Posted Sep 19, 2012
Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

639 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(639)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 24, 2014
(0)
Hows Lovells looking these days?

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2014
(0)
Lovells is looking good. There are 6 broadband panels installed now and I am guessing equipment is in place at the base station. The road leading up to the site has a gate so I can't get any pics up close. I haven't been up for 3 weeks but I am shooting for this weekend and will take a ride by the tower and see if they have activated it yet. With this lingering winter, that will put the crews a bit behind on running backhaul to the remaining sites.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2014
(0)

Any news on the tower at Pickford?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 25, 2014
(0)

Unfortunately no. It has been fairly quiet the last few months regarding upgrade info. Wierd that the tower in Cedarville has been HSPA+ for some time yet the site in Pickford is still 3G. 

American Ninja hasn't posted recently so I am assume there is nothing new from the Lathrop site. 

It is kinda shocking that AT&T has already begun it's LTE-Advanced deployment in several areas when there are still several towers on Edge.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2014
(0)

No new update. Still on E even though the antennas are installed on the tower.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014
(0)

Heard a rumor that Sault Ste Marie will be getting LTE soon. Have you heard anything?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2014
(0)
AT&T has turned up some LTE in the U.P. Rudyard, Kincheloe, Newberry, and Gould City are all live. The Soo should be very close!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2014
(0)
AT&T lit up LTE in Sault Ste Marie last night along with Petoskey and Tawas City. Woo Whoo!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2014
(0)

Meanwhile at the Lathrop tower....nothing.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 4, 2014
(0)
American Ninja.

I know you must be aggrevated to say the least. The only reason for that site to not be up and running has got to be backhaul. I am sure just like the Lovells site, there is a major issue with the T-1's preventing them from at least turning up UMTS/3G. I have heard that AT&T uses a minimum of 4 T-1's for backhaul on 3G/4G sites and quite possibly they didn't meet that when they constructed the tower.

Now no offense to the people around Gould City and Newberry, but those sites have received LTE already....really AT&T?? Areas such as Gaylord and Alpena have had HSPA+ for quite a while now but haven't been upgraded yet. Doesn't make sense!!

The crews are working hard to catch up on network upgrades and they will get there this year. Like I said before, lack of network investment in all of northern MI is the problem they are facing today.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2014
(0)

Yeah its frustrating to say the least.

att.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014
(0)

American Ninja:

To make matters worse, it appears AT&T has turned up LTE on the site in St. Jacques which is just southeast of you. The Lathrop site may indeed be upgraded from EDGE right to UMTS/HSPA+/LTE very soon. All of the new LTE coverage with the exception of Petoskey is now on the map:smileyhappy:

Screenshot_2014-04-11-21-23-29.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 15, 2014
(0)
AT&T's nationwide LTE coverage can now be viewed on the mobile version of the coverage map without having to zoom in. Here is the link:

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/coverageviewer/coverage-viewer-results.html

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014
(0)

My LTE symbol just came on in Alpena,MI

Randy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014
(0)

Nice!! Is it still on? Surprised because they usually turn it on after midnight and they don't test like Verizon. Was in Gaylord a few hours ago and is still H+.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014
(0)

It's still on.

Randy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014
(0)
Randu22,

Where abouts are you in Alpena? What's the closest landmark? Helps us figure out what tower you are pulling off of.

I'm in Rogers City, still H+ here.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014
(0)

Tpeltz,

I'm behind the cement plant on North Point Shores road.  It's back to 4G right now.

I can see the tower by Kmart which is right accross the lake from me.  But I think I am closer to the tower by Long Lake road where the old Detroit Gasket plant was ,which is just a short distance from Besser Company.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2014
(0)
Probably just testing LTE. I would expect it to go fully operational tonight late or sometime during the night this weekend. They usually don't turn up new LTE coverage during the day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2014
(0)

AT&T has launched 4G LTE in the following locations as of this afternoon:

Alpena, MI

Vanderbilt, MI

Rogers City, MI

Posen, MI

Wolverine, MI 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2014
(0)

Sault Ste Marie has had LTE for about one month. Lightning fast. Have gotten LTE in Pickford a few times. I think it's coming off the Rudyard tower. Should not be long before Pickford tower is LTE.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2014
(0)

LTE went live in Gaylord, MI tonight. More soon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2014
(0)

Still nothing at the Lathrop tower.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2014
(0)
That stinks. I would say backhaul is the issue so when they fire that tower up it should go right to HSPA+ and LTE. Have they added any additional panels to the existing 3?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2014
(0)

Nope, it's still the same when I went by there last weekend.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2014
(0)
American Ninja,

I did some research and discovered that the site in Lathrop is not actually owned by AT&T/Cingular, but rather American Tower LLC. Many sites in NE lower MI that are still E or 3G are owned by A/T as well. That could be a factor for the delay in Ethernet or Microwave backhaul along with site upgrades.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 16, 2014
(0)
American Ninja.....what is the status of coverage at your house? It appears AT&T deployed a massive wave of 3G and HSPA+ today. Check out the coverage map.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 17, 2014
(0)

No change here.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2014
(0)

I wonder when Escanaba, Gladstone and Marquette will be getting LTE? I thought they would've had it by now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2014
(0)

It is hard to say. Those areas have been HSPA+ for a while but that doesn't mean those sites were on Ethernet or Fiber backhaul, but I am sure they are very close to being ready.....if not already. By the end of July I suspect many sites in the U.P., including some that are still E, will have LTE turned up. 

I am suprised how long it took for Gaylord and Alpena to get LTE considering they were the first areas in N/NE MI to get 3G. 

[ Edited ]