Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:

The network here is just lightning fast this evening. Don't know what is going on but I have a feeling AT&T is getting ready to fire up LTE very soon here. I can honestly say I have never seen uploads on HSPA+ this fast and consistant as they are running right now. The speeds from my hotspot are faster than my DSL as well.

Screenshot_2013-08-07-17-45-29.png

You need to turn your wifi off. Those are your wifi, not your network speeds.

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

This screen shot I uploaded is from my Verizon phone . The WiFi is on and is connected to my AT&T hotspot running on their data network. The WiFi connection speed between our phones and a DSL/Cable modem/Hotspot is around 75 Mb/s. These speeds are the actual throughput speeds on AT&T's HSPA network. I sent a test email with a 5MB picture and it took less then 10 seconds to send. My uploads are back to around 1.5 and I can't figure out why they spiked up so high. I am thinking they are getting ready to light up LTE or they are testing AWS running on HSPA+.

Edit: Not to be confusing but the screenshot I uploaded with 10.8/2 Mbps was taken using my old HTC Vivid phone after swapping the SIM out from my Mifi Liberate hotspot. This last upload with multiple speedtest results was taken on my Verizon Droid DNA connected to the Mifi Liberate. Those results are actual AT&T network speeds.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Any word on Lovells or Grayling yet?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Grayling area is live. Full coverage from St Helen all the way through Vanderbilt. The Lovells tower has not been upgraded with broadband antennas yet as of last weekend. Probably in the next month or two.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

4G speeds are blazing fast here in Pickford. HSPA+ showing on my device. Yesterday, we traveled to Mackinaw City and it was solid 4G all the way. Cedarville is fired up now as well.

Then we drove to Drummond Island and noticed that Detour is now showing 4G.

So it looks like we are making progress.

Now the bad part: Took a trip to Munesing Friday,and noticed that it's solid Edge over there.

At least the eastern UP is getting covered. I could not be happier.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Very cool. Was it solid 4G all the way from Cedarville to De Tour? If so the tower near Goetzville is live as well and I bet Drummond is lit up now too. The tower in Gould City also has 4G .....near the Manistique lakes.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:
Very cool. Was it solid 4G all the way from Cedarville to De Tour? If so the tower near Goetzville is live as well and I bet Drummond is lit up now too. The tower in Gould City also has 4G .....near the Manistique lakes.

I don't think Goetzville is live yet.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Ok. It probably won't be long now. I can't wait to get back up there and do some scouting:)

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman wrote:
Ok. It probably won't be long now. I can't wait to get back up there and do some scouting:)

It was solid 4G all the way from Mackinaw City to Detour/Drummond Island. Once I got a few miles north of Detour heading back to Pickford via the back way, I got a big fat X on my phone. No cell coverage and not data obviously.

The big roll of cable is still hanging on the pole outside the gate at the Pickford tower. Curious what they are going to use that for. It's been hanging there for three months now.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Hey.....the new coverage map is out today:-D
I am curious to see what that wire is also. Could be just extra phone line because AT&T has those hanging on the poles around here as well.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.