Posted Feb 21, 2013
8:33:39 PM
Swapping phones

My sister lost her cell phone that is on a 2yr contract w/ AT&T...they are telling her she needs to buy a brand new phone, which she can't afford. Can she purchase a refurbished phone for much less money and swap it with her old cell phone? Her Insurance does not cover lost/stolen phones. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 22, 2013 2:14:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Or she could use an old phone that she has as a backup.  If one of her friends/family/coworkers has an AT&T compatible phone that she can use until she is upgrade eligible, she can do that, as well.

If she chooses to purchase a new phone, she can purchase anything from the cheapest GoPhone to a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store.  She has many choices; she just has to determine what choice best suits her needs.

If she buys a basic phone and had any grandfathered data plans on her line, she will lose those and won't be able to get them back, so that is something to consider.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Swapping phones

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013 4:14:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:15:17 AM

Sure she can...but  you may have to give CC a call to give them the correct IMEI number. What type of phone did she lose and which is she thinking of buying, may I ask?? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Swapping phones

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (5,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013 1:30:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

As of now, no clue :smileysurprised:. She had a Smart Phone but it's been since the fall it got lost in a pile of leaves. At & T keep telling her she has to purchase brand new

3 of 8 (4,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013 1:32:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Feb 22, 2013 at 1:42:44 PM

lukeybird wrote:

As of now, no clue :smileysurprised:. She had a Smart Phone but it's been since the fall it got lost in a pile of leaves. At & T keep telling her she has to purchase brand new

She can certainly purchase a refurbished phone. Is it a rep at a brick and mortar ATT store that keeps telling her she has to purchase a brand new phone??? I don't see why they would tell her that. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (4,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 22, 2013 2:14:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Or she could use an old phone that she has as a backup.  If one of her friends/family/coworkers has an AT&T compatible phone that she can use until she is upgrade eligible, she can do that, as well.

If she chooses to purchase a new phone, she can purchase anything from the cheapest GoPhone to a Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store.  She has many choices; she just has to determine what choice best suits her needs.

If she buys a basic phone and had any grandfathered data plans on her line, she will lose those and won't be able to get them back, so that is something to consider.

5 of 8 (4,948 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013 2:58:42 PM
(0)
Expert

Or get  att gophone and put the sim in it, helped a friend do that when she dropped her current one in a porta potty - that was not pretty. they are avialable from a basic flip phone to a low end android smartphone

6 of 8 (4,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2013 7:10:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

No, it's when she calls the number on her bill. She's not tech savy, neither am I but I know a LITTLE more than she does. So, was going to take her to the brick & mortar place and get it all set. Figured I find out what I could before we went...and you've helped A LOT!!! I have Sprint and something similar happened to me but had no trouble, although I dislike them (ssshh :smileywink:)

7 of 8 (4,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2013 10:49:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Good luck... don't let them talk her into a brand new phone. Let us know how you make out. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

8 of 8 (4,855 Views)