Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
jamileh's profile
Former Community Manager

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

Monday, March 4th, 2013 8:58 PM

GoPhone service on iPhone or other 4G devices

Good news! You can now use GoPhone service on your iPhone and other 4G devices!

We know you want prepaid options for the latest devices. That's why you can activate GoPhone prepaid service as long as your iPhone or other 4G device isn't under contract. You can purchase a new iPhone or other 4G device with our no-commitment pricing option.

With GoPhone for your iPhone or other 4G device, you can use the following services:

• Wi-Fi data only (including AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots)
  • Voice
  • Text Messaging
  • Picture & Video Messaging on iOS5.x and prior versions
  • Voicemail
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Here's an article with more details: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110787

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm not familiar with the GoPhone so would it be compatible with the MicroCell if the primary number on the account is not still on a contract?

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

At&t have a $ 65,-- Plan for smartphone but don´t want to use them with a iPhone?

Does that make sense? 

Operators here (in Austria) would not exclude certain devices when using their network.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This sounds confusing its says wifi data only. Makes no sense sinse wifi is essentially a free service. I can go to panera bread where they have att wifi and use it And im on tmobile. The real question is can you get 4G using gophone plan.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

I am more confusing about this: 

GoPhone doesn't support iPhone and other 4G device cellular data service, so some applications won't work or have restrictions. Visual Voicemail isn't available. We don't recommend GoPhone for Blackberry as it doesn't work properly.

I think I need to go to T-Mobile, I will get only edge but I will get cellular data service.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Basically it is the same thing as before nothing has changed.  I have a nexus 4 that works on hspa+ so it doesn't apply to me but other phones which require LTE are out of luck

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@gaboonviper96 wrote:
The real question is can you get 4G using gophone plan.

You're right; that is the real question. I know quite a bit about prepaid GoPhone service, but I am not sure on the 4G HSPA+ service aspect or even true 4G LTE...

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Osttiroler wrote:

I am more confusing about this: 

GoPhone doesn't support iPhone and other 4G device cellular data service, so some applications won't work or have restrictions. Visual Voicemail isn't available. We don't recommend GoPhone for Blackberry as it doesn't work properly.

I think I need to go to T-Mobile, I will get only edge but I will get cellular data service.

I can definitely understand how this could be confusing. That statement does seem a bit contradictory to what was stated in the other link. Basically, people who want to use an iPhone or other smartphone without having to have a data plan PERIOD look into GoPhone service. 

Do you have intentions of using an iPhone or other similar device on a prepaid GoPhone plan? There is a way to get cellular data, but it involves changing the APN settings, which is forbidden to be discussed here. We can tell you what needs to be done for it to work, but unfortunately, we cannot tell you the exact step-by-step process on how to do it. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@gaboonviper96 wrote:
The real question is can you get 4G using gophone plan.

You're right; that is the real question. I know quite a bit about prepaid GoPhone service, but I am not sure on the 4G HSPA+ service aspect or even true 4G LTE...

LTE isn't "true 4G" either.  Nothing offered in the US right now meets the original definition of 4G or 100Mbps throughput.  LTE-Advanced is in the pipeline; that will meet the original definition of 4G.  The current definition of 4G is anything that is faster than 3G.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your answers!

I know that I need to visit NZ before I can use GoPhone data.

But I'm afraid if I charged my GoPhone account with $ 130 - AT & T shuts off my data service before the 2 months are spent.

So how he fared:

pistol44pete wrote:

so i know the iphone is "not supported" with the Go Phone plan but last month i signed up, installed the SIM card, changed the APN settings and Voila My Iphone was working perfectly fine. Refilled my plan this month, and my Data does not work any longer. called customer care and they told me the IPhone is not supported, which i understand but if it worked last month and i used my iphone, what is now the difference, i paid for the service, if i got my phone to work why does AT&T care what type of phone i  use it on. i think it's a bunch of [word filter avoidance] and now will have to change provider, i guess AT&T does not need my $65 a month. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.