Troubleshoot your device issues
Lucid717's profile

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 3:58 AM

Max size for tones/alert tones

I just looked in my User Guide thinking for sure this info. would be in there, but if it is it eluded me.  I just finished the process of finding a score I wanted to use as my alarm clock tone, converting it to wav, editing it with sound recorder, then converting to mp3 to put on my phone.  But now it's greyed out and I get this message when I try to select it:

"Unable to select.  File too large."

So what is the max size?  And is it different for alert tones than it is for normal tones?

Thanks in advance.  I've already gotten great help in here from some very kind folks 🙂

Accepted Solution

Mentor

• 

114 Messages

14 years ago

you didnt say what phone your using, but for nokia e71x its 300kb.

saw one of your other posts, did google search and seems like 300kb is the max size for your 6350

Scholar

• 

36 Messages

14 years ago

I have never seen anything about max file size published. I suggest encoding the mp3s at a very low bitrate in either mono or joint stereo. You will notice the sound quality difference on your PC, but I doubt you will notice it on the phone.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

14 years ago

@Lucid717 wrote:

I just looked in my User Guide thinking for sure this info. would be in there, but if it is it eluded me.  I just finished the process of finding a score I wanted to use as my alarm clock tone, converting it to wav, editing it with sound recorder, then converting to mp3 to put on my phone.  But now it's greyed out and I get this message when I try to select it:

"Unable to select.  File too large."

So what is the max size?  And is it different for alert tones than it is for normal tones?

Thanks in advance.  I've already gotten great help in here from some very kind folks 🙂

I just checked to see what type of files my clock alerts are on my Nokia Mural. They are aac files and they are all around 46 to 48, or so, kb. Is it possible that you wouldn't be able to use an mp3 for a clock alert?? Just a thought.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

14 years ago

It's 300 kb alright, give or take anyway.  I had a file that was exactly 300kb and it didn't fit, but one that is 295kb that does.  And to answer somebody elses question, yes, mp3 works just fine (for any tones).  In mp3 format, at 128 bitrate that gives you 18 seconds, tops for a tone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.