Posted Jun 18, 2012
10:24:01 PM
View profile
Just got charged $0.20?

So I was just on my bed using my laptop when my phone vibrated. Got a pop-up saying my last transaction cost me $0.20. I didn't make any calls out, or get any incoming calls. I didn't get a text either except an AT&T Free Msg saying:

"Intl rate of $15.36/MB applies in this location, intl plans are available @ www.att.com/intlpkg or call +1 469-229-7000 ATT Free Msg"

My phone is from Alabama, but I'm in Canada right now. My mobile network is turned off, so I don't know why I just got charged for data. Anyone know why? or where I can check to see what the $0.20 was for? I've been here for about 3 weeks now, and I'm always connected via wifi, and mobile network has never been turned on. I haven't done anything differently, but I was just charged 20 cents for something...

I tried AT&T's "Contact Us" link, but it keeps telling me to log in to be able to ask them a a question, but I'm not allowed to log in because I'm on prepaid....Very frustrated. What can I do? I don't want to keep getting charged for random things I didn't use/do. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 18, 2012 11:32:49 PM
(0)
Professor

chdx2 wrote:

So I was just on my bed using my laptop when my phone vibrated. Got a pop-up saying my last transaction cost me $0.20. I didn't make any calls out, or get any incoming calls. I didn't get a text either except an AT&T Free Msg saying:

"Intl rate of $15.36/MB applies in this location, intl plans are available @ www.att.com/intlpkg or call +1 469-229-7000 ATT Free Msg"

My phone is from Alabama, but I'm in Canada right now. My mobile network is turned off, so I don't know why I just got charged for data. Anyone know why? or where I can check to see what the $0.20 was for? I've been here for about 3 weeks now, and I'm always connected via wifi, and mobile network has never been turned on. I haven't done anything differently, but I was just charged 20 cents for something...

I tried AT&T's "Contact Us" link, but it keeps telling me to log in to be able to ask them a a question, but I'm not allowed to log in because I'm on prepaid....Very frustrated. What can I do? I don't want to keep getting charged for random things I didn't use/do. 

You can check to see what the $0.20 was for by going here: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone_manageaccount.html

Accepted Solution

Just got charged $0.20?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 18, 2012 11:32:49 PM
(0)
Professor

chdx2 wrote:

You can check to see what the $0.20 was for by going here: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone_manageaccount.html

Re: Just got charged $0.20?

2 of 7 (2,045 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2012 10:27:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. If I can bother you again, what exactly is "SMS Terminating"  I googled and came to the conclusion that I got an incoming text? But I didn't get any texts besides that "Free Msg" from AT&T. Do I get charged for AT&T's ads when I'm not in the country?

3 of 7 (2,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2012 10:41:32 AM
(0)
Professor
That's the telecom facility (Canadian) where the sms was delivered just before the sms arrived at your phone. My guess is that the sms is free anywhere in the US but there's a charge if the terminal point is outside the US.

4 of 7 (1,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2012 7:04:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Because your phone is roaming in Canada,using Rogers network!!
No free SMS!! If you don't like to get charge,
Just turn off your phone if you're in Canada or Mexico,
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (1,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 9:27:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Actually though, I got another AT&T ad today. But it didn't charge me. Checked my balance, same as last time I checked. So I don't understand. I have a smartphone, as needy as I sound, I can't not have it on. I have apps on that that I need for my daily schedule. I'll call AT&T if it happens again. Thanks for all your help. 

6 of 7 (1,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2012 10:54:49 PM
(0)
Professor

chdx2 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. If I can bother you again, what exactly is "SMS Terminating"  I googled and came to the conclusion that I got an incoming text? But I didn't get any texts besides that "Free Msg" from AT&T. Do I get charged for AT&T's ads when I'm not in the country?

You're welcome.

7 of 7 (1,921 Views)