For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
fawn428's profile

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

Saturday, September 20th, 2014 12:59 PM

Grandfathered Data plan - borrowed upgrade?

I have a line with an iPhone 5c on my old family plan with 5 lines which is not eligible for upgrade with the grandfathered unlimited data.   I would like to take an upgrade from an eligible line (dumb phone without data) and upgrade the iPhone5c.  Is that possible?  Keep the unlimited data plan, while take an upgrade from another line that doesnt need data?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, it is possible but you should go to a corporate store to get this done. If you try to do this online, you would probably end up going to a corporate store anyway to get the phones swapped and data plans back to what they were.

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

10 years ago

Well.  That worked.  2 hours of work to get it done.   I cannot believe how pushy the sales gentleman was trying to get us off the old family plan and rolled into the family share plans.  Started out by saying... I should probably just buy online if I wouldn't let him switch our plans.   I'm not sure the commission structure for rolling old plans over, but it must be huge. 

When he finally agreed to order the phone we wanted on the plan we wanted, he really messed up the process. Had to cancel the order on his first attempt and mistakelnly removed the unlimited data, then had chat with someone to get it back.  He finally went to lunch in the middle of this and handed us off to a manager..who started the whole process over.

What a mess, but it's finally ordered....actually it shows 2 phones on order, but I hope one will be cancelled eventually...that's what they said.

We shall see.   It was a very painful trip, but nonetheless, I think we're headed in the right direction.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.