Posted Feb 4, 2012
4G on prepaid?

I'm currently using 3G on a prepaid SIM account. If I buy an "unlocked" 4G phone can i put the SIM in and get 4G data when i buy packages in my pay as you go account?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
5-24-2013 7:46:22 PM
(0)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

4G on prepaid?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 9, 2012
(0)
No. You will not be able to take advantage of "4G" or 4G LTE for prepaid service. I'm not even sure if those types of phones can fully operate on the new technology on a GoPhone plan.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 4G on prepaid?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
(0)

Hi-I wanted to respond to let you know that they absolutely will not let you get 4G or 4G LTE on any prepaid device and or plan. I went round and round and argued with the store manager here in Cincinnati about this asking them why if I paid $65 for their smartphone plan with 1GB of data, that I couldn't get 4G service on my Blackberry. They wouldn't give me a straight answer, but I will because I know someone on the "inside". The sim card for all go phones has a chip in it that will not allow you to receive any 4G/4G LTE service, even if the phone is a 4G/4G LTE device. The most you can get is 3G service. It's absolutely ridiculous and is cheap on AT&T's part.. This is so they can force you to be in a contract, to pay full price for a phone and their high postpaid prices (over $65) just to get 4G/4G LTE service. It's a rip-off. I've tried this with my wife's phone too.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013
(0)
This was from yesterday: http://goo.gl/OEL4j

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 24, 2013
(0)

I also just heard about this...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/24/atts-gophone-prepaid-service-gets-access-to-4g-lte-and-hspa/

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 25, 2013
(0)

Dcookie wrote:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/24/atts-gophone-prepaid-service-gets-access-to-4g-lte-and-hspa/

Thanks for posting this, Dcookie! Wow, I had no idea that AT&T had finally decided to change their rules and restrictions as far as allowing 4G LTE devices to take advantage of 4G on prepaid plans. This is definitely a step in the right direction. :smileyhappy:

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a 4G LTE smartphone! :smileylol:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 26, 2013
(0)

Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Thanks for posting this, Dcookie! Wow, I had no idea that AT&T had finally decided to change their rules and restrictions as far as allowing 4G LTE devices to take advantage of 4G on prepaid plans. This is definitely a step in the right direction. :smileyhappy:

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a 4G LTE smartphone! :smileylol:

No problem, WB...a little bird told me. :smileywink: Besides, why should prepaid plans be any different than postpaid??? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 26, 2013
(0)
Exactly! Improving the ability for GoPhone users to reach customer service should be next on AT&T's agenda. :smileytongue:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 26, 2013
(0)

Wild Banchi wrote:
Exactly! Improving the ability for GoPhone users to reach customer service should be next on AT&T's agenda. :smileytongue:

I agree to that!!

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2013
(0)

Wild Banchi wrote:

800-331-0500 listen to the recording, enter the number you are calling about (if requested requested).  Diligently press zero until the auto-attendant gives up - 'she' will eventually transfer you to a human (many, many zeros - but it works - used it just last night).

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2013
(0)

nigebj wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

800-331-0500 listen to the recording, enter the number you are calling about (if requested requested).  Diligently press zero until the auto-attendant gives up - 'she' will eventually transfer you to a human (many, many zeros - but it works - used it just last night).

Yes, I'm aware. I actually suggest the same advice to people what seems like several times a week. :smileytongue:

It should be easier for prepaid customers to contact customer service, though. A direct phone number without having to press '0' or repeat "customer service" numerous times would be great! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2013
(0)
Yes it works great!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2013
(0)

I had a call to Customer Service last month. I waded through and discovered that the "More Options" menu is the one to respond to with "customer service". I recall that the "More Options" menu is one level below the main menu. I said "customer service" once and got connected to an AT&T rep. I must say that the service was excellent.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2013
(0)

Osttiroler wrote:
Yes it works great!

You're getting 4G LTE data on your prepaid iPhone? :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2013
(0)
I use the iPhone 4S with 3G

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 7, 2013
(0)
I thought I remembered your mentioning using a 4S. 4S models are able to support "4G" HSPA+ speeds, which is really just 3G with enhanced back haul. HSPA+ shows up as 4G on your service bars indicator, white 4G LTE shows up as LTE.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 7, 2013
(0)

Yes it´s shows 4G - but is it 3G