For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
hiddenside's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, September 7th, 2014 3:25 AM

Existing SIM card in a new unlocked phone?

Hello

New user here. I am sure this question has been asked multiple times before, however I just wanted to verify with my own specific case. Im mainly here to inquire about the process of using an unlocked phone. If I had purchased an unlocked phone will I still be able to use my plan simply by transferring my same sim card from my old phone to the new? Is it necessary to visit the store and have the phone registered to my number? Or is this alternatively a doable process at home? Will there need to be any activation or reactivation processes involved if I transfer the same SIM card?  I currently use a family plan shared with 2 others with unlimited text and 4G services.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

[Subject edited for better exposure]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

You should be able to switch SIM cards and everything should work as long as both phones use the same size SIM card. You may have to switch data plans as some phones use different data plans, but that can be done with a simple call to Customer Service, it does not require a different SIM card.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. This is exactly the answer I was needing. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I had a samnung and got a new gophone... tablet
I followed the instructions to remove the existing sim card and input into my new device. However I get many falures and features that are locked.
I gifted the old phone to my sister who also needed just the $2 a day only when you use it plan as neither of us can afford monthly plans.
I used the new device sim in the old phone thinking it would allow her to be on the same plan and now it's asking to choose the $25 a month plan.
Do I need the new sim that I put in the old phone?
Can I transfer my old phone and sim to her?
And most important can we both still use the $2 a day plan?
I forgot to mark the box to follow this... crap!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.