Posted Jun 5, 2012
9:08:34 AM
View profile
4G Elevate Mobile Hotspot Not Charging

My 4G Elevate is not charging when it's on, a PC is connected to it through WiFi and plugged in to either a USB port or to an A/C outlet. This is quite annoying given I cannot keep it charged and essentially have to turn it off in order to do so. Is this normal?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 6, 2012 12:00:37 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all....

The exclamation mark you're seeing is indeed a temperature warning and your Elevate will stop charging until the temperature reaches normal levels. 

Here are a few tips to avoid this issue:

• Place the Elevate device in a cooler location (e.g., take the device out of a laptop bag) until the exclamation mark on the battery icon disappears.
  • Stop using the Elevate device for a few minutes until the exclamation mark on the battery icon disappears.
  • Power off the Elevate device for a few minutes. 
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

4G Elevate Mobile Hotspot Not Charging

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2012 10:37:49 AM
(0)
Professor

It should charge when it's turned on and plugged in. Does the battery indicator flash USB when plugged into the USB port? When plugged into a wall outlet, are you using the included charger?

Try a different cable.

Re: 4G Elevate Mobile Hotspot Not Charging

2 of 48 (16,917 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2012 10:37:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm using the cable and charger it came with. I've even used a different cable but still the same result. I do get the USB flashing and from the elevate webpage, it says it's charging but when I look at the display, there is an exclamation point with a bar or two in the battery level indicator.

3 of 48 (16,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 12:58:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've noticed teh same thing; my Elevate hotspot is pugged in all the time to a wall outlet with the origial USB cable.  The status screen states "Charging", but instead of the percentage increasing, it declines - for example, one minute it says "Charging - 25%" or something like that (on the att.elevate status page), and a few minutes later it will say "Charging - 22%" - and eventually it will go to zero and shut off, at which point it will charge up again.

4 of 48 (16,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2012 9:45:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, that's exactly what mine does as well. It's quite frustrating! And it doesn't charge when the exclamation point is displayed in the battery status window but I can't get an explanation of what it's suppose to represent either. Does anyone have a solution to this problem is the product simply defective?

5 of 48 (16,717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 11:32:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same problem as well. Only started happening recently. Exclamation point trying to charge. It eventually dies and charges while it's off but that shouldn't happen.

6 of 48 (16,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2012 4:15:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Somewhere on the ATT website, it says that the exclamation point ! means that the device is overheating. The Techs do no seem to know that. I was told by another tech that you should not keep the elevate plugged in all the time. Charge it and then unplug. I have also found that if you use the Elevate while it was charging it will overheat and you get the ! and it stops charging. Another tech offerred that pulling data through while charging was too much happening and it overheats. I have seen it happen. 

I have started charging it while it is not polling the network. Plug it in and press the button to turn off. It will not turn off completely, but all you see is the charging battery symbol. Does not seem to get as hot as charging when it is polling for a signal.

A tech also said to discharge the battery completely 3 times when you first get it.

I am not sure the techs really know a lot about this device.

7 of 48 (16,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2012 3:48:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem.

I have a hard time accepting the device overheats when in use and charging. The battery does not last a long time so charging while in use is a needed feature. I would have expected Sierra to design something a little more user friendly and able to handle a reasonably expected situation.

I can only hope future versions of the LTE hotspots will incorporate the ability to robustly operate and charge simultaneously,

8 of 48 (15,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 5:16:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I too am having this issue of not able to charge the hotspot while using it powered on and plugged in to AC power charger.

When I bought into this 2 year plan back in November 2011 my hotspot worked fulltime for days plugged into the charger and stayed charged.

I believe ATT purposely disabled this functioning with the latest fireware update my unit received automatically I believe back in March 2012.  This is pure hogwash on their part if they are doing this to limit us paid subscribers data usage to save their network bandwidth.  I think further investigation needs to be done on this.  I believe it is a firmware issue causing our Elevate Hotspots to now all of a sudden not be able to be used for a permanent long term connection to the internet.  What the heck did I buy into this plan for?  I need it to stay up all day and night and not drain the battery when the USB charging cable is powering it.

ATT please put the firmware back to the way it was.  I know my hotspot used to be powered on for days without draining the battery when charger is connected to power it.  The old firmware that originally came with it worked better than this new firmware update they forced (sneaked) downloaded on us.  Is this a breach of our contract?  I want to cancel my service if this cannot be fixed or if they refuse to allow us to use the unit full time without running down the battery and losing connections.

9 of 48 (15,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 5:41:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
Btw, the signal reliability has also gotten worse with time too. Dunno what's up with that.

10 of 48 (15,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 5:14:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

I need help getting answers on this issue.  It seems that after the last firmware update ATT pushed out to the device, this Elevate hotspot will discharge the battery while it is on and in use even though you have the power charger USB cable connected to keep it charged. 
I depend on this connection to stay up and last all day for work and now it only works for about 4 hours and dies requiring you to turn it off in order for it to begin recharging again.  What a farce this firmware update is!  Before this update, I could use it almost continuously when the charger was plugged in!  But they took that away from us now.  Are any of you complaining about this to get a fixed firmware?  When is a new firmware going to be released?  This is terrible service ATT! It's not the way to raise your ratings and customer base.  Please fix this issue ASAP or release to us the choice to go back to the older working firmware.

ATT Elevate Hotspot wont charge while in use and plugged in.

11 of 48 (15,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2012 7:12:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same problem...thanks for the info posted here!

I believe the "overheating" theory is correct. While experiencing the non-charging problem, I aimed a large fan at the Elevate. After only a couple of minutes, the unit start to charge as expected both via the plug (the charge symbol started to flash) and via USB connection to the computer (the USB symbol flashed in the battery icon). 

As others stated, I've only recently experienced this problem...also after the firmware update.

12 of 48 (15,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2012 10:39:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am also getting the same issues since the last firmware update. Is this issue being addressed at all? It's really frustrating and basically makes the hotspot unusable as a business data device.

13 of 48 (15,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 6, 2012 12:00:37 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all....

The exclamation mark you're seeing is indeed a temperature warning and your Elevate will stop charging until the temperature reaches normal levels. 

Here are a few tips to avoid this issue:

• Place the Elevate device in a cooler location (e.g., take the device out of a laptop bag) until the exclamation mark on the battery icon disappears.
  • Stop using the Elevate device for a few minutes until the exclamation mark on the battery icon disappears.
--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 48 (15,621 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2012 2:51:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem for me.  I work from home and recently changed to sierra elevate from DSL.  I can almost make it through 8 hours by having two batteries fully charged in the morning and swapping out mid day.  Unacceptable for me.

15 of 48 (15,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2012 8:02:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I use it to work from home logged in through a VPN connection all day.  It used to last all through the day without discharging when I first got it. But after the update, it will no longer charge while plugged in when in use.  I have not noticed if the unit is overheating and the Exclamation (!) point was showing up because I don't look at the unit when I was using it.  Even if it were not charging because it is overheating, that is a design flaw (firmware and/or hardware) and not acceptable for me neither.  What changed in the new firmware that this thing is overheating?  Did they increase the RF amp power output to increase signal range? Whatever I cannot use it for business use any longer because it simply drops my work sessions (which I cannot afford to let happen) and disrrupts my work.  I have to wait for it to recharge and re-login to my work.  When in meetings, this is totally unacceptable to just fall off my meeting sessions and disappear without warning.  Get me fired for missing meetings! Dang.  What a flaw.  Please release the old firmware or fix the new one and re-issue it.  And please do it ASAP.  What am I paying locked into 2 years contract of this nonsense?

16 of 48 (15,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2012 8:08:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
I should add that my ATT Elevate is not covered up and laying exposed in free air in a cool air conditioned room. It cannot and should not be overheating. It has air flow all around it as I have it propped up all the times. So this is ridiculous. Right ATT? Are you going to offer us some sort of remediation? Discount for limited capability and usage? or fix it with a firmware release? I need it ASAP. Or will you let us out of the 2 year contract commitment? or what? I need help on this dilema!

17 of 48 (15,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2012 7:54:39 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry but I do not have any information on a new firmware update. 

As soon as I have any news about new firmware for the Elevate, I will update this thread.  

You can also keep an eye on the Sierra Wireless site for updated software. 

--------------

18 of 48 (15,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2012 12:10:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

My device is sitting on top of my desk and overheats even with LIGHT usage. We're talking about only using IM and email through a single device. Prior to the firmware upgrade, I had 3-4 devices connected to it with no overheating problems whatsoever.

It is completely unacceptable that the only remediation for this scenario is to stop using the device. 

19 of 48 (15,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2012 11:33:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue, and it has gotten worse during the warm months.  Even when using the device in a cool data center it still overheats.  The device always had gotten warm with the OEM battery whenever pushing data such as video streaming.  While  streaming the battery would go from 100% to 40% even when plugged in.

Now that I have purchased the Sierra Wireless extended battery the problem is now even worse.  It gets extremely hot and eventually will shut down.  Once it shuts down it will eventually charge to 100%.  The only time that the unit will stay charged is when I'm using it in the car with a micro USB charger while listening to podcast.  Even then every once in a while I will still have heat issues although the unit is not in sunlight but in the center console cabinet.  The extended battery is self defeating due to the heat issues, although the unit will last 12 hours per charge.

If I have the unit in a case on my belt there is no way that it won't shut down.  This happens even when there is no data flow at all.  It will get extremely hot so carrying the unit on my person is out of the question.  I have been running the new firmware since it was released.  It was pushed to the unit, and I wish that there was a way to opt out of the firmware upgrades because of reasons like this.  I hope that the next firmware will correct the heat issues.

20 of 48 (15,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2012 12:34:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Putting my Elevate device in the icebox is not a solution!

This overheat problem has been happening since April and the automatic firmware "upgrade".  After spending hours on the phone to AT&T and Sierra Wireless, I was told that a new upgrade would be out within a couple of weeks to fix it.  IT IS NOW AUGUST AND THE PROBLEM IS STILL HAPPENING.  

Please don't patronize us by telling us that the problem can be avoided by:

THE DEVICE TURNS ITSELF OFF AND IT CANNOT BE USED.  

In what way is AT&T actually dealing with this problem?  Can't AT&T just reverse the update?   Or how about fixing it?

If I sound upset about this, it is because I am.  I am in a contract with AT&T, I have to pay for shoddy service and have a device that is barely useful.  

21 of 48 (15,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2012 4:11:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah. so we are all still waiting for the fix.  Are they even caring or working on this issue? I know the billing department is working on charging us every penny they can sneak into our bills.  Where's the engineers and developers at?

22 of 48 (14,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2012 4:13:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Okay, took the heat thing to heart, took the battery case off the back, and placed it on an "ice pack"... water free of course.

The unit switched from the exclaimation point to flashing USB in about 5 minutes.

Seems that the new firmware has increased the power consumption and the internal electrical systems are shutting down the charging circuit.

I do know that I get the same thing when I use a 300mA charger versus a 600mA charger, but heat is the problem.

23 of 48 (14,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 6:39:16 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Thank you all for your feedback regarding your experience with the Elevate Hotspot. I know this is frustrating and I appreciate the information you're providing. 

--------------

24 of 48 (14,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2012 11:42:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have found that changing the range of the WiFi setting from Long, or Med range to a short range helps considerably with the heat issue.  This can be found in the setting using a Web brower connected to the Elevate hotspot.  connect your browser to 192.168.1.1 (Default) and log into the hotspot.

The setting can be found under Advance>Settings>Wi-Fi>Wi-Fi performance>Short Range

This will also increase your battery run times as well.  Yes It's a band-aide fix, but it is going to have to due until this issue is corrected.

25 of 48 (14,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 4:20:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:58:02 PM

Below is a "fix" from Sierra Wireless.  I cannot guarantee that it works, and it is too late a fix for me as I have now cancelled my service for this device.  Quite why AT&T and Sierra took  more than 4 months, I don't know... 

Good luck everybody

Ticket Number: {personal content removed for safety}

Subject : Device overheats since firmware update

Ticket Status: Open - In Progress

Date Created: 8/16/2012 5:45:55 PM

Date Updated: 8/17/2012 2:20:07 PM

Product Family: AirCard 754S

Operating System: N/A

Network Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Support Region: North America

Message: You will need to update the firmware. Please see links below.

Firmware update instructions:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/resources/support/att/elevatefirwmareupdate-1.pdf

Firmware:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/en/Support/Downloads/AirCard/Mobile_Hotspots/~/media/Support_Downloads...

Regards,
SWI Support

[ Edited ]
26 of 48 (14,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 5:03:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am sorry to tell you that after updating the firmware as described, although my unit has not yet power cycled, I am now getting the "!" on the battery icon, wihch suggests that the FIX DID NOT WORK.

27 of 48 (14,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 5:12:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
I suggest that you all should flood Sierra Wireless with support requests

http://mycusthelpadmin.net/SIERRAWIRELESS/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx?sSessionID=8F0C24134C7543D7A8587093...

28 of 48 (14,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 11:49:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

The supposes firmware fix is not an official firmware release.  It is not posted on Sierra Wireless site and is only available through the link provided by the poster.  I would be very careful when using unoffical firmwares as it can make problems worse.

I appreciate the link to the firmware,but I will not be using an offical firmware at this time

29 of 48 (14,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2012 11:43:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same problem as everyone else.  Sierra's support page had the firmware update that was downloaded in March.  That's about when my elevate started not charging.  I connected the elevate to my laptop and reloaded the firmware update with the same problem.  Then I noticed they had a driver update that was offered about 2 months later.  I thought that was strange because no drivers were ever required.  Anyway, I installed the new drivers for the elevate with it connected to the usb port and the problem went away and has been working fine ever since (about a month).  I hope this helps.

Bill

30 of 48 (14,329 Views)