That Don Guy's profile

Guru

• 

622 Messages

Monday, June 4th, 2012 4:13 PM

Component output downscales HD to 480p?

When I watch a recording of an HD program through an HDMI connection, the full HD signal gets through.

However, when I watch it through component output, it is at HD resolution for about 30 seconds, then the screen goes blank, then it reappears at 720x480.

I have had my service since December 2010; is this something (a) that happens to everybody, and (b) if so, is it something that AT&T recently implemented through, say, a software update?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

That Don Guy - This happens to some folks. The reason is the HDMI cable is controlling the signal even though you are connected component.

Notice that when you turn off the stb the blue HD light goes out. This is the state you are viewing on component.

Disconnect the HDMI at the stb. You will notice the blue light stays on all the time & the picture on component matches your aspect setting.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@That Don Guy wrote:

When I watch a recording of an HD program through an HDMI connection, the full HD signal gets through.

However, when I watch it through component output, it is at HD resolution for about 30 seconds, then the screen goes blank, then it reappears at 720x480.

I have had my service since December 2010; is this something (a) that happens to everybody, and (b) if so, is it something that AT&T recently implemented through, say, a software update?

I wouldn't put it past them, as the industry as a whole is trying to cripple and/or phase out component connections because of the difficulty of enforcing DMCP/DRM over the analog connection.

The other possibility is, with HDMI the STB can receive resolution capabilities from your TV and can adapt on the fly but with component the STB can not get that info so it might be defaulting to a lower resolution. Have you tried configuring the STB specifically for 1080 resolution?

Edit:  Does it only happen with recorded material and not live?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

Component is auto set at 480. go to menu-options-system options-aspect ratio and change to 720 or 1080. HDMI is auto set at either 720 or 1080. that should solve your issue. Post back to let us know.

Guru

• 

622 Messages

12 years ago

aviewer got it - the HDMI cable was controlling the signal.  When the TV was on, the component cables were sending a full HD signal, but the minute I turned the TV off, the blue light went off and the signal switched to 720x480.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

That Don Guy - Why are you switching between outputs & what can you do to make it work fo you?

Try changing the aspect to widescreen SD when watching component.

Try this HDMI splitter to isolate your TV from the STB. It is not used as a splitter you stil only have the one through connection. It may not work.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307119901&sr=8-4

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
That Don Guy - Why are you switching between outputs & what can you do to make it work fo you?

Try changing the aspect to widescreen SD when watching component.

Try this HDMI splitter to isolate your TV from the STB. It is not used as a splitter you stil only have the one through connection. It may not work.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-1-Out-Auto-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307119901&sr=8-4

Back when I had mine, I ran one HDTV off the HDMI and another off the component, but IIRC I had to manually configured the aspect ratio on each output.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Guru

• 

622 Messages

12 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

HDMI is connected to the TV itself.

Component is connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR box (which does not have an HDMI input), which in turn is connected to my computer to do video capture and subsequent Blu-Ray burning.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having a Blu-Ray burner if all I can get is DVD resolution.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

That Don Guy - The three things I can think of to try -

Leave the TV on.

Disconnect the HDMI from the STB when using the component.

Try various devices to fool the STB into thinking the HDMI is active. Like the one I suggested. Here is another -
http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_term=HDMI%20%2Bsplitter&ad_campaign=53983803&ad_group=2074889043&ad_network=search&ad_creative=7153161963&gclid=CKe_ir2ii6gCFUiK4AoduEbyCQ

Look through the sewell site for various devices to convert the HDMI to component or split component.
Here is another -
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-752&FTR=390-752

Could get expensive or busy with returns. Can you put the hauppage on a different STB?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

12 years ago

@That Don Guy wrote:

@aviewer wrote:

HDMI is connected to the TV itself.

Component is connected to a Hauppauge HD PVR box (which does not have an HDMI input), which in turn is connected to my computer to do video capture and subsequent Blu-Ray burning.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having a Blu-Ray burner if all I can get is DVD resolution.

Can't you just go back in when it's on component and change the output to 720p or 1080i? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Guru

• 

622 Messages

12 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:
Can't you just go back in when it's on component and change the output to 720p or 1080i?

Yes, but do I have to do it each time I connect with just component?  I tried just component (i.e. TV turned off), and was able to switch to 1080i, then I turned the capture device and the STB off, turned the TV and STB on, turned them both off, then turned the STB and capture device back on, and it was back to 720x480.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.