Posted Sep 19, 2012
11:57:40 AM
View profile
Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

692 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(692)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 4:43:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sounds like they are done or gave up on the U.P. 

I would love to see a map that shows what their coverage will be after completion.

I for one am giving them until early summer to rid of this pitiful Edge service.  If not, I am jumping ship to "Red" with my 4 lines.   

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

541 of 693 (14,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 10:40:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:43:37 AM

No, AT&T did not give up on the U.P. With the onset of winter, that has basically idled backhaul and hardware upgrades at cell sites so they are now hitting (upgraded) sites in certain areas for LTE. Come spring, they be hitting those sites in U.P. and finishing up.  Also, LTE was tuned up in Midland yesterday giving complete coverage in the Tri-Cities area. I know it is frustrating being stuck with 2G.......been there!

[ Edited ]
542 of 693 (14,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 6:58:59 AM
(0)
Explorer
I moved to Midland a few months back and yes indeed...LTE is up and running here now! I started this thread back in November of 2012 while living in Alpena (when the data speeds reminded me of AOL dialup!) and since then, thankfully, the folks at ATT have made great strides to keep pace with big red. Hopefully the expansion of service upgrades continues at a steady pace for the rest of Michigan!

543 of 693 (14,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 10:45:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

Hey Lewyman..

Right now using my Moto X.  There's no 3g up on the hill by the towers behind the hospital either. It just flashes from HSPA+ back to Edge..

The main comm/tower area (charter/verizon/att etc..up there)  sits on a hill overlooking the town. clear line of sight from anywhere in town. There is no 3g..just edge.

The hospital sits on a plateau on the front side of that hill.

It's weird...

Wish we had other providers besides ATT/Verizon....

Although Verizon has 4g almost everywhere up here..Not a fan of Verizon at all though.

pain in the butt when i get calls for product and I can't login to my website, gmail app, google.com,ebay app...

riding in friend's truck yesterday..guy calls from Germany, wants around 3k in product (we sell custom knives/custom leather sheaths/bark river knives etc...we're close to Bark River and we get many of their 1x only never made again knives).

Full bars, times out, not near a wifi spot.

./end rant

I have a friend that splices fiber (that is not a fun job) here, i'll have to hit him up and see if he knows anything....

544 of 693 (14,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 12:44:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:54:33 PM

The area you are in is fringe coverage from a couple of towers in Wisconsin. I would have to say it will be anytime now when AT&T fires up 3G on those towers in your area there.

Post Edit: AT&T has lit up LTE in Manistee. 

[ Edited ]
545 of 693 (14,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:23:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

So last night we drove from Iron Mountain to Iron River for my daughter's basketball tourney....

she dropped 14pts and had 10rebs and 2blocks....i love my 5'9" 13yr old Kareem Abdul Jabbar....

We pull into West Iron's parking lot and I see a flash of 4g then the wifi kicks in and i didn't think more about it because like i said, it's happened a couple of places around here.

We get home and the other guy who coaches with me asks what the weird symbol is next to his bars because there's usually an E there. He's not very tech friendly.

I look at mine and lo and behold 4g.....

I turned my phone off and back on and 4g. I took a drive around town under the premise that "mom's at grandma and grandpa's helping them out and i'll take you out to eat"...

4g all through town now.

I would have been happy with Edge that would load a simple page or email, but since that hasn't happened in roughly 8yrs, so if 4g will, I'll take it.

546 of 693 (14,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 12:51:30 PM
(0)
Scholar
Excellent!! Congrats!!! They are running 2 months behind on their target date so I would say there are probably more towers that were turned up as well.

So you get a good "4G" signal at your house?? What dBm is your phone receiving?? Speeds should be decent and when they upgrade to true HSPA+ you will really see a difference.

One thing that AT&T started doing is exaggerating what they label HSPA+. Before the disclaimer said HSPA+ was service with *enhanced backhaul* (i.e. fiber ethernet backhaul). Now there are areas, specifically in the thumb, that are shown on the 4G HSPA+ coverage area(darker orange) that are still on T-1 backhaul with terrible speeds. Peck, Sandusky, and other areas in that part of the state are very slow. They should re-label that coverage as 4E Lol.

Anyway enjoy the new coverage!! AT&T has come a long way since last spring and they will be ramping up network upgrades in the next 4 months. Hopefully you will see 4G LTE on your phone by summer time:smileyhappy:

547 of 693 (14,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 9:27:49 AM
(0)
Scholar

Nothing new to report for the Lathrop tower. Still the same for now.

548 of 693 (14,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 9:32:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

yeah..the 4G is a misnomer, but for up here it's like going from a 14.4 baud modem (I had one when they were the rocking fast modem) to a T1.

I do get strong signal in the house and all throughout town and all the way to Iron River, which is 45-50miles westish of here.

I'm actually getting a pretty great signal. -59 to -64dBm.

It was nice to be able to work on the backend of my site while riding in the car for an hour....

fast enough for what i'd need it for..

549 of 693 (14,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 10:08:21 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Feb 3, 2014 at 10:17:37 AM

That is great to hear and there were 4 or 5 sites I believe that were turned up in your area. I know in Posen, which is in NE lower MI, tpeltz reported getting 11.5 Mbps down and 2.5 up on HSPA+ which is very good and on true "enhanced backhaul".

American Ninja.....it should be anytime now when they turn up the Lathrop tower and most likely the surrounding ones as well.

I would really like to know if the new site on Drumond Island is live yet and if the site in Goetzville is upgraded.

[ Edited ]
550 of 693 (14,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 4:17:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

LTE is now live in Midland, MI! This was turned on last week and the coverage map is still not updated for all of midland. After running a speed test this was the result

speedtest.png

Keep up the work ATT!

551 of 693 (14,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 4:39:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

c0n wrote:

So last night we drove from Iron Mountain to Iron River for my daughter's basketball tourney....

she dropped 14pts and had 10rebs and 2blocks....i love my 5'9" 13yr old Kareem Abdul Jabbar....

We pull into West Iron's parking lot and I see a flash of 4g then the wifi kicks in and i didn't think more about it because like i said, it's happened a couple of places around here.

We get home and the other guy who coaches with me asks what the weird symbol is next to his bars because there's usually an E there. He's not very tech friendly.

I look at mine and lo and behold 4g.....

I turned my phone off and back on and 4g. I took a drive around town under the premise that "mom's at grandma and grandpa's helping them out and i'll take you out to eat"...

4g all through town now.

I would have been happy with Edge that would load a simple page or email, but since that hasn't happened in roughly 8yrs, so if 4g will, I'll take it.

The statement I bolded above made me chuckle. Nice comparison - and a "GREAT JOB" to your daughter, by the way! I'm in Bay City and an apparent star (6' 3" sophomore) just transferred from AuGres to our Bangor John Glenn girl's varsity basketball team. Needless to say, AuGres was devastated, but Glenn welcomed her with open arms! :smileyvery-happy:

It's kind of strange to jump straight from EDGE to 4G LTE. It seems like there should have been some middle ground (3G) several years ago. Needless to say, glad to hear that AT&T has expanded its network to include some of the "less populated" areas around the state. 

Enjoy your LTE speeds - you make me want to upgrade to a newer LTE-capable smartphone! :smileytongue:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

552 of 693 (13,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 4:43:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

broski0508 wrote:

LTE is now live in Midland, MI! This was turned on last week and the coverage map is still not updated for all of midland. After running a speed test this was the result

speedtest.png

Keep up the work ATT!

Awesome! It's about darn time! I figured that Midland wouldn't have been far behind Bay City/Saginaw. 

Nice temp by the way. I feel ya on that one! :smileywink:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

553 of 693 (13,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2014 6:40:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T has upgraded the coverage map this morning. There are several sites in MI that been upgraded to HSPA+, including a site in Kingsford/Iron Mountain. It appears there is some new LTE west of Midland as well so AT&T is slowly continuing to upgrade.

554 of 693 (13,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 7:53:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
Looks like the map update shows the new cell site in Rogers City as HSPA+. This was previously UMTS (3G). Weird because it's still only using 4 T1's for backhaul and I haven't seen fiber ran to the site yet.

555 of 693 (13,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2014 12:33:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

The Thumb area has a few new HSPA+ sites that are still on T-1's as well. In fact, the areas around Sandusky are slower than UMTS in NE MI. Lol

Can someone in the western U.P. verify if the AT&T site near Amasa (NW of Crystal Falls on 141) is HSPA+ or still on Edge? The coverage map shows a small square of HSPA+ centered at the site. Either that, or the coverage map is Wonky again!!

Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-31-03.png

Screenshot_2014-02-16-14-31-17.png

556 of 693 (13,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 10:39:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T turned up LTE in Traverse City last night. Band 5.

557 of 693 (13,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2014 5:27:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Lewyman wrote:
AT&T turned up LTE in Traverse City last night. Band 5.

GREAT! I'm sure all the tourists will appreciate that! :smileyvery-happy:

558 of 693 (13,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 11:43:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T is currently drive testing LTE in Presque Isle, Cheboygan, and Otsego counties. Should be live very soon. 

559 of 693 (13,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 7:10:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
AT&T LTE went live in Cheboygan and Charlevoix last night.

560 of 693 (13,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2014 3:55:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hopefully, it won't be long before we see LTE here in the UP.

Lot's of tech upgrades coming this year. We are supposed to have 50mg internet speeds here in six months according to CenturyLink. And hopefully LTE this year would be an added bonus.

561 of 693 (13,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2014 8:50:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
JREwing53:

Yes. LTE will be turned up in your area by the end of the year although it won't be 50 Mbps.....at least not in the immediate future.

Have you heard any word on the new site on Drummond or 3G on the site near Goetzville?? There are still far too many towers still on EDGE in the U.P.

562 of 693 (13,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 8:17:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

Lovells, MI tower update:

Back at the end of November, I posted a pic of the tower in Lovells (page 17) that had received 3 new broadband panels sectorized under the omni's. This past Saturday, I drove by there again and was surprised to see an additional set of panels which were installed sometime during the winter. This newest set has large units mounted on the back which appear to be RRU's so I am betting they are LTE/AWS panels. The tower is still E as of yesterday but is scheduled to be lit up by the end of March. When fiber E/B is in place(if not already) it will go live shortly after. Pretty much from E to 4GLTE overnight. Many towers in northern Michigan will also be getting LTE sooner, rather than later.

AT&T is also starting to launch a second physical layer of LTE in SE Michigan. In addition to Band 17 (700 MHz), they have launched LTE on Band 2 (1900/PCS) in parts of Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti.

Lovells tower- 3/8/14

P1140756.JPG

563 of 693 (12,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2014 9:40:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T LTE is now live in West Branch, MI. 

564 of 693 (12,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2014 4:53:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

LTE is live in Indian River as of last Saturday (3/15/14). No LTE in Gaylord or Grayling yet as of 3/15/14.

565 of 693 (12,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 1:11:41 PM
(0)
Teacher
Not sure if everyone has seen this...go to att.com/network and scroll down a little. Click on "flipping the switch" and it brings up a map for forecasted 2014 LTE coverage.

Decent expansion but of course not 100%.

566 of 693 (11,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 3:58:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

Nice catch. I didn't see that on their site. I would certainly hope that isn't an accurate projection but seeing how many EDGE sites still remaining it wouldn't surprise me at this point. 

567 of 693 (11,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 6:01:11 PM
(0)
Scholar
Looking closer at the coverage map shown under "flip the switch", the projected coverage in NE lower MI is depicted incorrectly compared to what it will actually be. There will most certainly be full LTE coverage along M-32 from Gaylord to Alpena and on M-68 from I-75 to Rogers City. The U.P. looks pretty stingy as well:smileyhappy:

568 of 693 (11,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 5:43:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

This is through the end of 2014, so I guess in theory, that doesn't mean they won't expand further in '15.  

Are those areas slated for '14?  Nobody ever really knows what ATT is doing, inlcuding themselves.    

569 of 693 (11,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 8:08:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
The map just states the projected coverage is coming sometime in 2014 and for some reason doesn't allow you to zoom in to see exactly which sites they are including.

Now from what I have been told, there will be straggler sites that cannot be upgraded to LTE and will have to be relocated to new or existing towers that can support all the new equipment. Mainly those old Dobson sites are the culprits which may carry over into 2015:smileysad:

The areas I mentioned along M-68 and M-32 have LTE equipment flown and have, or are in the process of having fiber ethernet backhaul in place. In my own opinion, the areas shown on the"flipping the switch" map should have LTE service by summer. Considering the existing LTE coverage now across MI, AT&T should really start ramping up LTE upgrades in northern MI just as Verizon did last spring/summer:smileyhappy:

Your are 100% correct....nobody knows for sure not even AT&T:smileyhappy:

570 of 693 (11,092 Views)