ladytonya's profile

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 3:37 AM

Installation tomorrow

I have my installation appointment tomorrow and have read all the documents on getting ready for installation and am still wondering what to expect. I live in an apartment and called the building manager on Friday, she told me that she had never been asked about getting U-verse installed and that she knew several people in the complex have that service. I had read somewhere that I had to have permission from the apartment to get the installation.

I am also wondering about the jacks in the walls and if they will just use those or if they'll have to install new jacks of some kind. Currently, I have Charter Cable with HD and DVR. The only other jacks in the apartment are telephone but they've not been used in the year we've been here because we don't have a land line telephone. So, does the U-verse service run through regular cable connections or through telephone jacks? I've read here and it gives all the technical names for the jacks or cable, not sure which, but I have no clue what that all means. If I am understadning correctly, one is ethernet cable, one is cable tv cable, and one is telephone cable.

One other questions I just thought of. Everything I read said not to disconnect your old service provider until the U-verse is installed and working, but how does that work if it is the cable connection that they are using for the U-verse services? The more I read, the more confused I am getting! While I am fairly proficient on a computer and have even set up my own WiFi network in three different living situation, I don't know the names of all the different cables and connections. Any explanation for what typically happens with internet and TV installation in an apartment would be greatly helpful! Thanks!

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

ladytonya, everyone else has to work. You do like most, and schedule a day off from work as a personal day. I did that, when I had my u-verse install done. Most of the day, I sat around waiting, but after the guy was done, I took the Comcast equipment and dropped it off the day of the u-verse install.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

13 years ago

Install done and only 2 hours of work missed!  I was very impressed with the tech for the most part, it would have been done quicker if my apartment manager wasn't inept and could have told me that the connection was in my laundry room before he walkd around the whole apartment building looking for where the connection was.  

Not everyone has personal time, or at least personal time available.  I accrue 1 day of PTO per month, that's only 12 days per year and that's for both vacations and sick days.  I can't afford to use one of my days off sitting around waiting on an installation, but things worked out anyway. He was able to use the existing coax and he found the telephone jack in the computer room and was able to run a cable from that jack to the RG and place the RG where it reached the desktop computer. I don't really like where the RG is siting because it's on the floor next to the wall, but it is what it is and I seem to have stron signal throughout the whole apartment, even all the way in the back of the second bedroom. 

Now I just have to play around with it and get my personal setting set up, but that's for another thread. I'll mark this one solved since my install is finished and thanks to everyone who helped me both last night and today!

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

You can probably put it up on top of the desk, if they gave you enough coax. The green phone cord, which is Cat-5e, is about 14 feet long.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Right on good stuff. Hopefully you like it. So no phone line right lol?

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

13 years ago

Nope, no phone! Just double play, not triple play. Speaking of double and triple plays, I am now really upset with AT&T. I thought I had done all my research only to find out that I will miss many Braves games because of some dispute between Fox and AT&T. Kinda funny because AT&T is a HUGE sponsor of the Braves, they are all over Turner Field and their web site but no on U-verse. Boo!

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

It has nothing to do with Fox & ATT. You can't watch Braves on TV on Comcast, Insight, Charter, ATT, etc. No one shows the Braves on TV, in my area, unless you pay for the MLB package with Roku, or watch online. It is more of a Ted Turner issue, which providers are not going to pay his prices. The only time that I have seen the braves in my local area, is when they are playing a team from our market.

This site http://www.the506.com/mlbmaps/ shows a map of the games, and along with schedules for NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

13 years ago

I live in North Carolina, we are in the Braves region so we get all the games on Charter and did on Direct TV as well, without paying for MLB Extra Innings. With U-verse, I get all but 45 because of where those games are televised. Pretty sad that a company that sponors the Braves are too cheap to carry all their games!  Anyway, there are tons of threads about it here and on U-verse's Facebook page. Something to do with Peachtree TV, Fox Sports, and money. If figures, it always has something to do with money!

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Every provider has different programming.  In choosing a provider, it is a good idea to do some research first.

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

It is not just ATT ladytonya, Comcast is the same way in our market, and before Comcast bought the market, which was Insight, we never got the Braves. Only time I remember us ever being able to see the Braves play in our local market, was back in the 90's, before Insight took over the market then.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.