Posted Mar 4, 2013
GoPhone service on iPhone or other 4G devices

Good news! You can now use GoPhone service on your iPhone and other 4G devices!

We know you want prepaid options for the latest devices. That's why you can activate GoPhone prepaid service as long as your iPhone or other 4G device isn't under contract. You can purchase a new iPhone or other 4G device with our no-commitment pricing option.

With GoPhone for your iPhone or other 4G device, you can use the following services:

• Wi-Fi data only (including AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots)
  • Voice
  • Text Messaging
  • Picture & Video Messaging on iOS5.x and prior versions
  • Voicemail
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
3-4-2013 12:59:16 PM
(0)

Here's an article with more details: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110787

Accepted Solution

GoPhone service on iPhone or other 4G devices

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 4, 2013
(0)

Here's an article with more details: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110787

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: GoPhone service on iPhone or other 4G devices

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013
(0)

I'm not familiar with the GoPhone so would it be compatible with the MicroCell if the primary number on the account is not still on a contract?

AT&T's 3G MicroCell Guide | 3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2013
(0)

At&t have a $ 65,-- Plan for smartphone but don´t want to use them with a iPhone?

Does that make sense? 

Operators here (in Austria) would not exclude certain devices when using their network.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2013
(0)
This sounds confusing its says wifi data only. Makes no sense sinse wifi is essentially a free service. I can go to panera bread where they have att wifi and use it And im on tmobile. The real question is can you get 4G using gophone plan.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2013
(0)

I am more confusing about this: 

GoPhone doesn't support iPhone and other 4G device cellular data service, so some applications won't work or have restrictions. Visual Voicemail isn't available. We don't recommend GoPhone for Blackberry as it doesn't work properly.

I think I need to go to T-Mobile, I will get only edge but I will get cellular data service.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 6, 2013
(0)

Basically it is the same thing as before nothing has changed.  I have a nexus 4 that works on hspa+ so it doesn't apply to me but other phones which require LTE are out of luck

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 6, 2013
(0)

gaboonviper96 wrote:
The real question is can you get 4G using gophone plan.

You're right; that is the real question. I know quite a bit about prepaid GoPhone service, but I am not sure on the 4G HSPA+ service aspect or even true 4G LTE...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 6, 2013
(0)

Osttiroler wrote:

I am more confusing about this: 

GoPhone doesn't support iPhone and other 4G device cellular data service, so some applications won't work or have restrictions. Visual Voicemail isn't available. We don't recommend GoPhone for Blackberry as it doesn't work properly.

I think I need to go to T-Mobile, I will get only edge but I will get cellular data service.

I can definitely understand how this could be confusing. That statement does seem a bit contradictory to what was stated in the other link. Basically, people who want to use an iPhone or other smartphone without having to have a data plan PERIOD look into GoPhone service. 

Do you have intentions of using an iPhone or other similar device on a prepaid GoPhone plan? There is a way to get cellular data, but it involves changing the APN settings, which is forbidden to be discussed here. We can tell you what needs to be done for it to work, but unfortunately, we cannot tell you the exact step-by-step process on how to do it. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2013
(0)

Wild Banchi wrote:

gaboonviper96 wrote:
The real question is can you get 4G using gophone plan.

You're right; that is the real question. I know quite a bit about prepaid GoPhone service, but I am not sure on the 4G HSPA+ service aspect or even true 4G LTE...

LTE isn't "true 4G" either.  Nothing offered in the US right now meets the original definition of 4G or 100Mbps throughput.  LTE-Advanced is in the pipeline; that will meet the original definition of 4G.  The current definition of 4G is anything that is faster than 3G.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2013
(0)

Thanks for your answers!

I know that I need to visit NZ before I can use GoPhone data.

But I'm afraid if I charged my GoPhone account with $ 130 - AT & T shuts off my data service before the 2 months are spent.

So how he fared:

pistol44pete wrote:

so i know the iphone is "not supported" with the Go Phone plan but last month i signed up, installed the SIM card, changed the APN settings and Voila My Iphone was working perfectly fine. Refilled my plan this month, and my Data does not work any longer. called customer care and they told me the IPhone is not supported, which i understand but if it worked last month and i used my iphone, what is now the difference, i paid for the service, if i got my phone to work why does AT&T care what type of phone i  use it on. i think it's a bunch of [word filter avoidance] and now will have to change provider, i guess AT&T does not need my $65 a month. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

So , this only for postpaid customers? Can you be prepaid and purchase and iPhone and get service?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

No, iPhones are available to use with prepaid GoPhone service as well. This thread is to let people know that it's available. You can use an iPhone on a prepaid plan.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2013
(0)

:smileyvery-happy:cool! thx

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

I visited an AT&T store this morning. The rep gave me a SIM card and told me I needed to call customer service to set up my iPhone 4 on a prepaid plan.

So I called customer service and they said it can't be done. I referenced the web page listed in the first reply and she couldn't find it. She said these forums aren't monitored by AT&T so it was probably was a fake.

Has anyone successfully with AT&T's blessing put their iPhone on a prepaid plan?

Thanks for any help.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

sullystuff wrote:

I visited an AT&T store this morning. The rep gave me a SIM card and told me I needed to call customer service to set up my iPhone 4 on a prepaid plan.

So I called customer service and they said it can't be done. I referenced the web page listed in the first reply and she couldn't find it. She said these forums aren't monitored by AT&T so it was probably was a fake.

Has anyone successfully with AT&T's blessing put their iPhone on a prepaid plan?

Thanks for any help.

If you remember the rep's name and the store location, please forward that to ATTCustomerCare.  AT&T reps should not call forum posts fake, especially one started by an AT&T employee.  It's one thing to not know something; the rep should find out more information.  It's another thing to accuse other people of dishonesty to mask his own ignorance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

I've been using an iPhone 4 on my prepaid GoPhone plan for almost 9 months, now. I did not activate my SIM card with the iPhone. Instead, I activated the SIM in a different phone that was "approved", and later cut it down and switched it. Keep in mind, SIM cards are locked to the original device it was activated to for a period of up to six months. I've been using my current SIM card for almost 3.5 years. I've used this SIM in 5 different phones in that time span. I would strongly recommend doing this. I have never tried to activate an iPhone's IMEI number with a fresh SIM card.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

Do you have cellular data?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

Osttiroler wrote:

Do you have cellular data?

Nope! I don't need and/or want a data plan, which is why I went the prepaid route. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

Wild Banchi wrote:

Nope! I don't need and/or want a data plan, which is why I went the prepaid route. 

My question is: Is it really true that AT&T data service shuts off just when they realize from the traffic it is an Iphone.

Can someone give me an answer.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2013
(0)

Osttiroler wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

My question is: Is it really true that AT&T data service shuts off just when they realize from the traffic it is an Iphone.

Can someone give me an answer.

You are asking how to get around a carrier's rules on the carrier's forum.  This is not the best place to ask a question like that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2013
(0)

21stNow wrote:

You are asking how to get around a carrier's rules on the carrier's forum.  This is not the best place to ask a question like that.

AT&T offers a plan for us$ 65 included the 1 GB of data.

I would like to use this for my 2 month journey through the United States. I can not make a contract because I'm just a tourist.

But I do not want to wast us$ 130 because the data service is shut down before the 2 month are over.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2013
(0)

I've been a GoPhone subscriber since 2009, just using credit built up whilst I was home in the UK whilst here on vacation. Usually I simply swap rate plan from $2 Daily to $25 monthly add a data package and I'm set for my time here, then reverse that when I leave.

My previous iPhones worked with data ok (via an APN change - sorry I know that's taboo, but seems crazy I'd need to do that anyway) last visit in Sept I changed to a nano sim ready to use in my iPhone 5. I have tried changing APN but despite having a 4G icon my data is blocked.

I chatted online with support who suggested as I own my iPhone (brought unlocked via Apple) I'd need to change to a month by month plan for data to work.

I have visited 3 AT&T stores all of them said even though it was a month by month thing it was still a contract and they credit checked me. But as I'm not a US Citizen I don't have a social security no. I do have a US bank account and my GoPhone account is registered to A US address.

So they did a credit check entering a fake Social Security number and because my UK Driving Licence number was too long/different they only entered part of it. It came back wanting me to pay a $500 deposit hold for 2 years.

in one store the manager said try Virgin Mobile and in another I was referred to TMobile.

I don't want to leave AT&T I have had no issues in my 4yrs with you till now, but I went to T-Mobile and within 10mins had a working month by month SIM for $60 up front.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
(0)
Hi-I wanted to respond to let you know that they absolutely will not let you get 4G or 4G LTE on any prepaid device and or plan. I went round and round and argued with the store manager here in Cincinnati about this asking them why if I paid $65 for their smartphone plan with 1GB of data, that I couldn't get 4G service on my Blackberry. They wouldn't give me a straight answer, but I will because I know someone on the "inside". The sim card for all go phones has a chip in it that will not allow you to receive any 4G/4G LTE service, even if the phone is a 4G/4G LTE device. The most you can get is 3G service. It's absolutely ridiculous and is cheap on AT&T's part.. This is so they can force you to be in a contract, to pay full price for a phone and their high postpaid prices (over $65) just to get 4G/4G LTE service. It's a rip-off. I've tried this with my wife's phone too.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013
(0)
Until today? http://goo.gl/OEL4j

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013
(0)
iPhone I now officially supported by GoPhone. They have 3 price plans to choose from, 2 of which include data and the third has an available add-on data package.
My iPhone 4S works perfectly, but slowly on this new plan. My average data rate is ~2mbps, which isn't close to 4G and is even on the slow end of 3G speeds.
However, it is better than EDGE data and certainly better than the ZERO data that I've had on my GoiPhone for the past 3 years. http://bit.ly/1e0Wgb6

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013
(0)
I truly doubt that I will stick with AT&T with the purchase of my next iPhone. They are not being at all
competitive with their pre-paid options. We are paying with the same US dollars as post-paid subscribers, but without ANY of the respect they receive from this corporation.
If AT&T makes significant changes to the services/speeds offered to pre-paid customers I may consider staying. But, I will most likely go to a more respectful carrier, like Virgin Mobile, who doesn't treat their pre-paid subscribers with disdain.