Troubleshoot your device issues
nupe494's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 4:08 PM

4G Elevate Mobile Hotspot Not Charging

My 4G Elevate is not charging when it's on, a PC is connected to it through WiFi and plugged in to either a USB port or to an A/C outlet. This is quite annoying given I cannot keep it charged and essentially have to turn it off in order to do so. Is this normal?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah. so we are all still waiting for the fix.  Are they even caring or working on this issue? I know the billing department is working on charging us every penny they can sneak into our bills.  Where's the engineers and developers at?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Okay, took the heat thing to heart, took the battery case off the back, and placed it on an "ice pack"... water free of course.

The unit switched from the exclaimation point to flashing USB in about 5 minutes.

Seems that the new firmware has increased the power consumption and the internal electrical systems are shutting down the charging circuit.

I do know that I get the same thing when I use a 300mA charger versus a 600mA charger, but heat is the problem.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback regarding your experience with the Elevate Hotspot. I know this is frustrating and I appreciate the information you're providing. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have found that changing the range of the WiFi setting from Long, or Med range to a short range helps considerably with the heat issue.  This can be found in the setting using a Web brower connected to the Elevate hotspot.  connect your browser to 192.168.1.1 (Default) and log into the hotspot.

The setting can be found under Advance>Settings>Wi-Fi>Wi-Fi performance>Short Range

This will also increase your battery run times as well.  Yes It's a band-aide fix, but it is going to have to due until this issue is corrected.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Below is a "fix" from Sierra Wireless.  I cannot guarantee that it works, and it is too late a fix for me as I have now cancelled my service for this device.  Quite why AT&T and Sierra took  more than 4 months, I don't know... 

Good luck everybody

Ticket Number: {personal content removed for safety}

Subject : Device overheats since firmware update

Ticket Status: Open - In Progress

Date Created: 8/16/2012 5:45:55 PM

Date Updated: 8/17/2012 2:20:07 PM

Product Family: AirCard 754S

Operating System: N/A

Network Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Support Region: North America

Message: You will need to update the firmware. Please see links below.

Firmware update instructions:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/support/att/elevatefirwmareupdate-1.pdf

Firmware:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/Mobile_Hotspots/~/media/Support_Downloads/AirCard/software/754S/BZ43561_1101268_9900803_SWI9200H_03.05.09.06_ATT_001.024_000.ashx

Regards,
SWI Support

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I am sorry to tell you that after updating the firmware as described, although my unit has not yet power cycled, I am now getting the "!" on the battery icon, wihch suggests that the FIX DID NOT WORK.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

The supposes firmware fix is not an official firmware release.  It is not posted on Sierra Wireless site and is only available through the link provided by the poster.  I would be very careful when using unoffical firmwares as it can make problems worse.

I appreciate the link to the firmware,but I will not be using an offical firmware at this time

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi,

I had the same problem as everyone else.  Sierra's support page had the firmware update that was downloaded in March.  That's about when my elevate started not charging.  I connected the elevate to my laptop and reloaded the firmware update with the same problem.  Then I noticed they had a driver update that was offered about 2 months later.  I thought that was strange because no drivers were ever required.  Anyway, I installed the new drivers for the elevate with it connected to the usb port and the problem went away and has been working fine ever since (about a month).  I hope this helps.

Bill

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Is there any progress at AT&T for fixing this issue? What's taking so long? What are we paying you for? Are you crooks?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.