Posted Sep 19, 2012
11:57:40 AM
View profile
Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

692 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(692)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 9:57:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

The voice (2G) coverage has been restored on the coverage map.:smileywink:

I agree, it is surprising that Midland isn't covered with LTE yet, but it appears they have fired up some new coverage south of Midland so it shouldn't be long before they get it. For what ever reason, AT&T has only upgraded a hand full of towers this last month and a half, and my source hasn't been able to find out why. Hopefully. the rest of the sites will get tuned up in the final push this week.

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

511 of 693 (15,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 10:06:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

Still nothing from the Lathrop tower. Im guessing it won't go live until spring now with the ways things have been going.

512 of 693 (15,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2014 8:38:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

American Ninja.

Still no 3G/4G from the Lathrop Tower? With the towers that have broadband panels already installed up top, the weather is no excuse to not have upgraded service on those sites by now.

513 of 693 (14,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2014 9:46:30 AM
(0)
Scholar
Nope not yet. I'm getting 4G but not from the Lathrop 2-3 bars. When I go to the Lathrop tower I get 5 full bars of E. So I dont know what the hold up is.

514 of 693 (14,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2014 11:22:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
Wow....at least you are getting a 4G signal instead of E. AT&T did upgrade a lot of areas in northern MI this past year but fell short of their goal of having statewide HSPA+ by the end of Q4 2013. Here in the Lewiston area, both towers are still 3G/UMTS even though my device shows HSPA PLUS and it is apparent from the slower speeds that the sites are still on T-1 (copper) as well.

515 of 693 (14,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2014 2:17:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
I have no idea where I'm getting a 4G signal from. It's not from the Lathrop tower and I'm too far away from Gladstone. Only way I get the 4G signal is if I put my phone by my window and turn on/off airplane mode. If I don't do that, then I'm on Edge with about 4-5 bars by my window.

516 of 693 (14,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 9:59:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
Just got word that AT&T has launched LTE in and around the Cadillac, Mi area.

517 of 693 (14,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 5:54:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was in the Houghton Lake/Prudenville area this past weekend at a family member's cabin in the woods. Service there is usually nonexistent and dismal at best. I'm lucky if I can get 1-2 bars of EDGE. However, on the way up (Greenwood/Maple Valley Rd.) I noticed a somewhat solid 2 bars of 3G holding a pretty steady connection. Inside the cabin, I even had a bar of 3G when even as recent as this past summer I had never once seen even a flash of 3G. It's kind of interesting to see because my phone will switch from GPRS to EDGE to 3G and back all within a few minutes. EDGE is undoubtedly the most reliable, but it's nice to see that AT&T must be making some network improvements. Otherwise, I would have no logical explanation for the 3G signal! 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

518 of 693 (14,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2014 7:35:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:38:25 PM

Wild Banchi

That is awesome. From what I have learned, AT&T is using a single carrier, 5 MHz of 850 (cellular) spectrum for the new 3G deployments in northern MI.  Basically, that means the 3G or 4G signal (depending on your phone ) is propagating out from the tower just about as far as GSM or "E".  I have found that in the "fringe" areas of service in northern MI, my device holds "4G" rather than switching back to "E", like how Verizon's LTE falls back to 3G in these fringe areas. One thing to note also, the signal is getting out better now that the leaves are off the tree's.

For anyone who gets a week to very week 3G/4G signal at home, try a Wilson cellphone craddle booster. I had mine last weekend at my brother n laws cabin between Lewiston and Grayling where I usually get 2 bars of E. This thing boosted the signal to 3 bars of usable "4G" from the tower in Red Oak roughly 4.5-5 miles away. I was able to stream video without it stopping to rebuffer.   

[ Edited ]
519 of 693 (14,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 8:16:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
Have you heard anything from your source about the Lathrop tower?

520 of 693 (14,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 8:52:32 AM
(0)
Scholar
I will try to find out. They should have fired it up already.

521 of 693 (14,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 5:03:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
There is new coverage on Sensorly. Almost all of 41 is now ATT 4G from Gladstone to Marquette. But from M-35 Perkins to gwin is still Edge.

522 of 693 (14,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 7:50:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

I can say that the 3G/4G signal is getting out farther than what the coverage map is depicting:smileyhappy:  I studied the AT&T coverage map for a while this evening and pretty much figured out there are 8 or 9 towers in NE lower MI that are still 2G but haven't checked the U.P. yet.

I am still waiting for a reply regarding the tower in Lathrop. I also asked why certain towers, including the Lathrop site, only have 1 broadband panel per sector. Every single site I have seen has 2, 3 on sites with LTE.

Well, the deep freeze has set in and I think all the AT&T tower crews have migrated to Florida for the winter. :smileyfrustrated:

523 of 693 (14,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 2:56:50 PM
(0)
Scholar
Just a quick note....it shouldn't be very long now until the new tower on Drummond Island is up and running. When that site goes live, it should have HSPA+ w/fiber backhaul right from the get go soon followed by LTE.

524 of 693 (14,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 8:33:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

Hi guys/girls,

Still on Edge..haven't seen trucks or spots of hspa+ or 3g since last time I posted.

Makes it awesome to run a business when not in the office and need to check email or go online.

I'd rather have a 14baud modem like I did in '89 on BBS... This is getting depressing and ignorant.

there's no competition  up here though. ATT/Verizon/Charter and their various mnvo.

Pardon the emo rant. Frustrating to not be able to use a service (data) that you pay for. When google.com times out with full "signal" I'm stuck finding a McDonald's to use their WiFi....

525 of 693 (14,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2014 5:44:53 PM
(0)
Scholar
You good folks up there have a right to be upset and I don't blame you at all. AT&T has decided to upgrade their entire network, but unfortunately they have been trying to do literally years worth of work to catch up in a short period of time. Don't know why they didn't even upgrade EDGE to Class 10 across their entire network years ago. I can lock my device in E here downstate and get 200 Kbps down and 90 up which loads webpages quickly.

I am starting to think that backhaul is the culprit for a majority of those towers up there not being upgraded yet.

526 of 693 (14,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 6:27:10 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Tpeltz on Jan 12, 2014 at 6:27:24 PM

3/31/14 is the target date for all current active UMTS cell sites in NE MI to have enhanced backhaul and LTE live. Moreover, AT&T will be deploying HD Voice over their UMTS (3G/HSPA+) network VERY soon. Training will be this week in Chicago for some AT&T employees. I expect that HD Voice over UMTS will be active by the end of Q1. 

[ Edited ]
527 of 693 (14,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 7:07:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
Interesting. What is HD voice? Just higher quality calls?

528 of 693 (14,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2014 8:14:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, much higher quality calls using the AMR-WB voice codec. Check out this video for a sample of HD Voice: http://youtu.be/LXEIi2JwgR4

It doubles the sampling rate of the human voice and reduces background noises substantially. 

529 of 693 (14,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 4:16:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jwagger on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:17:39 AM

There have been many different target dates within the last two years and I don't believe ATT hit any one of them.  I don't think many of us will be holding our breath or sipping the kool aid.  Target dates for ATT are arbitrary dates they throw out to keep people happy and have something to look forward to.  Funny thing is it makes matters worse.  People would like the truth and a concrete date rather than being strung along month after month.

Oh and HD Voice is something TMobile has had for the last year, so it's nothing novel that ATT is releasing. .   

[ Edited ]
530 of 693 (14,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 6:46:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Lewyman on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:01:57 AM

Well, target dates that a few of us have given aren't "officially" from AT&T, but rather from people who are actively involved in working on the towers and network buildout. It is hard to say exactly what the hold up is in regards to the majority of 2G only sites that haven't been upgraded yet, but I am guessing it is the backhaul. I agree it is frustrating to say the least.

As far as T-Mobile.....you can't really compare them to AT&T. Their native coverage area, including Metro PCS's assets, only covers about 1/3 of Michigan and not all of their coverage area has HD voice or even 3G. My area (Romeo/Almont) has Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint LTE already but T-Mobile is still 2G only and they roam on AT&T's network in the northern 2/3rd's MI. Lol

Edit: I guess my point is yes T-Mo had HD voice for a while but in limited areas. AT&T will be launching theirs over their entire 3G/4G network which is much larger than T-Mo's. By summer, AT&T's 4G/LTE network should be much larger and faster than it is today:smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
531 of 693 (14,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2014 4:05:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

@jwagger - These are target dates like I mentioned, goals that AT&T's network team wants to reach. The date I posted isn't from a sales rep or store rep. I get my info from network engineers within AT&T.

No one claimed that AT&T is the first to offer HD Voice. I was just pointing it out so that people know it will be live soon. It's a great feature and will be much more enjoyable than the current voice codec AT&T uses. Moreover, T-Mobile doesn't even provide service to northeast Michigan like Lewyman stated, so it is a nonstarter. 

532 of 693 (14,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 4:33:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am not referring to your target dates specifically.  I am referring to ones the CSR or sales people state or public announcements like "ATT will cover their 2g footprint by end of 2012" or ATT will cover their 2g footprint by end of 2013" or "LTE will be substantially complete by end of 2013".  It is just frustrating.  

Yeah tmobile's native network is no where near ATT and I wasn't claiming such either.  For people that spend 90-100% of their time in a metro area it is a better choice than ATT really (faster speeds in general, better voice quality and CHEAPER).  But for Michiganders that travel north or live in some of the more rural areas, it makes no sense with 2g and 50MB of roaming.  However, I would go with them before Sprint.  

I just feel I made a mistake on my last re-up as I should've brought the fam to Verizon.  I guess I am mad at myself for getting sucked in and venting here.    

533 of 693 (14,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2014 7:17:52 AM
(0)
Scholar
jwagger:

You have some legit points and always feel free to post them here. For what ever reason, there are still a lot of towers on E and AT&T did state that they would have their entire network upgraded to 3G by the end of 2013. Actually, it was supposed to be on HSPA+ "4G". AT&T did years worth of upgrades to their network last year but unfortunately they didn't finish up before winter.

T-Mobile is guilty of falsely advertising their network as a "nationwide 4G network" Lol...... they're not even close to having their own nationwide network.:smileyhappy:

Hopefully, you will have a much faster network in your area this spring.

534 of 693 (14,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 10:22:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

I did some tests with my phone today. I put it in field test mode and put it by my window. I got -77 while on Edge. Turned on airplane mode then turned it off and got -99 on 4G.

535 of 693 (14,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 11:41:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
-99 dBm on 4G isn't bad at all considering where the nearest 4G tower is to your general area(according to the coverage map). If you were to get a Wilson cradle booster with an antenna that mounts on the window, I bet you would get a solid 3-4 bars of 4G with no switching back to E.

I haven't heard back from my source regarding the Lathrop site unfortunately. I would be disappointed if they pulled their resources away from the remaining areas of 2G for their LTE buildout.

536 of 693 (14,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2014 12:38:43 PM
(0)
Scholar
Oh ok. I still don't know where in getting this 4G signal from.

537 of 693 (14,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 2:25:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm thinking this upgrade is going to be like the 2.1Billion that Verizon had in tax breaks in PA in '94 to get fiber to 100% of the state. AKA never going to happen. If Edge would load a basic webpage I'd be happy. I don't stream etc..with my phone. I just want to check my e-commerce site and email without google.com timing out.

I can, however, be 2hrs north in the Copper Country at inlaws house in Houghton and have HSPA+ from there to Lake Superior where the family farm sits in the middle of nowhere.  MTU ftw.

Still Edge around the entire area until I get to Goodman, Wisc. Roughly 880 people HSPA+.

Crazy.

538 of 693 (13,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 6:07:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

the past few days I've noticed that the within 800-1000 feet (or less) from the Hospital is 4g, rest of the town is still on Edge.

Anyone else up this way (Dickinson County) have any new info?

539 of 693 (13,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 10:39:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
c0n

It is really hard to say what is going on. My source told he that he doesn't have a lot of visibility with the 3G buildout in the western U.P. but has heard AT&T has moved most of the crews to lower MI to work on their LTE deployment. There are still many towers in NE lower MI that are on EDGE as well, so the onset of winter has more than likely hindered backhaul and site upgrades.

The area you mentioned by the hospital and around town appear to be in the "fringe" coverage area, but should be enough to get a fair 3G signal. What kind of phone are you using? The reason being newer phones like the iPhone 5 or 5S, for example, will hold the 4G signal much better than older 3G phones..

When spring arrives, crews will be working to finish upgrading those sites and rest assured....the network up there will be much faster come this summer.....

540 of 693 (13,626 Views)