Troubleshoot your device issues
masahitow's profile

Voyager

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 9th, 2013 7:17 AM

Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Hi,

I'm thinkin got buy a unlocked phone, but I do not want to be charged for a data plan. I heard that there was a list of the list of unlocked phones that do not require a data plan. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

11 years ago

There's no such list. A rough rule of thumb is that any iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Windows-based phone will require a data plan and other phones won't.

Scholar

• 

154 Messages

11 years ago

There is no list.  I ahve looked around online and I have found some web sites that sell unlocked phones.  I will send you a private message with the link to one of those sites.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

There is no list.  I ahve looked around online and I have found some web sites that sell unlocked phones.  I will send you a private message with the link to one of those sites.

what will it matter? A smartphone, locked or unlocked requires a data plan, if you don;t add one and it is detected it will be added - and there is nothing that can be done. the carrier is wll within their rights to add the required feature

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

what will it matter? A smartphone, locked or unlocked requires a data plan, if you don;t add one and it is detected it will be added - and there is nothing that can be done. the carrier is wll within their rights to add the required feature

My smartphone is an unlocked one...and wingrider01 is correct...locked or unlocked..ATT detects that you are using one, they will add a data plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

As far as I can tell nobody was asking about smartphones. The OP specifically asked about phones that don't require a data plan. Why add confusion? There are plenty of unlocked phones out there that don't require a data plan, such as Nokia Asha line — I'm sure there are others as well.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

If I buy a phone that requires a data plan from Amazon, that AT&T is not offering any more or unlocked from another carrier, will AT&T charge me for a data plan?

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@joedw00 wrote:

If I buy a phone that requires a data plan from Amazon, that AT&T is not offering any more or unlocked from another carrier, will AT&T charge me for a data plan?

Yes, they will. ATT will detect that it is a smartphone and they will add an appropriate data plan. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Well that S--ks

Thank for the quick reply.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@joedw00 wrote:

Well that S--ks

Thank for the quick reply.

No problem...and you're welcome. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

what about nokia n8, n9, or nokia 808 pureview ?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.