jswasson's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 4:17 PM

HDMI signal getting lost

I keep losing HDMI signal to my television.

I have tried seperate HDMI cables and I have tried both HDMI ports on my TV and I keep getting the same result.

The TV flashes between snow, green, snow, red, snow, green and repeats. Eventually it will either go to all snow or the tv will show "no signal".

I can switch over to Antenna and signal is fine (doesn't look good, but works)

The only way to correct it is to reboot the set top/dvr.

this is my 2nd DVR/Set Top box that AT&T has sent me.

Any suggestions?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jswasson - Probably the only solution is to switch to component cables. Just out of curiosity, what is brand and model of TV??

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@jswasson wrote:

I keep losing HDMI signal to my television.

I have tried seperate HDMI cables and I have tried both HDMI ports on my TV and I keep getting the same result.

The TV flashes between snow, green, snow, red, snow, green and repeats. Eventually it will either go to all snow or the tv will show "no signal".

I can switch over to Antenna and signal is fine (doesn't look good, but works)

The only way to correct it is to reboot the set top/dvr.

this is my 2nd DVR/Set Top box that AT&T has sent me.

Any suggestions?

The component route will work as good as HDMI for Uverse, but not for a 1080p device like a Blu-Ray player.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10235

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

If it happens to be a Sharp TV, maybe a couple years old, call Sharp - it's known issue (with their equipment) and last time I checked, it was a free fix.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

This issue still going on.
Bought new HDMI cables just in case. This is something wring with the STB.
And no, component looks worst than HDMI.

Power cycling STB is not an option when you are recording.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jswasson - Component is as good as HDMI. It is three connections for video & two for audio. Make sure you get the connections correct. You may want to tweak your picture settings.

Is this the actual DVR or a plain STB?? If it is a plain STB you can reboot without impacting any recording on the DVR. If it is the DVR, I would consider swapping with another STB - At least as a test & possibly permanent, depending on your setup.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
jswasson - Component is as good as HDMI. It is three connections for video & two for audio. Make sure you get the connections correct. You may want to tweak your picture settings.

Is this the actual DVR or a plain STB?? If it is a plain STB you can reboot without impacting any recording on the DVR. If it is the DVR, I would consider swapping with another STB - At least as a test & possibly permanent, depending on your setup.

People think that HDMI is the be all/end all of connections.  IT'S NOT....the truth of the matter is that some TVs connect better with component.

When I got new wireless boxes, the Prem Tech used my HDMI cables.  Right after he left, the TV/STB kept freezing up so I called back.  He came back, looked at what was happening, walked out to the truck, came back in with a set of component cables, hooked them up, smiled and walked out. 

Haven't had an issue since and the picture is fine.  This was on a Olevia HD TV in the BR.  The Sharp in the LR is fine with HDMI.

If Plan A doesn't work, move to Plan B.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Switching to component is a workaround, but is an inconvenience. Personally I've had Uverse and the same STBs for over 5 years. I've had a swap of the DVR 3.5 years ago but wasn't really new equipment. Just larger HDD capacity.
My issues with HDMI sync being lost didn't start until a few months ago.
So out of the last 5 years, I've used HDMI from my 4 receivers to models of TVs varying in make with no issue. Then a slough of updates start occurring over the last 6 months and a problem arises, and its my equipment??? Don't think so...

EDIT:  By the way, this happens on 4 different model TVs.  Samsung DLP, Vizio LED, JVC LED, LG LED.

Scholar

• 

108 Messages

11 years ago

I have hdmi problems every now and then. I agree gs32, using component cables is not acceptable. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I had the same problem with a Vizio TV. Worked great with Comcast and various DVD and Blu Ray players, but no signal every time the TV was turned off and on when connected to the U Verse Cisco STB. Unplugging the HDMI cable from the STB and plugging it back in usually restored the connection.
Here's what fixed my problem.
I used the shortest HDMI cable I could to connect the STB to the TV, in this case a 2' cable.
The 10' cable the technician used to connect the TV doesn't work, and neither did the better quality 6' cable I tried. The 2' cable works every time without a problem.
What does this mean?
The problem is probably that the HDMI output from the Cisco STB is lower than most other devices, and the Visio TV is probably pickier than some others about the quality of the HDMI signal it needs to lock on and display picture and sound. A shorter cable has less capacitance, which allows for a cleaner signal to reach the TV input. All of the cables tried worked fine when used in my other TV setup (an LG).
AND, the Vizio has worked fine with the Comcast STB and various other devices.
I tried all the other fixes I saw in these forums, to no avail.
The short cable fixes my problem, and may work for you as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Interesting solution with the shorter HDMI cable. I'm having the same problem with my LG TV but it is is going through an Dennon receiver. But I did try the direct connect method and I was still getting snow. Based on the variety of TVs that are having the problem it seems pretty clear the problem is a uverse box problem.

BTW at one time the solution for the problem was simply to change the input out of Sat/Cable to any other input and then swith back. Now the problem has degraded to where I have to reset the box. However resetting the box is not necessary if I am willing to wait about 10 minutes and then some kind of reset automatically takes place  . . . and then I get a picture.

So the problem is getting worse. But I have about 4 hours of DVR material I have to go through before I request a swap out of the box.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.