Posted Feb 10, 2010
4:21:07 PM
External Hard Drive

I have done some searching and I know that you can not add a external hard drive to the DVR.  I have seen post as far back as 2008 wishing for this.  Anyone know if this is in the works?

51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 2, 2012 5:38:35 PM
(0)
Expert

We've heard rumors that they're working on implementing it.

Re: External Hard Drive

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2012 10:22:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

By the way, i have a new vip2250 and it has an eSATA port on the back, see pic HERE   (not my receiver)

This could open the door for people w/ newer DVR's to add a faster HDD in anticipation of this feature.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 6, 2012 10:13:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

To add to SomeJoe7777's post, You can plug in devices to charge with the USB ports; however with some devices your STB will likely (VIP12xx series, untested with 22xx) freeze requiring reboot. Sometimes Windows CE knows a device has been inserted.

About USB/eSATA support, for the serious TV junkies they would want to use those ports so why not enable them. mmm offline internal backup

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2012 12:01:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there any news on the development of being able to offload programs from the DVR to an external device. I am still waiting for this, would really love to see it available.  I am amazed more folks aren't screaming for this feature, after all, competetors are using it as a selling point.  :smileymad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 7:00:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Both Brighthouse and Directv recievers have their e-sata ports enabled for the customer to add external harddrives. Having just switched to AT&T Uverse I am totally impressed with the system. Perfection would be obtained with activation of the e-sata port.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 8:49:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

I've been using this for years...first with Dish now with ATT. 

TroulHawk wrote:

Is there any news on the development of being able to offload programs from the DVR to an external device. I am still waiting for this, would really love to see it available.  I am amazed more folks aren't screaming for this feature, after all, competetors are using it as a selling point.  :smileymad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 31, 2012 4:11:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi, i see it's been since August that someone posted on this thread. I'm thinking about switching from Directv to Uverse and this is a huge sticking point for me, I have a 1TB eSata drive attached to both of my Directv DVRs and therefore tons of room for recording. It will be really hard to give up that adddtional space by switching and though i want to, it is holding me back.

I've seen sightings of an eSata port on Uverse receivers in this forum, any updates on if it has been enabled for external drive functionality yet? Thanks. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 1, 2013 7:01:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

None right now and AT&T wouldn't announce anything until after it's been released.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 2:31:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
The USB port is for u-verse to use for testing or maintenance ...I wish that we would use it to attach extra storage .

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013 12:43:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wow!!! This is my first post on ATT and it looks like the same issue I'm wondering about has been a VERY LONG-STANDING issue with a lot of people. I guess the first question is whether anyone from ATT is even reading this stuff and, if so, what is so difficult with enabling the USB port for external drive accommodation when other providers are already doing it? Is ATT leading edge or is it not?????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 14, 2013 5:06:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had dish and used an external hard drive.  When the drive was first plugged in the DISH DVR did a proprietary reformat that could only be read by the DISH DVR box.  A PC was unable to read and access the drive without a reformat by Windows.

ATT customers should not be restricted from adding external hard drives.  We need more space for our viewing pleasure.  This technology is readily available for ATT to utilize and provide for its loyal customers. It is being utilized by other providers and can be attained by ATT.

When my ATT tech hooked up my VIP2250 box, he told me that I could use an external hard drive, but I see that it wasn't true which disappoints me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 14, 2013 5:55:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

My first post to this forum 4 years ago was to confirm what I had read on this forum--you can't--which contradicted what I had been told by an AT&T chat rep (you could).  Nope, still can't use an external hard drive.

I'm not sure that the USB ports that are on these boxes were ever intended to be used for anything other than power.  It could also be that the hardware platform would have to spend too much time managing the USB interface for it to be effective.  I don't think we'll ever know.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2013 6:52:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

It is absolutely amazing that Uverse does not provide a basic function most providers have had for a couple of years. Every day I see the competition match or exceed Uverse functions. They do not have an app for windows phone8, which I purchased from AT&T wireless. Uverse please wake up or customers will move on.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 6, 2014 12:01:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Up until about a year ago I had Dish Network.  Qite happy with it, but looked to save some cash. Only switched because I could save some money with Uverse/Internet. I had 2 Western Digital DVR expanders hooked up via USB port.  As I recall, with On Demand, whether on the Dish Receiver or the DVR expander, you were still limited to a specific amout of time you could watch. After that just as well erase them.

I agree that ATT should get the External DVR concept working.  My concern, no matter how large the drive on the Uverse receiver, what do you do if the receiver needs to be replaced?  I am not aware of a way to save any important recordings.  I have a VIP 2250.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 6, 2014 7:25:42 PM
(0)
Employee
There are posts about buying external equipment to record your shows fromthe DVR.

As the DVR is for temporary storage not permanent, any lose of recordings either by auto delete as HD fills up, factory reset of DVR or required replacement results in loss.

While talk of future possibilities include cloud storage, would suspect only have access to recordings as long as have active Uverse account that is not suspended as this is the current model. Cancel service or suspended service no access to DVR recordings.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2014 9:33:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

How is it possible that this form was posted in 2010 and now it is 2014 and you still cant connect external a HDD to uvese 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 7, 2014 10:01:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Anyone know of another service that does let you use a extrnal hard drive?

We are going on a trip in a few months, and I need more space.

I cannot afford to take off more days just to watch what is on the DVR.

Besides most of it is her stuff, that " I CANNOT erase! " ( she tells me in a mean voice )

So if we switch, she is going to have to watch what she wants, and I can get plenty of space.

We pay over $300 for our services, and nothing has changed over the past 5 years.

well except the wireless reciver, that I do not even use.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2014 2:30:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

since my uverse and internet are the same box does this allow me to connect an external drive and have access to it via my home network? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2014 12:52:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Chuck797 wrote:

since my uverse and internet are the same box does this allow me to connect an external drive and have access to it via my home network? 

At this time, no it doesn't.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 20, 2014 6:38:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

I too am very disappointed that the U-Verse box does not let me connect and use an external hard drive to extend the space of my DVR's recording capacity.

I just switched over from DISH where I had no problems at all attaching a 2 Terabyte Hard drive to record and play back programs.  The Dish drive is NOT propriety formatted, as some folks think, it is a basic Linux formatting, but even after you copy the files to your pc you still can not play them because they are encrypted and I have never found a way to decrypt them.

The point is I could use an eternal hard drive to play and record any programs or move the programs back and forth from my external hard drive to my internal hard drive.  The DISH unit that did this is 3 year old, 2011 technology - there is no excuse why AT&T could not implement external hard drive support.

P.S.  The other ting I don't like about u-verse s no quick one button click to bring up my favorites in the guide, again DISH is generation ahead in support.  On Dish hit guide twice and you select which list you want the guide to show - any one of my favorites I set up, all channels I GET, all HD channels I GET or all channels. 

Another neat Dish feature which I don't know if U-Verse does or not is that when you have a free weekend preview of HBO etcetera, the channels automatically pop up in the guides while they are active and automatically disappeared when the free weekend is over.

Why did I switch?  Contract expired and the usual game all these providers play of only giving new subscribers a good price, so if we want the best price we have to change providers every year or two.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2014 2:30:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello all,

Im too have been trying to connect a External HDD or USB Drive but it seemd the USB ports are not enabled so; I just called AT&T Uverse support and they informed me the USB ports are not enabled on the DVR or the receiver units at this time but did assure me that is a planned upgrade. However from the looks of this forum I dont think I will hold my breath... I will just use my DVD player it works for now.. Good luck Guy's and Gals.

As to  the why did I switch comnment I can tell you why I switched simply its $$$$ I saved about 100.00 USD swtiching my internet and Satelite TV from Dish and comcast. And got more channels so I am happy with the service so far. But to be fair it is frustrating not to be able to expand the storage capacity or connect a USB drive to whatch a downloaded movie. So I agree it is a big negitive and this should have been updated a long time ago... in my opinion.. 

Dino...:smileyfrustrated:

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2014 3:18:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The very first thing I learned on these forums was that the Chat operator lied to me when they told me I could connect a USB drive to the DVR.