10-08-2013 05:11:27 PM
I am taking my iPhone 5 from Canada to US for a week. I have a pre-paid SIM card from AT&T that a friend loaned me. He bought it while on a recent trip to Vegas It has unlimited data/texts/local local calls for 30 days (approx 14 left).
I have a couple questions:
- Has anyone used and found successful/not?
- What were the barriers, if any?
- The "unlimited local" calls: Do they need to be in the state that the card was purchased (NV)? I am travelling to CA, then TX and dont really need to make any calls, but just in case.
- I heard about an App named Fongo that works like internet calling for a land line, and uses Data. Anyone used it? I am currently in Canada and only seem to be able to download a Canadian version. WIll that be different once I am in the US?
- Can I text to Canada via iMessage while in the US? Assuming that won't rack up charges, but best to ask.
Those are the only questions I can think of. There may be more, but in the meantime thank you for any input!
Solved! Go to Solution.
10-08-2013 06:26:29 PM - edited 10-08-2013 06:29:36 PM
OK,I am not a iPhone person,but I think Android are kind of the same.
As long as you put the correct APN in , everything should work.
I am not sure unlimited local are only calls in Vegas.Because most AT&T package in US local call do mean all calls in USA. (You can call from LA to New york as a local call) Not like good old Canada local call mean where your number base in.Calgary number got local call in Calgary,even you call up to Red Deer,it is a long distance in Canada.
Texts on your package should be inc. free texts to Canada.
10-09-2013 04:02:14 PM
yes adidaskid808 is right , you can use the unlimited as long as you're in the U.S with a ATT tower nearby.
Im just a little bit worried about your sim card that has an unlimited data/call/text
are you talking about the $35 monthly plan? If so the unlimited data cant be used on the Iphone. Wifi is the only option. The unlimited data for this plan is for non-smartphones only.
Yes you can send iMessages internationally providing you have the data connection. no extra charges