Posted Apr 16, 2014
Next upgrade and 2nd line
Hi,
I am eligible for an upgrade with Next. I have my line and a 2nd line using the 1400 Family plan. I am grandfathered with unlimited data and A-list. If I look at my bill, my primary line charges are about $118. The 2nd line charges bring the total to about $158.

If I place a Next order with the 18 month installments, it shows my charges as $118. My question is - if I complete this order for my line, what happens to the 2nd line? Does it stay as is? Is it still on the Family plan with me? I do also have the option to keep existing plan and services.

And if the 2nd line also upgraded to Next, would it be an additional $118 or would it stay about the same?

Next upgrade and 2nd line

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2014
(0)
ACE - Professor

natordog wrote:
Hi,
I am eligible for an upgrade with Next. I have my line and a 2nd line using the 1400 Family plan. I am grandfathered with unlimited data and A-list. If I look at my bill, my primary line charges are about $118. The 2nd line charges bring the total to about $158.

If I place a Next order with the 18 month installments, it shows my charges as $118. My question is - if I complete this order for my line, what happens to the 2nd line? Does it stay as is? Is it still on the Family plan with me? I do also have the option to keep existing plan and services.

And if the 2nd line also upgraded to Next, would it be an additional $118 or would it stay about the same?

There are a lot of variables here, but basically, here is a summary of your options:

1. Keep your family plan and upgrade your phone with the AT&T NEXT program.  This would not change your phone bill for your service, but it would add the cost of the phone to your monthly bill as an equipment charge.  To determin how much it will go up, divide the off-contract purchase price of the phone by 18 to get your approximate monthly payment.  This is probably your most expensive option because you are paying full price for the phone and not getting the discounts for an off-contract phone on your service.
  2. You can switch both phones to a Mobile Share Value Plan, which gives you unlimited voice and text service, and then shared data.  Depending upon how much data you get, your bill will vary.  Assuming both of your existing phones were already under contract prior to 01 Feb, 2014, this would cost you about $130 (plus taxes & fees) for a 10GB shared plan (with a 22% FAN discount this comes to about $118/month because that is what I have).  Now, if you purchase a new Phone under NEXT, you just do the math for the monthly phone equipment cost and add that to the Mobile Share cost and you get your monthly bill.  The caveat with this one is that when that second line want to get a new phone, they will either need to use NEXT or pay full price for their new phone, otherwise your bill will go up about $25/month for having a contract subsidized phone on the account.
  3. You could move your phone to it's own mobile share plan, and keep the old family plan for the second phone, but this one might end up costing you as much as (if not more than) the first option above.  I wouldn't suggest this option unless you have no choice.

For your best "bang" you would want to get as many of your phones as possible on a Mobile Share plan. This is because they all get unlimited voice & text service, plus the pricing gets much better for you once you hit the 10GB data bucket.  The cost of off-contract smart phones on the account drops from $25/month to $15/month, and the data cost drops per GB purchased too.  It can be cheaper to put 3 or 4 smartphones on a 10GB plan than to put them on a 6GB plan just because of the extra discounts you get at the higher data levels.  The thing to remember though is that you lose those discounts when you get a new contract subsidized phone, so you will need to be prepared to pay $300-900 for a new smart phone (depending upon what model and capacity you purchase).  You can spread that cost out over 18 or 26 months using NEXT, but then that just makes your monthly bill look $25-75 higher too because you are paying for your new phone over time.  The thing to remember here is that even though you are paying significantly more for your phone, you are still saving money over what you would be paying if you got a 2 year contract subsidized phone (by as much as $150 over the 2 years for each contract/phone).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Next upgrade and 2nd line