Troubleshoot your device issues
christopher97's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 24th, 2015 3:44 PM

Data Plan Changed

I went up to our local AT&T store in Americus, GA last week to get a new iPhone. At the time I had an HTC One M8 that was a pre-select phone when we transferred from Alltel. My family and I already shared 10GB of data on our phones and we had an unlimited air card from Alltel that was also replaced by a pre-select AT&T air card that had the same unlimited plan grandfathered in. When I got the new iPhone they said I had to make a few changes to my plan regarding our data. Our phones already shared 10GB of data and then we had the unlimited air card. Our air card was grandfathered in with the unlimited data. When I said that we shared 10GB of data on our phone with the unlimited air card they proceeded to put this into the computer but we lost our unlimited data on the air card. None of this was explained to me when I left the store. I left under the impression that the air card was stilll on unlimited data. I later found out that it was changed and only had 10GB of data on the air card. I called a corporate office and explained this to them and they told me that the system is set up that if they changed the air card from a grandfathered unlimited plan to a new data plan, it would pop up a warning four times saying that this option is irreversable and asked if we wanted to continue with that. They never told me of any warning that popped up nor that my air card would even be changed. I asked a friend about it later and he explained that the air card should only be changed if we upgraded the air card and that upgrading a phone should only alter the phone's data; not the air card. I am just wondering if I can get my grandfathered in plan back. No changes about the air card were made known to me until i checked the plan details.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

I am posting as an addition to the above as he is my son.

Well, this thread seems last year but my issue seems to be repeating in my area now today. My family was with alltell, so at&t took that over with our swap over being on 1-13-15. We have 4 phones. My wife watches the bills and info on the account. We had an alltell aircard with unlimited data. We got preselected phones and an at&t aircard. At&t advised we would keep our unlimited plan. On or about 1-14-15, my 17 year old son went to the at&t mobile store in Americus, Ga (where we do our mobile phone business) to see about possibly getting an iphone (had an HTC ONE M8). Well, he comes out of there telling me he got an iphone 6 plus stating that nothing was changed on our plan and that the iPhone cost was only the trade in of the HTC plus and payment $60.00. No mention was made to him of any 2 year contract or loss of grandfathered unlimited plan. He did call my wife 3 times while she was in a business meeting. She told him she was busy but got on the phone with Jaleisha (AT&T Store staffer, last name unknown as they do not put their last names on the name tags) and told her that there was to be no changes to the plan and giving verbal permission for our son to sign for the phone as long as we did not lose the grandfathered data plan and based on the same info told to our son. So 17 year old son goes to store to see about getting an Iphone (preferably not the latest model) with no intention of changing any plan. He is sold a bill of goods that includes the latest phone and a total change in plan. All to the apparent financial betterment of AT&T (and maybe the store, certainly not to us). My wife checked into it further and found the real deal. The grandfather was gone we now had a 36 month installment plan on the super phone, and we were now on a 30 g data plan. She went to the store personally and was stalled for 1.5 hours. She was told manager Tony at the store could fix it all. Tony never appeared and then she was told Tony had left for the day and would be unavailable for the next 2 days. She called the AT&T customer line (I could hear most of that conversation) and was told that they could not (not would not) put it all back like it was. My wife told them “Yes they could.” They put her on hold a couple of times to run ask the boss what to do. The first time they came back on line, they told her that could get it back in 3 days. They then came back on and said they could resolve (not fix) the matter by 1-29-15. My wife checked the phones and found that we actually had only a 15 g plan meaning that if we had used 30 gs, we would have a fat bill. My son went back to try to give the phone back to the store. They refused to take it.  I went to the store with my wife a couple of days ago just to see what vibe I would get from the staff. I got zero eye contact from them. A Ms. Trease  (last name unknown) stalled my wife a bit but basically gave us teh same info we had from AT&T. No grandfather restoration. She did take the phone back but so far has not refunded the $60.00 my son had paid them. We were told that the $60.00 was for the taxes on the phone. Tony was in the back of the store, according to my wife, but he would not look at us at all. Anyway, we will probably be terminating our business with them if this is not rectified immediately (fat chance, I know). I do have to wonder how many times this sort of thing is repeated. Oh, Trease now tells us that our son could have gotten a slightly older Iphone for only 99 cents? This all seems as transparent as mud. It just seems to me that it would not have been much skin off AT&T’s butt to have made this right.   

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

Wifey checked the payment  plan posted in the store for the iphone 6, no one could tell her why our payment plan was for 30 (mistaken as 36 months in previous post) months but the advertisement said 24 months. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

I don't like the way they have advertised the Next plans
The Next 24 plan has 30 installments, but you can trade in your phone in 24 months if you want to upgrade.
Next 18 has 24 installments, trade in and upgrade after 18
Next 12 has 20 installments, trade in and upgrade after 12
I signed up when it was 24 and 24, no early upgrade option.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

May I suggest you use this link.
https://forums.att.com/t5/Billing/Help-my-bill-is-more/m-p/4186382#M90228

An employee posted the third post and may be able to cut to the chase....
Good luck

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hello @spotonbum Thank you for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear you had a negative experience at the store. I’ll be happy to discuss any billing or rate questions with you.

Please send me a Private Message with the following information:

Your account or cell phone number.

The best time to contact you.

If this helps, please mark this answer as an accepted solution!

Thanks,

Charise

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.