Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
adden96's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Monday, October 17th, 2011 11:13 PM

Orange and White GoPhone SIM Lock

Hi all,

I have the new Orange and White AT&T GoPhone that was Activated 10/2/2011 and I had a picture from my old phone (RAZR V3XX) that I wanted to MMS to my e-mail address and it said Check SIM every time I tried to get into it. My dad just got the new iPhone 4S today and I was going to use his iPhone 3GS but I read that the new SIM's have a 6 month SIM lock. What can I do to get rid of this? I'm not trying to cheat the system or anything but it's also a matter of what if my phone breaks while I'm still under those 6 months? 

I have a bunch of the older AT&T SIM's that are Blue and White with the little 3G Fireball in the corner if this helps.

Please help.. thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Okay. I gotcha, now.

Have you tried putting the "Unregistered SIM" inside the iPhone 3GS? If so, do you still get that error message? Which phone was the SIM registered to? In other words, which IMEI number was placed on the SIM during the activation process?

You can call customer service and they should be able to unlock the SIM for you. You are correct when you stated that your SIM could temporarily be locked to the original phone of activation for a period of up to 6 months. You can either dial 611 from either of your phones or 1-800-331-0500 from a landline telephone. State your problem and the CSR you will be connected to should be able to give you further help.

Hope this helps. I apologize about the misunderstanding the first time!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

@adden96 wrote:

Hi all,

I have the new Orange and White AT&T GoPhone that was Activated 10/2/2011 and I had a picture from my old phone (RAZR V3XX) that I wanted to MMS to my e-mail address and it said Check SIM every time I tried to get into it. My dad just got the new iPhone 4S today and I was going to use his iPhone 3GS but I read that the new SIM's have a 6 month SIM lock. What can I do to get rid of this? I'm not trying to cheat the system or anything but it's also a matter of what if my phone breaks while I'm still under those 6 months? 

I have a bunch of the older AT&T SIM's that are Blue and White with the little 3G Fireball in the corner if this helps.

Please help.. thanks!

Okay... I'm a little confused. You're wanting to send yourself a picture from your Razr, but every time you try to send it, you're getting an error message that says "Check SIM?"?

I also assume that you're wanting to use the newly activated SIM card in your dad's hand-me-down 3GS?

I'm sorry if I did not understand correctly. Just trying to help.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

Hi,

Well it says that about 20 seconds after it boots up. I mentioned the Razr because it's my backup phone...

I also tested this on my Sony Ericsson K750 (unlocked for AT&T) and after a few seconds it says "Unregistered SIM".

Yes, I would very much like to use my dads iPhone 3GS. 

Does that help?

The reason why I dug into all this research was because what if my phone was broken and I just would of found out then? That would of sucked.

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

12 years ago

From experience, it looks like all the new SIM cards are locked to the phones they come with (at least that was the case with my 3 LG Thrives). Calling customer service to have them unlock the SIM is very painless, though. However, it might be prudent not to say you'll be using the SIM card on the iPhone. Few lower level customer service reps would be aware of AT&T's change in policy so they might not help you if they learn you plan on using it on an iPhone.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

The sim was activated to my Pantech P7040p. My dad just set up his 4S last night so I should try but ill try calling customer care to see if they can unlock it or just go purchase a new sim. Thanks!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

@adden96 wrote:
The sim was activated to my Pantech P7040p. My dad just set up his 4S last night so I should try but ill try calling customer care to see if they can unlock it or just go purchase a new sim. Thanks!
Alright. Sounds great.

You're welcome. 🙂

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

One more question.

I've tried AT&T's GoPhone line and their Activation/Customer Support line and both are automated voices that give me no option to speak to a live person. Is there a way around this or can I do chat or e-mail with them? It's about 20 minutes to my closest AT&T store so I don't want to have to go all the way there.

Thanks

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You can get around the automated system by, from the main menu, select "More Options", then "Customer Service". Keep repeating the CS phrase and the system will eventually give up and re-route you to a live representative that will be able to help you. It's pretty simple to do, don't worry.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.