Posted Feb 4, 2011
5:00:38 PM
How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

Hello AT&T customers!  I recently had the walls to my bedroom painted, so I unhooked all my electronics and tossed them in a box.

Now I need to get the AT&T U-Verse box hooked up again so I can watch the movie channels again!  What all cords and equipment came with the AT&T U-Verse box, and how do I get them all connected properly?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 9, 2011 6:34:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry I haven't posting in a while.  I just figured out my problem!

My TV wasn't display the video from the AT&T U-Verse box because I was using the incorrect AC adaptor.  All the AC adaptors I tried using had different amounts of mA for output.  I now have the correct equipment and my problem is fixed.  Thanks for the help everybody!

Accepted Solution

How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:19:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Do you have the tv setup again?  What is the connection coming out of your wall?  Is it coax or an ethernet connection?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I connect my AT&T U-Verse box back up?

2 of 21 (23,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:31:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

RCSMG wrote:

Do you have the tv setup again?  What is the connection coming out of your wall?  Is it coax or an ethernet connection?

My TV is set up.  I actually played some video games on it.

I think the connection is ethernet.  The wall looks like this:

3 of 21 (23,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 5:41:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Take the ethernet cable and connect it from the wall to your stb.  Use the ethernet or Cat5 cable to  connect the wall outlet to the networking port on the stb.  What do the other cables look like that you have?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 21 (23,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 6:24:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

RCSMG wrote:

Take the ethernet cable and connect it from the wall to your stb.  Use the ethernet or Cat5 cable to  connect the wall outlet to the networking port on the stb.  What do the other cables look like that you have?

I have both a coaxial cable and a composite cable.  I try hooking the AT&T U-Verse box to my TV both ways using this guide, and my TV screen is just black.  Isn't it supposed to show a blue screen with white text on it?

The AT&T U-Verse box was also connected to a power outlet like this during my two attempts, so I'm not trying to use this thing without any power!:

5 of 21 (23,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 6:42:46 PM
(0)
Expert

Your link took me to a general ATT login page. 

Can you post a photo of the screen on your TV?

This is the same box you had before you painted? 

This same room was already provisioned/connected for Uverse?

6 of 21 (23,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 7:04:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

spd2demun wrote:

Your link took me to a general ATT login page. 

Can you post a photo of the screen on your TV?

This is the same box you had before you painted? 

This same room was already provisioned/connected for Uverse?

I copied the entire link, pasted it as a text file, and uploaded it to Rapidshare.

This is a photo of my TV screen:

I am using the same box as I had before I had my room painted.  It was connected to AT&T U-Verse, and displayed everything just fine.

7 of 21 (23,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 7:08:06 PM
(0)
Guru

Just a shot in the dark--is your TV set to channel 3, and did you check the TV setting for input?

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

8 of 21 (23,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 7:10:33 PM
(0)
Expert

Do you have another Ethernet patch cord you can try for that box?

If the same result, try swapping that box with another one in that location (the newly-painted room).

9 of 21 (23,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 7:11:21 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by JapanInMyDreams on Feb 4, 2011 at 7:11:54 PM

docbombay wrote:

Just a shot in the dark--is your TV set to channel 3, and did you check the TV setting for input?

docbombay

When I had my TV hooked up via coax, I had it on channel 3 and channel 4.

When I had my TV hooked up via composite, I had it on video 1 and video 2.

[ Edited ]
10 of 21 (23,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 5:21:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Do you have another DVR or STB elseware in the house you can go look at for reference?  I would go look at one of those and try to match things as close as possible for the bedroom and take it from there.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

11 of 21 (20,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 8:30:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by JapanInMyDreams on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:32:09 AM

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Do you have another DVR or STB elseware in the house you can go look at for reference?  I would go look at one of those and try to match things as close as possible for the bedroom and take it from there.

I looked at the AT&T U-Verse box set up on my back porch.  It's connected the same way as my bedroom box.  The only difference is that my bedroom box won't display on my TV.

[ Edited ]
12 of 21 (20,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 8:56:33 AM
(0)
Expert

Then, you'll need to try swapping the boxes as suggested earlier, and/or swap the Ethernet cables and see if it's the box or the cable.

Is your TV small enough to carry to the porch and try it there?  Could be something wrong with the TV?

13 of 21 (20,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 10:36:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

spd2demun wrote:

Then, you'll need to try swapping the boxes as suggested earlier, and/or swap the Ethernet cables and see if it's the box or the cable.

Is your TV small enough to carry to the porch and try it there?  Could be something wrong with the TV?

My TV is too heavy to carry to the porch.

I don't think there is something wrong with my TV.  I can play my Xbox 360 on it.

14 of 21 (20,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 2:16:48 PM
(0)
Employee

Is it possible paint got on the contacts in the wall plate and the cable end is not making good contact. If it is paint you should be able to clean it off but be carefull not to bend the pins. Sticking the end of the cable in several times if the coating is thin may scrape it off. Depending on the type of paint a drop of water or paint thinner may work. If you have the tools just replacing the connector in the wall if the problem was called by paint. In the past all you needed was a screwdriver and longnose pliers. Not sure how the wires are connected using newer connectors.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

15 of 21 (20,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 3:20:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Not sure if this will help but take a look here. http://www.foxcitiestv.com/node/962

Also as mentioned, make sure your TV is on the correct chanel. You can also call tech support and they will walk you through the conections. Just dial 924 when you get the recorded mesage, this will get you to a real person. I hope this helps.

16 of 21 (20,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 5:49:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Call ts at the number in my sig.  Ask the csr to run a test to see if the stb is showing up.  Or if there are any errors.  If so, they will send a tech out to check your service and get you connected properly if necessary.

17 of 21 (20,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2011 6:03:14 PM
(0)
Expert

OK, and I forgot about the Xbox.
And you were connected via Ethernet according to your photo of the wall plate?
The easiest solution would be to bring the porch box to the other room and see if it works there.
You can also download UverseRealtime and look at your stats (or post screenshots) as it will show all of your equipment online or not.

JapanInMyDreams wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

My TV is too heavy to carry to the porch.

I don't think there is something wrong with my TV.  I can play my Xbox 360 on it.

18 of 21 (20,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 9, 2011 6:34:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry I haven't posting in a while.  I just figured out my problem!

My TV wasn't display the video from the AT&T U-Verse box because I was using the incorrect AC adaptor.  All the AC adaptors I tried using had different amounts of mA for output.  I now have the correct equipment and my problem is fixed.  Thanks for the help everybody!

19 of 21 (20,616 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 6:35:23 PM
(0)
Guru

Thanks for posting the solution!

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

20 of 21 (20,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 7:59:56 PM
(0)
Expert

Glad you figured it out--sometimes it's the simplest of things. :smileyhappy:

21 of 21 (19,401 Views)