Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

my service technician (what a thinng to spring on her for a Monday ) said she cannot specifically get me a Motorola VIP 2250 but she can request it in the notes field...then my order will go to shipping and they will send me what they send me...

I will keep you all apprised on what transpires and/or if this fixes the issues on a non Onkyo recievered Home Theater and the digital audio drop off...

Bill

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

For whatever it's worth, I tested surround sound via HDMI from vip2250 on my friends's Yamaha and it works  🙂   Of course, I didn't test that receiver with the vip1225 so I can't really say it's a "fix".

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

Silversport -  it is important to note that support cannot directly order you a vip2250 unless you pay an upcharge.  Otherwise your order goes to a warehouse where I'm betting the person shoving DVR's into boxes couldn't possibly care less about you wanting a 2250 than he already doesn't.  You would need to speak to billing to get anywhere with that if you don't receive the 2250 as a replacement.  Billing has the power to order you a 2250 as an upgrade and then nix the upgrade charge, in effect giving you a fix for your problem.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

thank you for that...I believe that is what they are trying to do...I was told that my teck would check to see exactly what receiver they were sedning out (after making the information known in the note field) and if it was not the VIP 2250 she would cancel it so it isn't sent and call me.

I received no call so as I mentioned before...fingers crossed...Smiley Wink

Bill

Scholar

• 

117 Messages

12 years ago

@gpeaslee wrote:

Have you noticed any difference in operating the vip2250 with the remote control? The reason I ask is that for me the vip1225 seems to have a very narrow IR reception window. If the remote is not pointed almost exactly at the box, the correct IR command will not register. Sometimes it will randomly change channels and last night, it muted the box. It would be great if this problem has been fixed in the vip2250 as well.

Yes, the 2250 has very much improved the receiver's IR port from the 1225 model - at least in my case.

Scholar

• 

117 Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
This is good that we now have at least 3 people who say the VIP2250 fixed their audio dropout problem. However, all of you have Onkyo AV receivers. I would like to see some other people who have audio dropout problems with other brands also post their findings.

Mine seems to be fixed as well with the 2250, but I also have an Onkyo receiver.  However, something new I'm seeing with the 2250 is an HDMI error message that briefly shows on screen when I start my AV setup.  It then quickly disappears and I have no problem.  I have HDMI out from the 2250 going into my receiver, and then to the TV.  Everything starts up automatically with a Logitech remote.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

well I won't be able to report if it works for me as yet since they sent ma a Cisco ISB 7500...over an hour and a half and more assurances than I have ever heard from AT&T and they STILL sent out the wrong box...

Bill

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

The Cisco ISB 7500 is just Cisco's version of the VIP2250. It also has the 2nd generation electronics just like the VIP2250, including the Broadcom CPU and other support chips.

You should try the Cisco ISB7500 and see if it fixes your issue.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The Cisco ISB 7500 is just Cisco's version of the VIP2250. It also has the 2nd generation electronics just like the VIP2250, including the Broadcom CPU and other support chips.

You should try the Cisco ISB7500 and see if it fixes your issue.

SomeJoe7777,

Thank you...I will...I have to wait until after 8PM to hook it up according to the included paperwork...I'll report back in any event...(I had hoped this was a similar machine)

Bill

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe7777 called it correctly (so far Smiley Wink)...I received my new Cisco ISB7500 yesterday to replace my older silver receiver Cisco that couldn't hold the Surround Sound...Stereo worked fine in Digital Audio Output...

this puts an end to a 4 year battle with AT&T and countless Tech appointments (both kept and not kept by AT&T) as well as me purchasing component, HDMI cables as well as even changing my Home Theater receiver and television in hopes some combination would fix the issue...

...except for an issue with the DVR "unplugged or restarting" (it wasn't Smiley Very Happy)  Shannel in Tier 1 Tech Support was able to reboot from AT&T and everything seems to be working as I thought it would when I switched to U-verse four years ago...

Thanks everyone here for your information and to SomeJoe7777 for the moral support...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

Bill

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.