the DVR.  I deleted all the problem series and reinstated them.  I'll see if that solves things.

I did notice that the DVR did NOT show all of the series episodes to be recorded but web remote did.  After deletion and reinstatement they show scheduled on both the DVR and Web Remote now.

Yep - If you ever notice any discrepancies between the DVR and web remote, it is time for a DVR reboot (or delete / reestablish the series).

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

I called that 866 number and the tech knew exactly what was causing my problem.  I have a 25/2 profile with 3 HD / 1 SD capability for WATCHING TV.  However, that works out to 1.5 HD channels to RECORD.  Thus, by recording 2 HD channels at once I was confusing the DVR  and losing one or both recordings.

I am able to watch 2 HD channels and record just 1 in any time frame.  I can also watch 3 HD channels in any time frame.  Thus, I went in and dropped all those double HD scheduled recordings and will just watch the 2nd if I am so disposed.  Thanks for the 866 phone number.  The techs there seem better than the usual 800 number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.