Posted Oct 11, 2013
3:14:44 PM
Customer service review

If I could rate AT&T's customer service with a zero I would. I am writing to let you know that I have been an AT&T customer ever since the first iPhone was released and also had AT&T U-verse when it was available in my area. I also signed up to be notified when it becomes available to my current home, but after today I do not feel like a valued customer and will be discontinuing my service to switch to a company that cares about their customers. I had called in regards to upgrading my phone as it has run out of storage capacity without it costing me an arm and a leg. The representative  I was unfortunate enough to be connected with proceeded to give me attitude about upgrading to a new iPhone and wanted to argue with me on why I should get the Samsung Galaxy. I did not call for advice on getting a new phone, I simply wanted to up my storage, but their solution to this was to add a line to my existing phone. I am not looking to have 3 phones as I have a personal and a work phone already. I was looking to have my contract waived given the circumstance and because I have been nothing but a loyal customer, and sign a new one with an iPhone that has enough storage to take photos and update my software as needed. The sales rep continued to tell me that I was the first person who has complained about needing a new phone due to storage capacity and proceeded to talk to me like I was some in a degrading manner. If this was true tell me why phone companies are spending all this money on advertising upgrading your phone when you need it? After talking in circles about my needs I was finding no resolution to this issue and wasted 30 minutes of my life talking with someone who should not be working in customer service. I decided after 30 minutes that I would bring my business elsewhere and the last thing he said to me was okay then you will be charged $200 to terminate your contract. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND AT&T TO ANYONE AFTER TODAY.

Customer service review

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2013 8:25:02 AM
(0)
Professor
Is the issue that they tried to talk you into getting a Galaxy, or that they wouldn't make a special exception to your contract and give you a discount upgrade when you weren't eligible? If it's the latter, AT&T generally doesn't make exceptions to their contract terms just because someone believes they have a compelling reason that they deserve an exception. I don't believe the other big phone companies would grant an exception to the contract terms under the conditions described either. Ensuring one buys a phone with enough storage to meet their needs seems like a personal responsibility.

Re: Customer service review

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2013 9:03:59 AM
(0)
Employee

dwill05 wrote:
Is the issue that they tried to talk you into getting a Galaxy, or that they wouldn't make a special exception to your contract and give you a discount upgrade when you weren't eligible? If it's the latter, AT&T generally doesn't make exceptions to their contract terms just because someone believes they have a compelling reason that they deserve an exception. I don't believe the other big phone companies would grant an exception to the contract terms under the conditions described either. Ensuring one buys a phone with enough storage to meet their needs seems like a personal responsibility.

Honestly, I'll never understand why people expect special treatment because they are a "loyal customer", yet as soon as they don't get that special treatment, they are more than ready to jump ship. I can understand the OP's frustration over their CS experience, I've had more than my sure of similar experiences with my satellite provider. After all, you're dealing with another person on the other end and the plain simple fact is not everyone is great at their job. It is commonly referred to as CS roulette. When I get someone like that, I end the conversation as quickly as possible and try again. However, sometimes that special treatment you are trying to get just isn't going to happen no matter who you talk to. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Customer service review