Troubleshoot your device issues
erzhik's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, October 18th, 2011 4:46 AM

Can I use N9 on AT&T?

Hey, I have a question. I am about to get an N9 (imported), and I was wondering if I could use AT&T data plans on Nokia N9 since N9 is not actually sold in US? And does it matter if I have a normal data plan or blackberry data plan?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

You can use the N9 with at&t's data plans - the phone should provision the required settings automatically when you insert your at&t SIM card.  And you can use just a regular data plan - not a Blackberry data plan. 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Another question is, would Nokia N9 be recognise as a smartphone? In another word, would I be able to use it with non-smartphone data plan?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

12 years ago

@gapbriel wrote:

Another question is, would Nokia N9 be recognise as a smartphone? In another word, would I be able to use it with non-smartphone data plan?

It most likely will not be recognized as such automatically. However, should you keep using a lot of data your account is likely to be flagged, at which point someone might look into it and then they may recognize it as a smartphone.

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

I'm not sure if the amount of data you use has anything to do with getting flagged as a smartphone user... I think it's automated via your imei. If you have never owned a smartphone I don't think it would be discovered... But if you once had a smartphone then drop down to a regular data plan, they may flag your account knowing you once used a smartphone and force you back to that plan. Also... Seeing as at&t did not support symbian, would they even consider that a smart phone?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

12 years ago

@mlife wrote:
I'm not sure if the amount of data you use has anything to do with getting flagged as a smartphone user... I think it's automated via your imei. If you have never owned a smartphone I don't think it would be discovered... But if you once had a smartphone then drop down to a regular data plan, they may flag your account knowing you once used a smartphone and force you back to that plan. Also... Seeing as at&t did not support symbian, would they even consider that a smart phone?

They would if they saw it. And while I don't know for a fact that they check the amount of data, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I want to make a note for anyone using there N9 in the USA they gotta take a few steps in order to get Hotspot working.

I got my information from here: http://everythingn9.com/us-folks-how-to-fix-the-n9-wifi-crippling-issue/#comment-41206

Enable Developer Mode on N9 - Go to Settings > Security > Developer Mode and slide the developer mode toggle to the on position. Take note of and accept the warning. The first time you enable developer mode the N9 will download some files (so you need a network connection) and reboot.
Launch the Terminal: When Developer Mode is enabled, a Terminal icon app appears on the N9′s Applications home screen 
Become root (superuser): The command to become root in Meego/Harmattan is “devel-su”. The default password is “rootme”. So type the following:
devel-su
Password: rootme

Now type:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/wl1271/allow_adhoc

It will work until you reboot the phone, after you reboot the phone do the same thing again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.