Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Glad it's fixed! What's the make and model of your AV receiver?

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks!...I left the TV on today all day as it would work before for awhile and then quit...over 8 hours now and no more sound drop off...

I was using an Outlaw 1050 but am now using a Panasonic SA-XR55...works like a charm with it on or off (with it on, I can see how many speakers are getting the signal from the Cisco Receiver)...I am very pleased thus far...thanks for the help and support...

Bill

Scholar

• 

87 Messages

12 years ago

@rambler358 wrote:
Mine seems to be fixed as well with the 2250, but I also have an Onkyo receiver.  However, something new I'm seeing with the 2250 is an HDMI error message that briefly shows on screen when I start my AV setup.  It then quickly disappears and I have no problem.  I have HDMI out from the 2250 going into my receiver, and then to the TV.  Everything starts up automatically with a Logitech remote. 

I see the exactly the same behavior occasionally on startup.  In my case, my Logitech Harmony powers up my LG LCD, then my Yamaha AVR, then my Motorola VIP1225 DVR.  It seems like depending upon how quickly the components come on, and how efficiently the handshakes are processed, I will sometimes get an error.  I have tried powering up the 3 components in various orders, but no permutation completely eliminates the occasional errors (which don't even rise to the level of an annoyance).  

I read somewhere that the "proper" order of bootup for HDMI handshakes is to work backward from the end of the line, in this case, the TV.  I am curious if any of the experts out here could confirm or dispute that advice....

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Powering up the TV first could reduce that error display, however if your TV is slow to start up you'll still see it sometime.

Usually slowest to fastest start up with timed delay, would fix something like this.

Some AVR's can be configured to use an HDMI port in a pass-through mode, maybe that might help.

You are using a VIP1225 a slow DVR (resuming DVR services after sleep capability adds more lag time.) which always increases the probability. If you have a VIP1200 try that box instead, because there is no complex moving parts related I/O operations it's faster, just enough.

I ask this because it matters, Is Your DVR's software updated to 2.1.2295.10?

(Menu button on remote, scroll to Options, press OK on highlighted System Options.)

You've tried almost all the ways, you probably don't want to use component video.

Scholar

• 

87 Messages

12 years ago

@Ones wrote:

You are using a VIP1225 a slow DVR (resuming DVR services after sleep capability adds more lag time.) which always increases the probability. If you have a VIP1200 try that box instead, because there is no complex moving parts related I/O operations it's faster, just enough.

I ask this because it matters, Is Your DVR's software updated to 2.1.2295.10?

(Menu button on remote, scroll to Options, press OK on highlighted System Options.)

You've tried almost all the ways, you probably don't want to use component video.

Yes, the DVR (and all our STBs) are running 2.1.2295.10.  That has significantly improved the response time to commands from the stock U-verse remote on the VIP1200 STBs.  

As far as the occasional HDMI error (which always resolves itself in one or two seconds), it's really not a bother.  I only see it 1 or 2 times a week.  I agree that it would be ideal if the Harmony could include a delay between device startup commands, as I think you are correct in that the DVR is the slow to come up to speed.

UPDATE:  Not interested in going to component, since my Yamaha (YHT-S400) doesn't have an unused optical input, and I'd rather not drop back to stereo.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

A couple more non-Onkyo confirmations are in order, but once we have that out of the way I think we can finally offically call this one "resolved".  🙂

I am thrilled that AT&T fixed it on the newest generation of equipment, but bummed that it means the only fix available involves a DVR swap.  Even at that, I tried passing this info along to AT&T support and they are not receptive to it.  Tried two techs who said they have never heard of anyone having any audio dropout problems.

Who knows how many people are just dealing with the inability to use surround sound via HDMI, completely unaware there is a possible solution out there.  I had to fight tooth and nail and AT&T support kept trying to send me to ConnecTech, a paid service that would have had little chance of solving my problem.

For the good of others, I'd ask the mods and major contributers who have contacts at AT&T to try to get this information passed up the foodchain.   Thanks and merry christmas all!

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, May you not have any show stopping problems. Smiley LOL

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Smiley Very Happy The technician just left my home after installing the vip2250.  Sound dropout problem solved! 

It only took two days going back and forth with tech support on the phone and two technician visits to get the vip2250.

I told the last tech that the vip2250 solved the problems of others in this forum so he reluctantly hooked one up to my system and it worked.Smiley Very Happy 

I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 and a sharp 60" led. All sources goes through the avr and everything including the vip2250, in surround mode, is working as it should.

Thanks the info on this forum really helped!!!

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for your report!  Glad to hear this is a fix for several people.

Now IF it is confirmed to fix the dropouts for ALL receiver brands, will ATT willingly, at no extra charge, swap out DVRs for this model?   And it's not available in all markets. Smiley Sad

@jdenn61 wrote:

Smiley Very Happy The technician just left my home after installing the vip2250.  Sound dropout problem solved! 

It only took two days going back and forth with tech support on the phone and two technician visits to get the vip2250.

I told the last tech that the vip2250 solved the problems of others in this forum so he reluctantly hooked one up to my system and it worked.Smiley Very Happy 

I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 and a sharp 60" led. All sources goes through the avr and everything including the vip2250, in surround mode, is working as it should.

Thanks the info on this forum really helped!!!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Of course, we're getting a number of reports that the VIP2250 and ISB7500 receivers will spontaneously reboot on occasion, apparently when they're connected via HDMI.

So for the time being, it seems that we may have swapped one problem for another.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.