Posted Aug 21, 2010
8:58:43 PM
View profile
Max size for tones/alert tones

I just looked in my User Guide thinking for sure this info. would be in there, but if it is it eluded me.  I just finished the process of finding a score I wanted to use as my alarm clock tone, converting it to wav, editing it with sound recorder, then converting to mp3 to put on my phone.  But now it's greyed out and I get this message when I try to select it:

"Unable to select.  File too large."

So what is the max size?  And is it different for alert tones than it is for normal tones?

Thanks in advance.  I've already gotten great help in here from some very kind folks :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 22, 2010 9:31:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by spades_mutt on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:40:38 AM

you didnt say what phone your using, but for nokia e71x its 300kb.

saw one of your other posts, did google search and seems like 300kb is the max size for your 6350

Accepted Solution

Max size for tones/alert tones

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2010 5:35:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have never seen anything about max file size published. I suggest encoding the mp3s at a very low bitrate in either mono or joint stereo. You will notice the sound quality difference on your PC, but I doubt you will notice it on the phone.

Re: Max size for tones/alert tones

2 of 5 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 22, 2010 9:31:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by spades_mutt on Aug 22, 2010 at 9:40:38 AM

you didnt say what phone your using, but for nokia e71x its 300kb.

saw one of your other posts, did google search and seems like 300kb is the max size for your 6350

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (1,171 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2010 7:50:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Lucid717 wrote:

I just looked in my User Guide thinking for sure this info. would be in there, but if it is it eluded me.  I just finished the process of finding a score I wanted to use as my alarm clock tone, converting it to wav, editing it with sound recorder, then converting to mp3 to put on my phone.  But now it's greyed out and I get this message when I try to select it:

"Unable to select.  File too large."

So what is the max size?  And is it different for alert tones than it is for normal tones?

Thanks in advance.  I've already gotten great help in here from some very kind folks :smileyhappy:

I just checked to see what type of files my clock alerts are on my Nokia Mural. They are aac files and they are all around 46 to 48, or so, kb. Is it possible that you wouldn't be able to use an mp3 for a clock alert?? Just a thought.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2010 2:42:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's 300 kb alright, give or take anyway.  I had a file that was exactly 300kb and it didn't fit, but one that is 295kb that does.  And to answer somebody elses question, yes, mp3 works just fine (for any tones).  In mp3 format, at 128 bitrate that gives you 18 seconds, tops for a tone. 

5 of 5 (1,061 Views)