Posted Jun 26, 2013
GoPhone Smartphone and Tethering

Hello all,

I recently moved my LG Optimus G Pro over to a prepaid plan. The only thing missing seems to be tethering. I was told by customer support, which is in India it sounds like, that there is no tethering. I do not get this. We pay for the 2 gb of data, we should be able to use it how we want.

Tell me it aint so!

Steve

GoPhone Smartphone and Tethering

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)
While I completely agree with you that not allowing tethering on limited data plans makes no sense whatsoever that's AT&T's policy. Circumvent at your own risk.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: GoPhone Smartphone and Tethering

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)

dmapr wrote:
While I completely agree with you that not allowing tethering on limited data plans makes no sense whatsoever that's AT&T's policy. Circumvent at your own risk.

Another inflexibility of AT&T. Surely makes no sense to me. But hey, it's AT&T and they do care about profit more than customer satisfaction:smileysad:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)

Does anyone have documentation that states tethering is not supported? I saw nothing in the T's and C's.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)

Steve,

on

https://www.paygonline.com/websc/ViewTerms.do, under Unlimited Voice & Data Services:

"Unreasonable use includes, but is not limited to tethering the phone to another phone, computer, modem or other equipment for the purpose of using data services."

Given that 2Gb a month is not unlimited, at least by any kind of reasonable definition, my interpretation of the At&T rules are that thetering is not banned as I see no mention of "tethering" when limited data plans are described.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)
I haven't checked in a while, but I remember that a friend of mine with a Galaxy Skyrocket but without tethering plan has tried to turn on the Wi-Fi tethering. The phone churned for a bit, then came back and said "you do not have tethering enabled blah-blah-blah".

So yes, with the quoted T&C it seems that legally tethering is within the OP's rights. Practically no help from AT&T will be forthcoming and (depending on the phone and method used) it may or may not work.

Moreover, if AT&T detects tethering they may just disable data access altogether regardless of what the T&C says and the OP will be stuck explaining that no rules have been broken.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)

Here's a paragraph from the Plan Terms for GoPhones:

"See att.com/dataGO for full terms and conditions relating to the use of data and messaging
services, including prohibited uses of the services. Your use of data service,
Instant Messaging or Text /Picture/Video Messaging acknowledges your agreement
to those terms."

According to the T&C, a tethering plan is required for tethering. However, I don't see a GoPhone tethering plan mentioned anywhere in the GoPhone Plans. So the question now is whether there is a tethering plan for GoPhones. I wish AT&T would clarify this.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2013
(0)

Does anyone have an email address that you can use to ask about this? I want to get some clarification but it seems AT&T does not like providing an email for customers to chime in on.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2013
(0)

I guess it would be interesting to know whether thethering can be detected if you use a non AT&T phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2013
(0)
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is tethering? Could it be hooking your phone up to a laptop or some other device and streaming while using the phone's data plan?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2013
(0)
WB, tethering is any application where you use your phone for internet access. Could be a laptop, tablet, another phone -- you name it. As long as there's a way for the other device to use your phone to provide internet access, it's tethering.

The important thing about tethering is that it is the other device consuming the data. It is perfectly fine to be streaming audio/video from the phone to a an AV system as long as you're streaming the actual audio/video data (for example over an HDMI cable) -- that isn't tethering. But if you have an internet enabled TV and use the TV's internet functionality through the phone, that's tethering.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2013
(0)
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the explanation, dmapr. :smileytongue:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 27, 2013
(0)

Glad to help :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013
(0)

There is one solution how to tether - just root your android phone or use non ATT phone. restriction is written in ATT phones software and using unbranded software allows to tether. I came from Europe and when i had to change out my european phone i discovered tethering restriction with ATT phone. It was really reaaly bad surprise, but i think it is the way capitalism works. As european i dont understand the logic why tethering should be restricted with limited data plans - i pay for certain amount and how i use it is not their business`? Rooting is easy fix for android but the windows phone and iphone users have to struggle. I think it is not fair policy and those who have non ATT phones are allowed to tether - seems to be discriminating for me, but who am i - just another dumb european! Amazing ´merica!