For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
bonzybuddy's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 24th, 2014 9:30 PM

Request for bootloader unlocked

ATT,

I HAVE PAID ETF AND I NEED MY PHONE BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED. I HAVE RIGHT TO DO SO SINCE I AM NOT UNDER CONTRACT NOW. I AM USING SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 I337. PLEASE LET ME KNO WHOM TO CONTACT.

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Hello bonzybuddy,

ETF's and out of contract unlocks only apply to carrier locks. Unlocking the bootloader would require an over-the-air update from Samsung, and would also void any warranties. The truth is, AT&T is not required to ever unlock the boot-loader if they don't want to.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have purchased phone from AT&T and it was bootloader locked. Since I am not in contract with AT&T anymore and have paid all the fees they need to free up my device. I am asking a written document from AT&T saying that Samsung should unlock my bootloader. Otherwise I am planning to go to consumer complains. 

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T's unlock policies only include carrier locks. Carrier locks include SIM and Network locks. Bootloaders are completely different. Since they allow for the modification of operating systems, carrier branded devices will have them locked. Carrier branded devices are intended for general consumer use, and most consumers don't even have a clue what a bootloader is, much less a use for an unlocked bootloader. It becomes easier to brick your device, and the warranty would be voided, as such it's best practice to keep the bootloader locked.

Samsung's Response: "We would like to inform you that the devices released through carriers are bootloader locked version’s. However, devices with unlocked bootloader’s are available through Verizon and AT&T. Hence, we request you to check with the carriers for further information regarding the query."

The devices which they speak of are Nexus, Google Edition, and Developer devices. Carrier branded devices will have locked bootloaders, regardless of carrier. The only way to unlock the bootloader is to push an over-the air update that will allow the bootloader to be unlocked, followed by an opt-in process to unlock the bootloader (that will in turn also void any warranties.) Since the amount of users that want an unlocked bootloader isn't justifiable to push an update that'd unlock it, AT&T will not take action to allow the unlock of a bootloader. It's not as simple as putting in a code, such as is the case with network unlocks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

It would be fine to AT&T give me written document saying that "AT&T will not unlock bootloader even if customer is out of contract". That would help me in my process of unlocking of my bootloader in "proper way". 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I need it unlocked.... im tired

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

It's 2015 this phone is old and yu guys still have us on lockdown why???? #wishicouldswitchtotmobile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Mmmmm..... So much for fufilling the customers needs.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Its complete crap that AT&T even locks them to begin with. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and almost out of contract. I have been with att for almost 20 years. I have had a Motorola and HTC androids, both rooted and modded. I have also had a iPhone that was jailbroken from the day I purchased it. Not once have I ever had to call AT&Ts sorry customer service because my phones were rooted or jailbroken. I will think twice before renewing my 5 phones and paying the 270 a month to Att once all my phones are out of contract. I paid for my phones I should be able to do anything I want to them. If I break it its my fault. I don't care one bit for warrantee or the rip off accidental damage contracts they try to sell. Void my warranty and unlock my phone. It was just decided that US auto makers cannot lock down the computers in cars, phones should be no different.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

The Bootloaders are locked by the manufacturer.  Yes, ATT asks for it.

You can go buy an unbranded phone and it's bootloader will still be locked if the manufacturer chooses to do so.  

Non carrier phones are easier to root.

Carrier phones are often encrypted as well as boot locked

The manufacturer looks at the product as a whole as theirs, hardware and software.  They don't want it altered.

If you don't want a locked phone, buy unlocked, un branded phones.  

I purchased the blue topaz GS6 off eBay, new and un fettered, for $510.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

What a copout answer. Att and Version are the only ones that lock bootloaders. If you don't work for att, please don't reply to my post, you answer is worthless to me. I paid for my phone from att. They chose to lock the bootloaders not the manufacturers. If my phone is paid for please don't tell me how I can change it or even break it if I want too. Its big brother trying to sell more phones, if people had the option to install new versions of Androids that would make the phones last longer hinse they would not sell a new model as fast.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.