Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Roh1332's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 19th, 2013 8:05 PM

Grandfathering Data

I'm thinking about getting the new 5S. It will be my third iPhone (had the 3G and now 4S). I have unlimited data still. Does anyone know if I will continue to keep it if I upgrade? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

11 years ago

I can confirm that if you have the unlimited plan on your current iPhone, you continue getting it with a new iPhone.

The text below comes from AT&T Wireless as part of the "order has shipped" email for a replacement of an iPhone 3GS.  Our order comes through AT&T Premier, but I can't imagine yours would be different.  This was an online order.

AT&T Premier Order Shipment Notification

JOHN SMITH  XXX-555-XXXX Upgrade
Phone/Device:Apple iPhone 5s (16GB Silver)
Accessories: 
Data Plan:Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am looking at upgrading to the iPhone 5S from my iPhone 4S. I am concerned about retaining my grandfathered "Unlimited Data" package though. 

If I order the 5S tonight online at either the Apple Store or the AT&T Store will I be able to select the "Unlimited 4G LTE" data plan when ordering tonight? I just really don't want to accidentally lose my unlimited data package that I was grandfathered in with. Do you guys remember how you went about ordering your iPhone 5 online when it cameout ensuring you kept your unlimited data package?

Any insight you guys could provide would be helpful.

Thanks.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

Until the phone becomes available, nobody knows for sure. We haven't heard otherwise, but there's always the possibility that AT&T may choose to end the grandfathered plan with the 5s.

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

11 years ago

I have been grandfathered "Unlimited usage" for 6 years.  Just ordered my 4th iPhone.

They call it "Unlimited", but then you get the dreaded message:

"ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is near 3GB this month.  Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you will still be able to email & surf the web."

I want more.  I want to make my phone a WiFi hot spot from my phone to my laptop and also the kids iPods on the road.  I want to listen to Spotify 20+ hours a week.  I can't do that with the current "Unlimited Plan" (no hot spot support -- unless jailbroken).

I spoke with an AT&T representative.  I can save money with a 6GB and not worry about looking each week to see if I an near the 3G slow-down point.  

For two phones "AT&T Mobile Share with Unlimited Talk & Text":

• 4GB $70 + $40 (phone 1) + $40 (phone 2) = $150.  (I pay $160 now for "unlimited" with 700 minutes and unlimited texting.
  • 6GB $90 + $35 (phone 1) + $35 (phone 2) = $160.

If I, or my kids get an ipad/ipad mini with AT&T its only $10 to add them.

All share the 4GB and 6GB.  

IMHO this seems a better way to go, assuming you use 3GB or more of data.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@gbshuler1 wrote:

I have been grandfathered "Unlimited usage" for 6 years.  Just ordered my 4th iPhone.

They call it "Unlimited", but then you get the dreaded message:

"ATT Free Msg: Your data usage is near 3GB this month.  Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you will still be able to email & surf the web."

I want more.  I want to make my phone a WiFi hot spot from my phone to my laptop and also the kids iPods on the road.  I want to listen to Spotify 20+ hours a week.  I can't do that with the current "Unlimited Plan" (no hot spot support -- unless jailbroken).

I spoke with an AT&T representative.  I can save money with a 6GB and not worry about looking each week to see if I an near the 3G slow-down point.  

For two phones "AT&T Mobile Share with Unlimited Talk & Text":

• 4GB $70 + $40 (phone 1) + $40 (phone 2) = $150.  (I pay $160 now for "unlimited" with 700 minutes and unlimited texting.
  • 6GB $90 + $35 (phone 1) + $35 (phone 2) = $160.

If I, or my kids get an ipad/ipad mini with AT&T its only $10 to add them.

All share the 4GB and 6GB.  

IMHO this seems a better way to go, assuming you use 3GB or more of data.

the difference is, with the discontinued plan you where throttled when you exceeded the set limit, with this you pay for overages but are not throttled, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.