Posted May 23, 2013
10:18:12 PM
Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

Hi

I have an ATT GoPhone number for my occasional trips to the US. My account summary is as follows:

Main Account Balance

$35.68

Account Status

Active 

Account Balance Expiration Date

02/28/2014 

Cancel Date

04/29/2014 

Rate Plan

$50 Monthly Unlimited Plan 

Rate Plan Status

Expired

Rate Plan Expiration Date

05/19/2013 

My questions are:

1. By when do I have to refill my account so that I can continue with the same number and rate plan?  And with how many dollars? 

2. My next trip to the US will not be for another 6 to 8 months at least, in the meantime, do I have to keep refilling my account with 50 bucks every month/ few months? Is there a way to maintain the same number that allows me to re-filI only when required? 

My main concern is maintaining the same number. 

I have read most of the literature available on the forum/ ATT website regarding this, but wasn't able to figure out a definite answer.

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 27, 2013 7:46:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, your rate plan should be activated due to the addition of $25 on top of the remaining $35.68 already in your balance. That would be enough to cover your $50 monthly plan.

Even if you do not use the plan, $50 would still be deducted from the account. Perhaps you might want to hold off for a little while on adding more money if you are concerned about this.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

31 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 25, 2013 7:10:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Hello!

Just as a reminder, $15 refills will add 30 days to your account expiration date, $25 and $50 refills will add 90 days, and $100 refills will add one full calendar year.

The way I figure it, if I were you, I would add $100 to your account (if you're comfortable with that) to ensure that your account will not expire. The day you add $100, it will add one year to your account expiration date. I would suggest to do this on 2/27/14, the day before your account expires. You shouldn't have to worry about your account or phone number expiring using this method.

Depending on how long your stays are in the U.S., your plan and the $100 refill might work out very well. I see that you are signed up for the $50 monthly plan. If you stay two months here in the U.S., that will cover the cost of the $100, but you will still be able to keep the extended account expiration date due to the refill.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Rate plan expiration (Prepaid GoPhone)

2 of 32 (19,741 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 27, 2013 1:42:06 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hi Wild Banchi

Thanks for the reply.
Just one more thing - once I add dollars to my account (probably $25), my rate plan will once again be activated, right ? Will there be any charges related to it if there is no usage ? My trips usually last about 2 weeks at a time....

3 of 32 (19,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 27, 2013 7:46:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, your rate plan should be activated due to the addition of $25 on top of the remaining $35.68 already in your balance. That would be enough to cover your $50 monthly plan.

Even if you do not use the plan, $50 would still be deducted from the account. Perhaps you might want to hold off for a little while on adding more money if you are concerned about this.

4 of 32 (19,674 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 27, 2013 8:56:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
That clears up all my doubts. Thanks, Wild Banchi :smileyhappy:

5 of 32 (19,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 28, 2013 3:35:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome! :smileyhappy:

6 of 32 (19,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013 12:58:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

But keep an eye on it - dial 611 occasionally to check your plan!

I bought a $138.00 simple 10c a minute plan ($30 to join and $100 for a year), put it on an old phone and gave it to a friend who didn't use it for 9 months, then when she needed it, it didn't work.

611 told me it was on the $25/month program and there was only $24.78 left.

The first ATT person I talked to said "the automated system changed the plan.  There was no record of an ATT employee changing it.  Calling 611 from the phone is the only way this could have happened."

Whaaa???

Then I realized the phone had a list of EVERY call that had been made to it (10) including the ONLY 611 call - the one that I had just made!

I called back and two operators DENIED there had ever been a $25/month charge, but claimed the records are only kept 6 mo so had no idea where the money went.

So obviously there had been a glitch.  $75+ dollars down the drain.

7 of 32 (18,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2013 1:00:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Oh, and when you talke to them get their employee ID's.  Nobody knows who Alex is only moments after he's finished lying to you.

8 of 32 (18,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013 12:47:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

The monthly plan will automatically charge you monthly, that is monthly plan, isn't it?

9 of 32 (18,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013 8:28:01 AM
(0)
Scholar
wild_banchi, just a question , the lady has a 50 monthly plan rate, so if you refill a 100 on the account it will still take 50 when it renews and another 50 the next month it renews, when she comes back her accounts gonna be close, right?

10 of 32 (15,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013 7:14:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

LG_21 wrote:
wild_banchi, just a question , the lady has a 50 monthly plan rate, so if you refill a 100 on the account it will still take 50 when it renews and another 50 the next month it renews, when she comes back her accounts gonna be close, right?

Actually, no, her account would still remain active. $100 adds a year to the account expiration date. Even if all of the $100 is used up, the account is still active. There just would not be any balance remaining.

11 of 32 (15,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013 9:20:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
oh is it? sorry didnt know about that. wild_banchi just a question. If i purchased $25 last week, and today theres $1 left, then i decide to add $10 to make it $11. would i still follow the 90 day expiry of my previous refill or would i have a new expiration date? thank you

12 of 32 (15,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013 10:58:26 AM
(0)
Community Manager

LG_21 wrote:

Hi LG_21,

If the account balance get's to $0, the account will be closed in 60 days. I recommend switching the rate plan to $.10 per minute, that way it'll last 1 full year and, as long as it's refilled before the expiration date, balance will roll over. Then it can be switched back to $50 unlimited plan at any time.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 32 (15,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013 8:02:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

LG_21 wrote:
oh is it? sorry didnt know about that. wild_banchi just a question. If i purchased $25 last week, and today theres $1 left, then i decide to add $10 to make it $11. would i still follow the 90 day expiry of my previous refill or would i have a new expiration date? thank you

Yep. I see that drumn_bass elaborated a little more on your example.

As far as your own personal account, the $10 refill should add an additional 30 days on top of original 90 to your expiration date. 

14 of 32 (15,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2013 2:14:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
@ATTDmitriyCM That was what i was wondering about, if the balance gets to $0 then it would be closed in 60 days. Thats the problem of the lady above, she has $50 monthly plan. After 2 months it would take all of the $100 in her account balance, then it would start the grace period of 60 days, soon it will close. Thats just 5 months. The lady said she wont be back in the US for 6-8 months. When she will be back lo and behold her accounts closed. I was also thinking of the answer which is switching to .10c/m plan but i was not so sure then, but i think that's the best thing to do.

So for example given she changes to .10c/min plan and when its expiration date of 1 yr comes, and the $100 still remains intact. If she decides to refill for the minimum which is $10 to save the $100, then it would total $110 roll-over right? So will the expiry be good again for another full year? because it says in the at&t website the new expiration date will apply to all money in the account, (My understanding is the total amount) but i'm not so sure that is what it meant. Can you please shed light on this. Thank you

15 of 32 (15,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2013 8:31:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:33:39 AM

LG_21 wrote:
@ATTDmitriyCM That was what i was wondering about, if the balance gets to $0 then it would be closed in 60 days. Thats the problem of the lady above, she has $50 monthly plan. After 2 months it would take all of the $100 in her account balance, then it would start the grace period of 60 days, soon it will close. Thats just 5 months. The lady said she wont be back in the US for 6-8 months. When she will be back lo and behold her accounts closed. I was also thinking of the answer which is switching to .10c/m plan but i was not so sure then, but i think that's the best thing to do.

So for example given she changes to .10c/min plan and when its expiration date of 1 yr comes, and the $100 still remains intact. If she decides to refill for the minimum which is $10 to save the $100, then it would total $110 roll-over right? So will the expiry be good again for another full year? because it says in the at&t website the new expiration date will apply to all money in the account, (My understanding is the total amount) but i'm not so sure that is what it meant. Can you please shed light on this. Thank you

If she refills with only $10, she will receive the new expiration timeframe that is associated with that refill amount (it's 30 days I believe for a $10 refill).  The entire $110 account balance will roll over if she refills before the original balance expires, but she will only receive the additional time associated with the refill amount.  So at the end of the second expiration period she would have to refill again to keep the account balance alive.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
16 of 32 (15,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 14, 2013 7:47:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Great posts, very helpful to me as well... Thank you everyone so far!

- I'd love to confirm 2 points:

- Say I have put $130 on Sept 1st 2013, used up 2 months of prepaid monthly usage (at $60/month) by Nov 1st, switched to a per minute plan on Nov 1st  before going out of the country,  and kept the remaining $10  (non $0 balance) on my account:

Could you confirm that I then would be able to keep my cell number until Aug 31 2014 ?

- On my account summary there are several dates: "account balance expiration date" , " cancel date" and "rate plan expiration date": which one is associated with my phone number expiration?

many thanks

Best

LA

17 of 32 (15,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 15, 2013 7:03:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ptitelaure wrote:

Great posts, very helpful to me as well... Thank you everyone so far!

- I'd love to confirm 2 points:

- Say I have put $130 on Sept 1st 2013, used up 2 months of prepaid monthly usage (at $60/month) by Nov 1st, switched to a per minute plan on Nov 1st  before going out of the country,  and kept the remaining $10  (non $0 balance) on my account:

Could you confirm that I then would be able to keep my cell number until Aug 31 2014 ?

- On my account summary there are several dates: "account balance expiration date" , " cancel date" and "rate plan expiration date": which one is associated with my phone number expiration?

many thanks

Best

LA

I don't have access to a prepaid account summary at the moment, but it should be the "cancel date" - is that the date that is furthest out?  The "rate plan expiration date" is going to be the date associated with your current month's monthly rate plan payment, the "account balance expiration date" is the date associated with your last refill - so it may extend beyond the rate plan expiration date depending on the timing/size of your last account refill; and the "cancel date" should be 60 days beyond the account balance expiration date.

So yes, given the scenario you present, your account will remain active until 8.31.2014, assuming you made a $100 refill on 9.1.13.  And the cancel date that should be reflected on your summary would be 10.30.14 (60 days after account balance expiration).  If that is not what your summary indicates, I would contact customer service. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

18 of 32 (14,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 15, 2013 4:12:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately the cancel date shows nov 2014... although I called customer service yesterday...

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line...

thank you..

Laure

19 of 32 (14,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 15, 2013 4:27:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ptitelaure wrote:

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line..

You can, in fact, reach a live customer service representative by dialing 611. When you get to the main menu, say "customer service." Ignore all of the other automated voice prompts and keep repeating "customer service." The system will eventually give up and transfer your call to a CSR that should be able to help you with your inquiry. 

20 of 32 (14,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 16, 2013 6:03:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ptitelaure wrote:

Hi

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately the cancel date shows nov 2014... although I called customer service yesterday...

What's the best way to reach customer service btw? 611 makes it very hard to have an operator on the line...

thank you..

Laure

Hopefully a member who is currently using at&t's prepaid service can confirm, but the November date may actually be correct since you say you added $130 on 9.1.13.  If you made your refills as a $100 refill (365 day expiration period) and two $15 refills (30 day expiration period).  The $100 would take you to the end of August 2014, and I believe at&t may tack the new refill period on to the end of the existing one if you refill prior to the current period end.  (It used to be that wasn't the case, so you needed to refill right before an existing period was getting ready to expire to get the maximum benefit of the new refill period.)  If I'm correct about that, then the additional $15 refills would take you to 9.30.14, and then I would expect the account cancellation date to be 11.29.14.

Customer service should be able to confirm/clarify, and I would keep an eye on the information within your on-line account as well.  One thing that has bit me before with prepaid service is the number of days - when at&t says 30 days, they mean 30 days, not one month, which is important when the period extends over a 31 day month. :smileyhappy:

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

21 of 32 (14,874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 17, 2013 8:27:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

@hme83    As far as i know his $130 would still have an expiration date of 365 days. Your last refill expiration would not take effect if the current expiration is longer.  W/c in his case the last $15 refill good for 30 days could not beat the $100 good for 365 days. Not unless he's gonna refill days before the expiration date or much better a day before  to maximize the next expiry period.

22 of 32 (14,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 5:44:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

LG_21 wrote:

@hme83    As far as i know his $130 would still have an expiration date of 365 days. Your last refill expiration would not take effect if the current expiration is longer.  W/c in his case the last $15 refill good for 30 days could not beat the $100 good for 365 days. Not unless he's gonna refill days before the expiration date or much better a day before  to maximize the next expiry period.

Thanks for the clarification. :smileyhappy:  

That's definitely how it worked when I used at&t's prepaid service.  For some reason I was thinking at&t had changed things to allow you to stack one refill on the end of the existing period so that you don't have to wait until virtually the last minute to refill in order to maxmize the benefit from the refill.  It's been so long since I've had their prepaid service though - I may be misrecalling (or misunderstood) what I thought I saw.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

23 of 32 (14,667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 6:28:45 AM
(0)
Community Manager

ptitelaure wrote:

Hi

Thanks Doug

thank you..

Laure

Hello Laure,

Why unfortunately? You wanted to confirm that your number stays active until August 31st 2014, this confirms that it will be active until November 2014, 2 months after the date you want, right? $130 refill will be good for 1 full year, balance expiration date will be September 1st and if you don't refill at that time the number will get canceled in 60 days, November 2014.

To get in touch with a customer care rep, call 611, first say "More Options" and then "Representative", might have to repeat "Representative" couple of times, that's how I always get them on the line.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

24 of 32 (14,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 6:30:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

Unfortunately not. Then it would be bad for business :smileyhappy:

25 of 32 (14,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2014 11:27:40 AM
(0)
Voyager

Hello,

In this case, I understand if I refilled $100 on 02/28 before Account Balance Expiration Date, Main Account Balance would become $35.68+100=$135.68 and Account Balance Expiration Date would be extended to 04/28.

My questions are:

01. As soon as I refilled $100 on 2/28, would Rate Plan Status be activated and monthly plan start on 2/28, even if my next trip to the US is on 6/1?

03. This means will $100 be wasted without using monthly plan?

04. Or can I keep Main Account Balance of $135.68 until my next trip and start monthly plan from 6/1?

05. If I refill $100, $50 monthly plan will be activated continuously for two months or can I divide into two, for example from 6/1 to 30 and 9/1 to 30?

26 of 32 (9,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2014 6:13:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

goombay wrote:

Hello,

In this case, I understand if I refilled $100 on 02/28 before Account Balance Expiration Date, Main Account Balance would become $35.68+100=$135.68 and Account Balance Expiration Date would be extended to 04/28.

My questions are:

01. As soon as I refilled $100 on 2/28, would Rate Plan Status be activated and monthly plan start on 2/28, even if my next trip to the US is on 6/1?

03. This means will $100 be wasted without using monthly plan?

04. Or can I keep Main Account Balance of $135.68 until my next trip and start monthly plan from 6/1?

05. If I refill $100, $50 monthly plan will be activated continuously for two months or can I divide into two, for example from 6/1 to 30 and 9/1 to 30?

Assuming that 30 days went by out of the 90 day account expiration date from a prior refill, yes, your account expiration date would be extended to 4/28 of next year, i.e. 4/28/15.

1. It depends on the plan. If you are signed up for a monthly plan like you indicated below, your rate plan would become active and deduct $50 every month out of your balance as many times as the amount will allow. 

3. Yes, that is correct. 

4. Yes, you can do this. In fact, this is what I would recommend that you do in order to avoid forfeiting any funds or usage time. 

5. The plan would be active for two consecutive months (or however many the leftover account balance will allow). Unfortunately, the customer cannot pick the dates to divide the time. 

Hope this helps! 

27 of 32 (9,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2014 7:56:06 AM
(0)
Community Manager

"In this case, I understand if I refilled $100 on 02/28 before Account Balance Expiration Date, Main Account Balance would become $35.68+100=$135.68 and Account Balance Expiration Date would be extended to 04/28."

No, while account balance accumulates, expiration dates DO NOT stock up on top of another, if you refill with $100, 1 year expiration, your expiration date will be 1 year from 2/28, so 2/28 of 2015.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

28 of 32 (9,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2014 4:18:59 PM
(0)
Voyager

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understood that if I refill $100 on 2/28 2014 Account expiration date will be 2/28 2015 and cancel date when I loose my phone number will be 4/28 2015. 

01.  Is this correct?

02.  Does my one month for $50 plan start on 2/28 2014 automatically and end on 4/28 2014?

03.  I live out of the US and I do not use this plan from 2/28 to 4/28 2014. If my next trip to the US is 9/1 2014 for two weeks and another next trip is 2/1 2015 for two weeks, is there good way to use $100 just for both trip of 9/1 2014 and 2/1 2015 not loosing my phone number?

29 of 32 (9,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2014 5:21:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

goombay wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply.

I understood that if I refill $100 on 2/28 2014 Account expiration date will be 2/28 2015 and cancel date when I loose my phone number will be 4/28 2015. 

01.  Is this correct?

02.  Does my one month for $50 plan start on 2/28 2014 automatically and end on 4/28 2014?

03.  I live out of the US and I do not use this plan from 2/28 to 4/28 2014. If my next trip to the US is 9/1 2014 for two weeks and another next trip is 2/1 2015 for two weeks, is there good way to use $100 just for both trip of 9/1 2014 and 2/1 2015 not loosing my phone number?

1.   Yes, that is correct. There is a 60 day "grace period" that follows the account expiration date that keeps the account from expiring altogether. After 60 days, the account would be ruled inactive, and eventually cancelled. 

2.   If you added money to your account on 2/28/14, then yes, the $50 plan would take effect for the MONTH - A.K.A. 30 days. The service for that particular month would end around 3/30/14; not 4/28/14.

3.   Yes, there is a way to get the most bang for your buck per a $100 refill. The best thing to do would be to temporarily switch your rate plan from the $50 monthly plan to the $0.10 per minute pay per use plan. This way, you would avoid having to add even more money because the account would remain active, but no money would be deducted - provided that nobody excessively calls and/or texts your phone number.  When you return to the U.S., you have the option to switch back to the $50 plan whenever you like. 

Depending on if you are using a smartphone, which I presume you are based on your rate plan selection, you may not be able to take advantage of the traditional way of switching your plan by calling 611. If you are using a smartphone, you will have to call customer service and ask them to switch the plan(s) over for you.

Hope this helps! 

30 of 32 (9,104 Views)