Mentor

• 

52 Messages

Saturday, June 13th, 2009 5:32 AM

Closed

restart, tether, restart, tether, restart, tether 8925 HTC

8925 HTC

WM 6.1

I can tether my phone to my computer just fine.....BUT.....when im done surfing the web i unhook my usb cable from the phone and the next time i try to tether i have to restart my computer just to tether again........why? i once seen a program that said its because of "something running on your computer stopping you from being able to tether" (i cant find the program anymore) this program was supposed to detect the conflicting issue and stop the running process.......i once tried pushing ctrl+alt+del and stopped some running processes and accidentally got it to tether without restarting but i cant seen to do it again.................surely im not the only person with this problem esp if there is a program designed for this issue........... SOMEBODY HELP ME THIS IS VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING............restart, tether, restart, tether, restart, tether ................

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Consider looking at WMWifirouter.  http://wmwifirouter.com/  It is a great tethering app that has worked great for me.  You will no longer need the USB cable. and can tether while syncing if you desire.

Guru

• 

698 Messages

15 years ago

What are your settings? Of course, I'm sure that you have a tethering plan. The network settings will be different for that.

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

15 years ago

i do not have a tethering plan but tethering is not my problem its that my computer decides not to recognize my phone sometimes........like if the port is already taken so it cant see it or something..............

but i do like that wm wifi router thing but i don not have the funds to do that.............can you email me the program? {personal content removed, please use private messages instead} ......

there is still the solution of the program i spoke of earlier if i could just find it.............

when i formatted my xp computer i didnt have this problem ......... but after sometime of adding things on the computer now i do

Message Edited by IanSee on 06-13-2009 04:10:13 PM

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

15 years ago

after searching searching and searching i  finally found a free version of wmwifirouter...........it wasnt at the home site ...............i found it at softpedia.........thanks this worked great

Guru

• 

778 Messages

15 years ago

You also might try adding tethering to your plan if you are going to use your device that way.  Not only is it the "right" thing to do, if AT&T catches up to you, you may be in for some VERY hefty ($$$) charges on your bill.  You may get away with it for a while, but not forever....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

I pay for the plan I have the same problem, and with the pitiful service I have in my area, I am always losing service and then have to reboot to tether again. I run XP, and I have issues with XP not recognizing peripherals, And requiring reboots to connect. Will the software mentioned previously help with this issue?

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

14 years ago

having wifi on makes your phone hotter than usual due to max battery usage....i only use it when i have it plugged into a power source (other than a computer), and when i have a fan or other cooling device i can put on the phone to keep it from overheating....

**Mod Note** Please be aware that using your device as a wireless router without an eligible tethering plan violates the Wireless Data Plan Service Terms and Conditions. Plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed. Should the OP need additional assistance please feel free to open up a new thread. Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.